Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Do you use your bike for grocery shopping?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Public confession: I prefer using my bike for fetching groceries. Used to go once a week usually on one afternoon, fill panniers and front rack with four bags of food, carry bottles ie bleach/sauce etc in drinks holder and then struggle back up the hill. Fortunately there is a cycle path right from the supermarket followed by a cheeky, barely-used footpath which gets me within half-a-mile of home, mostly minus the risk of being knocked down by one of those impatient-type car drivers.

Now I go twice a week, naturally carrying half the weight of a once-weekly trip. And I travel at night. Late shop, ie 9pm. Love it. Even if it’s raining. Feel cheated if I ever go in the car. I eventually got a hefty utility bike just for this purpose (thnks STW classifieds)

Any other weirdies here? I say ‘weirdies’ because there are usually a few hundred cars yet only two bicycles max parked outside the supermarket. Including mine. I think the other one is an employees.

scaled
    Free Member

I did, then someone stole my saddle and seat post while I was grabbing 4 pints of milk. That kinda put me off.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Yes, always – either the free Waitrose bike trailers, or pop a couple of bags on the bars to go down the Farmers’ market

I don’t use a car at all, on the rare occasions feet, bike or public transport won’t suffice I pay someone to drive me, far more civilised and cost effective 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

This is where the Big Dummy / Xtracycle really comes in. 4 “Bags for Life” without too much bother – very easy to load and nice and stable. Garden centre here instead:

😀

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I did, then someone stole my saddle and seat post while I was grabbing 4 pints of milk. That kinda put me off.

Sucks 🙁

I recommend extra cable-lock, securing saddle to frame. Wouldn’t be beaten that easily. You’d soon recoup the lock cost by saving fuel.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I did for a while but the packing things into to lots of bag anoyed me. I was commuting a lot at the time so driving to tecoberry’s didn’t matter much. I think Iwould be mor inclide with a trailer of utility bike that I could just throw all of my shopping into with less thought.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Confession? I used to always cycle, these days I’m so close I usually walk. Only drive if I’m already out in the van for some reason (like today, taking garden rubbish to the tip).

D0NK

used to. Then started using the car as I had kids to ferry around and subsequently a bigger shopping list. Now I usually shop on my own but still drive. Sticking everything into a big box, heave into boot, drive home heave into kitchen a lot more convenient than bagging up, debagging etc.

Wouldn’t mind a cargo bike for school runs, if I did have one grocery shopping would be back to 2 wheels I reckon.

weeksy

It’s 9 miles each way for me, if I take the dirt route it’s 8 but more hills. Add to the fact I’m not leaving my pride and joy outside a supermarket then carrying a tonne of shopping home with me.

thenorthwind

Most of the time yes.

When I lived in a shared house and only shopped for myself, I always took a 65 litre rucksack and got about two weeks shopping in it. I refused to miss out on bulk buy offers just because I was on my bike. Every time I got to the checkout I’d think “I’ve overdone it this time” and that I’d have to leave something behind. I never did.

Then I built a bike trailer which carries 2 or even 3 green bale-arm crates (like you get shopping delivered in).

Now I live with my girlfriend and a big shop’s too big for a rucksack and the trailer’s out of action at the moment. Sometimes we’ll both go with 65 litre rucksacks, but she’s more inclined to use the car. She says it’s quicker – it’s not – the supermarket’s 5 minutes away by bike or car (longer route) so any time difference is minimal. My sop to this is we go once a month or less and get loads of tinned/boxed/dried stuff – all the heavy bulky stuff that keeps forever – and then just top up more regularly on the bike(s).

One thing I have learnt is that taking crates to the supermarket is so much easier than messing around with bags (even the big reusable ones) even in the car. Stack 2 or 3 empty crates in trolley -> fill -> load onto checkout -> stack back into crates -> lift into car. Much more efficient than bags.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

bigdummy – liking the Big Dummy! Looks like a weighty load on the back, but yr front rack is criminally unused, and possibly shrunken 😉

Justreminded me, I bought a full-on Xtracycyle kit some years back, with the intention of converting an old MTB (M-Trax) into a longtail load-carrier.

Spent ages arranging/awaiting a sunny day at a friend’s house (including use of lawn) – laid all the parts out, assembled and offered up the Xtracycle frame, calculated/added links to make a longer chain, organised tools, read manuals x 3, disassembled rear of bike and then discovered that my dropouts were completely ***** useless for fitting the kit :x. I wanted to go full-on Hulk and throw the entire thing through the air, possibly the conservatory, but being English I simply had a cup of tea and grumbled while patiently putting everything away, tutting.

hooli

I very rarely go food shopping in/on any mode of transport. It is something I really dislike doing so I pay a few quid to have it delivered. It costs less than the fuel needed to drive to the supermarket and back and means I can spend the time doing something I enjoy.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I very rarely go food shopping in/on any mode of transport. It is something I really dislike doing so I pay a few quid to have it delivered. It costs less than the fuel needed to drive to the supermarket and back and means I can spend the time doing something I enjoy.

