Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Docs/Nurses. When will dissolvable stitches….. err dissolve?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Had 5 stitches in my mouth on Thursday night after a rock interface. It’s well healed now (5 and a bit days later) but the stitches are somewhat flapping around in my mouth! Pissing me off slightly to be fair, what’s the usual decay rate for these little feckers, or do I need to go back to get em pulled out? Cheers in advance!

philconsequence
    Free Member

sounds like tapeworm AIDs

HTH x

wrightyson
    Free Member

No it was definately a big rock that caused it 😉

bruneep

No it was definately a big co ck that caused it

😯

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yup I admit, I was trying some self enjoyment!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Anyone?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dunno – I was always told a week or so.

If they are annoying you make an appointment with the practice nurse at your GPs to get them removed

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Yes… or maybe no… In different people they dissolve at different speeds… And in most people the inside of the mouth heals really quickly.

I know what you mean – I had some plastic surgery to the inside of my lip (after using my face as an alternative way to land a jump) 2-3 weeks ago. After 4 or 5 days it was driving me potty so I removed the stitches one by one over the next few days… and then some of the deeper sutures started to come out through a small hole in the inside of my mouth by themselves…

Interestingly I found a pair of nail scissors hugely better than the stitch-remover blades we use on patients at work…

I am NOT recommending this strategy by the way!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Got to see the nurse tomorrow now anyway to have the tetanus booster they forgot to give me at A and E. Just as an aside, you guys know anything about metronidiazole? It was given to me to prevent infection, from what I read it’s a pretty potent drug, but then again the Internet is not always the best thing to believe!

DrP

Tastes rank, sends you loopy if you drink booze….

DrP

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mmm that was my concern regarding the Stella!

restless
    Free Member

i have had dissovable stiches before that didn’t disolve and had to be removed. they got tighter and tighter so had to be picked out.

i have also had that medication before for dental problems and it makes me feel really floaty and dizzy (without drinking). i was told not to mix it with any booze else it would make me really sick.

Bedds
    Free Member

I had disolvable stitches in my eye following a vitrectomy.. they didn’t disolve so the surgeon cut the knot them pulled them out whilst i ‘watched’ felt wierd!

No use at all to OP but i i love the story 🙂

dr_death
    Free Member

Depends what stitch they used….

Max-fax usually use Vicryl Rapide (or similar) inside the mouth so should take approx imately 7 days to dissolve (5 according to the manufacturers but that’s a lie)

Also, if the only cut is inside your mouth you probably don’t need tetanus (also if you were born after 1961 and had all your jabs as a kid; also the fact that it’s 6 days later and you’re still alive….)

HTH

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve got non-dissolvy ones in my knuckle at the moment, wound is well healed 4 days in but the stitches are ripping through the flesh. Just about to use the nail scissor method as I CBA booking another doc visit for them to pull them, plus things hurt less when i do them myself.

Ever noticed it’s far less painful to take a razor blade and slice out a splinter than let someone else loose with tweezers?!Maybe it’s a control thing.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Metronidazole is used to treat anaerobic bacteria, the gums are susceptible to anaerobic bacteria.
    When I worked on ICU metronidazole tended to be used by general surgeons pre or post abdominal surgery, again the gut being full of anerobes

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Docs/Nurses. When will dissolvable stitches….. err dissolve?’ is closed to new replies.