Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Do you tailgate?
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

Let him pass and then jab his rear brake as he draws level.

Note: Please don’t actually do this on a public highway.

Caher

Here in Switzerland it is quite normal to tail gate – they call it the ‘wind-shadow’. The do it in cities and out on the trail, roads etc. Even the lazy lumps on the electric bikes do it.

I find it rude and dangerous as others have said especially when being followed at high speed by a big electric bike. I have had to break for kids and been narrowly avoided been mowed down by the following bike.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I draft quite a bit. Only on the road, and only people who look like they’re proper roadies and have overtaken me. I get drafted quite often too. I’d usually say something if I have the breath though, and assuming I’m not behind some ridiculously fast club type, I’d always take turns on the front. I wouldn’t draft as close as I would someone I know though. I figure if I overtake someone and they manage to hang onto my wheel, then fair enough, it’s not like it does me any harm.

It is really nice when you’re at the end of a hard week and some proper fast roadie gives you a tow for a few miles.

On the other hand, most of my riding is in the country on A roads – I have points on my rides where the next set of traffic lights / major junction is five or six miles away, which means you aren’t going to have to brake for a whole long time. I think it is maybe different in cities, because you have to stop and start a lot more. I used to find red light jumping idiots were a problem in cities, because if you had one of them behind you and you slowed down for the lights, they’d often be assuming you’d keep going, and have to skid to a halt behind you.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FuzzyWuzzy

It’s way more hazardous being the person following but if they’re a stranger then yeah I wouldn’t want them following me closely on a fast section (off-road). Uphill I wouldn’t care much though.

samuri
    Free Member

Yep. Absolutely no problem doing it or having it done to me. It’d only ever be experienced roadies anyway.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Waggle your elbow, pull out, drop in behind them. Sorted.

mudshark
    Free Member

Ha well there’s a chap in my roadie club who is becoming a bit of a liability as he has crashed into others a number of times recently. A couple of weeks ago we were climbing quite a steep hill when he crashed into the guy in front of him taking them both to the ground. There was a bit of a queue of traffic behind them who fortunately were keeping their distance. So make sure the guy on your wheel is competent.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I don’t. Really narks me off when other people do it too! I think its pretty clear from my baggy shorts/walking trousers and pannier that i’m not roadie thats used to this sort of thing. I think its a big assumption to make that people are happy with it, or know how to do it safely.

Sometimes i go biking to get away from people and lose myself in my thoughts, not to have some looney cycling behind me with his head 6″ from my @rse.

ChrisL

If you’re all roadies then go ahead, do what you want to do, but don’t do it to commuters. Personally I find it very uncomfortable to know there’s someone trailing me that closely. It doesn’t help that I’ve had a drafter ride into the back of me because he wanted to run an amber light that I decided to stop for.

brakes
    Free Member

If someone did it on a mountain bike, out on the trails, I would assume that they wanted to get past so I’d pull over.
    I don’t like it when roadies do it as I’m probably on a training ride or commuting to work, going at my own speed, and if you start hanging out the back of me, I’m going to change my pace because I want to drop you (unlikely), let you past, or aim for a pothole and bunnyhop it at the last minute. Ha!

Garry_Lager

Waggle your elbow, pull out, drop in behind them. Sorted.

Then get right up their ringpiece. Show them who’s the boss drafter.

rossi46
    Free Member

or aim for a pothole and bunnyhop it at the last minute. Ha!

An excellent idea! I will try this next opportunity i get 😈

emanuel
    Free Member

I remember being 18 and having just got a road bike I’d be out for 8-9hours.the wind would change half way,so I’d get a headwind both ways.
    coming back home was miserable.I’d draft old ladies on shopping bikes,old old roadies,anything.
    no problem with strangers drafting.it’s nice when we get a bit of a train going,pick up other lone riders.it’s nice to drop.it’s nice to get dropped.both happen.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Do you tailgate?’ is closed to new replies.