Ah, you see – that never occurred to me! I might also be weird for actually enjoying food shopping. So combining at least 4 enjoyments (cycling + shopping+bargain-hunting+pack-and-carrylympics) in one is a win-win. Nowt stranger than folk 8)

Every time I got to the checkout I’d think “I’ve overdone it this time” and that I’d have to leave something behind. I never did.

^+1. That’s the sporting element. I swear I ‘accidentally/can’t resist a bargain’ bag extra just to test mettle*

*Once met a couple with a jack russell that ‘accidentally’ nudged its ball downhill and so of course had to chase it. Same principle!

MrOvershoot

I’m lucky to have all the shops I need for day to day living within a mile of home so use my “Shopping Bike” all the time.

Last Saturday was the local farmers market & I love pootling round all the stalls on my bike.
    I beat my record by coming home with 23kg of produce 😀

D0NK

Every time I got to the checkout I’d think “I’ve overdone it this time”

I used a big rucksack, I got the “whoops I’ve over done it” feeling when I leaned away from the bike to swing my leg over the saddle and nearly toppled over. A few near misses but didn’t actually fall.

loddrik
    Free Member

I use the brompton to go and get bits and bobs, no more than two carrier bags fill though.

BigDummy
    Free Member

“I’ve overdone it this time”

The Dummy is horrendous for that. I once happily loaded the thing up with 6 bags of gravel while it was stood on its centre-line stand. Then tried to move it. After an entertaining struggle, a man gave me a push so that I could get moving and get my balance, and I managed to ride all the way home without having to stop…

🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

I very rarely go food shopping in/on any mode of transport. It is something I really dislike doing….

Can’t get the “orange sticker” bargains online though 😉

lunge

I do, I bought a Kona MinUte a while ago off the back of a PSA on here and that does the job perfectly. The panniers on that combined with a 40 ltr rucksack and a couple of bungy cords and I’m sorted.

There’s a fair argument that that bike was a big driver in me selling my car, I get the train or cycle to work anyway so the car only ever got used on the weekends, with a cargo bike to use that weekend usage subsided as well and so I’m now car free.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I used a big rucksack

😯

Only recommended for those who hate their underparts/prefer a non-surgical vasectomy 😉

tbh the only downside I have with cargo-biking with panniers etc (as someone else mentioned) is the time spent packing/unpacking. Bakfiets for the win?

DezB
    Free Member

There was a “scheme” thing a few years ago, when I started this thread:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/shopping-by-bike
    ([edit]the wiggle blog link is dead)
    I still do it, up to the local Lidls, but not as often as I should, cos mostly it’s easier to stop off on the way home in the car. Should get myself back in the “using the bike” routine again now summer’s here.

hooli

Can’t get the “orange sticker” bargains online though

True, but you also don’t come home with a load of stuff you don’t need because it looked good/was on offer.

DezB
    Free Member

True, but you also don’t come home with a load of stuff you don’t need

You don’t on a bike either cos you can’t carry it all.

amedias
    Free Member

Yep, we do the weekly shop by bike with trailer, and then occasionally mid week top-ups when we need fresh veg/meat/fish on the way home from work.

*Lorry bike since replaced with new one.

Have pondered a longtail or longnose cargo bike but the versatility of the trailer suits us better at the moment, can use panniers (2 each) on normal bikes for commuting and most duties, and then hook up the trailer when needed, we can share towing if required and overall capacity is greater, manoeuvrability is great too!

I hate shopping with the car now, we only do it if we are having a big group of friends over for a BBQ or something and need to carry more, it’s quicker by bike for us too due to traffic and parking time 🙂

There’s a lot of cyclists in the city and don’t get many odd looks, but I do get some odd ‘you weirdo’ looks when I’m doing a dump run and hauling garden rubbish or big bike boxes to the recycling centre with it though 🙂

lunge

After a few days in Amsterdam I came to the conclusion I need a Bakfiets, they looks bloody awesome. They’re not cheap mind, they’re the best part of £2k if you want one.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Amedias – is that a B.O.B Yak trailer or a clone? Need to get one for the pooch but wondering how good the clones are…?

After a few days in Amsterdam I came to the conclusion I need a Bakfiets, they looks bloody awesome. They’re not cheap mind, they’re the best part of £2k if you want one.

Yeah that’s the only thing that stopped me. I bagged a used Batavus Personal Bike (3spd Nexus, dynohub/roller brakes, lighting, sturdy sidestand 2 integrated locks) which carries a shedload, cost me under 200 all-in with hill sprocket, panniers and a front rack added. That left cash for a lot for groceries, and no debt. It’s not perfect but as near as, and lots of fun as cruises loaded in a stable, relaxed fashion. I do find myself making excuses to use it, even after 3 years…so call that a lucky find 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

It’s a Yak, I had a clone to begin with to see if it worked for us, long story short, it did, but I bough a Yak in the end. Check out my previous threads and thoughts for more info!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bob-yak-style-trailer-or-cargo-bike

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-use-a-trailer-for-grocery-shopping-recommend-one

We also use ours to transport the ageing (11 years old) pooch now, she can only manage about 30-45mins now before her legs get stiff and painful so we tow her to the parks and fields now, have a scamper and then tow her home 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Mines a clone. Had to replace the QR as the original snapped, but it’s been fine for a good few years now.

amedias
    Free Member

The clones are pretty good for the money, and some are better than others, I gave ours away to some chap on here when we got the Yak so hopefully it’s still in use!

antigee

not committed enough to do main shop by bike but avoid using the car when I can cycle or walk – so I’ll midweek shop at lunchtime at nearest supermarket 4km or so away or do a longer ride to a market that is just off a shared path, try to do other errands by bike as well – today I picked up youngest antigee’s school uniform that had been left for alteration, a pleasant 20 mins each way, picked up some bread up as well
    no cargo bike or trailer – big wire basket and a square shaped rucsac works for what I do

i ride to the gym as well now that seems to be considered very odd

when the youngest antigee was at primary I recall being handed a party invite – party at some industrial estate kids play place and as invite handed over i was told they would “sort me out a lift” – i looked blank and then the parent said “but how will you get there?” – the assumption was because I walked kids to school didn’t have a car 🙄

amedias
    Free Member

the assumption was because I walked kids to school didn’t have a car

I get that a fair bit, not with walking kids to school, but just because I so rarely use the car unless it’s a longer out of town trip.

“oh, I thought you didn’t have a car?!”

Always makes me chuckle 🙂

stumpy01

I started a thread about this a while back, as I often take my bike & fairly small rucksack if I just need to get some essentials, but would also like to manage larger shops with the bike.

Seems stupid to take the car 1.5 miles although I do try to so the shopping on the way home from work, rather than making a dedicated short journey.

Here is my original thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-use-a-trailer-for-grocery-shopping-recommend-one

A surprising number of people came out of the wood work….
    I put a trailer on my birthday list, but didn’t get one and the money I had put aside thinking I would get a trailer with it ended up being spent on some SLX brakes to replace the Elixir’s on my Inbred that were driving me to despair.
    Hmmm, obviously need to re-visit the trailer idea & find some funds. I was looking at the DezB style trailers in the pic above….

woody74

All seems a lot of hassle just for food. Why not just get it delivered. Spend less time shopping and more time out cycling. Cant think of anything I would like to do less than go back to the weekly supermarket shop.

DezB
    Free Member

I was looking at the DezB style trailers in the pic above….

As on your previous thread – this one is now £30! I paid £90 and thought that was cheap.
    Just make sure you get the sturdy QR (probably standard now) – Can do pics later of the type you need.
    A Bob is 15X more expensive. Ok if you’re going on an expedition, but half a mile to the shops..!

All seems a lot of hassle just for food. Why not just get it delivered
    So you can place the order while out on your bike yeah?

stumpy01

£30! Blimey, I think it was around £60 a while back.

Do you find that one has enough space?
    I was considering the Skidii one that has a larger load area, or the Qeridoo one, but they are £60-80.

Looking at your photo, I guess you can get a couple of full carrier bags in there? Is that about right, or can you get more in?

DezB
    Free Member

Much more than a few carrier bags. I stuff the big red bag in the shopping trolley. Fill that up and you know it’ll fit back in, prob 4-5 carrier bags full.

I need to find one of those mini kit-stands. Great idea to stop it tipping when parked.

stumpy01

DezB – Member

Much more than a few carrier bags. I stuff the big red bag in the shopping trolley. Fill that up and you know it’ll fit back in, prob 4-5 carrier bags full.

Blimey! Probably gonna be big enough, then! 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Stuffed after a Tesco visit 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

living in that london village i barely use my car except for going to sainsbury once a fortnight. thinking about ditching it and doing home delivery for the main shop and popping down on my commuter or walking to do the top-up shops…
    having to carry home can help keep me to buying the essentials and buying fewer packs of biscuits too 🙂

thenorthwind

All seems a lot of hassle just for food. Why not just get it delivered. Spend less time shopping and more time out cycling. Cant think of anything I would like to do less than go back to the weekly supermarket shop.

I thought this because I hate doing the shopping, then I tried online shopping and realised the bits I don’t like, that take the longest, are writing the shopping list and putting the stuff away, both things you still have to do. Then it takes longer to find everything on the website. And you don’t get to choose things like fruit and veg. Or reduced stuff. Or stuff you didn’t think you wanted, but realised you do (which might be a bad thing for some people).

Also, I get to ride my bike more and look at a screen less.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Do you use your bike for grocery shopping?’ is closed to new replies.