Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Do you tailgate?
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

I was out riding yesterday and some guy was riding 2 inches from my rear wheel. He seemed to think it was ok as we were going up hill and that if he touched my wheel he would be the only one to fall off.

I personally don’t like it.

Do you do it? Why do you do it?

iDave
    Free Member

tailgate = car driver
    draught = bike rider

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Tailgating should solely be used for saving fuel on the motorway.

On a bike you should be getting past that rider.

atlaz
    Free Member

So he was wheel sucking up a hill? Either drop him, let him drop you or accept it.

Edit – or if he’s a mate, have him take a turn on the front 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Won’t do it nor will I allow others to do it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Isn’t it part and parcel of being a cyclist? Not really a problem unless you’re an erratic, dangerous and out of control rider. 😛

IanMunro
    Free Member

I personally don’t like it.

Then ride faster 🙂
    Personally I don’t give a monkeys if someone’s right on my back wheel, though I’m fairly used to wheels rubbing when riding with people I know, so don’t find it that disconcerting.
    However I tend to keep a respectful distance with people I don’t know who don’t look competent though.

geetee1972
    Free Member

He was probably bonding with you Scholar. It’s a complement that he wants to suck your wheel 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Tailgating should solely be used for saving fuel on the motorway.

Or stopping people from squeezing into the gap.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

tj how do you “not allow it”?

mogrim

Heading up hill or on the flat – drafting (draughting?) and perfectly acceptable, although depending on fitness etc. you should of course take your turn on the front.

Going downhill – dangerous.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cruz slow down / swear at them / stop /ride them into a tree – whatever is appropriate. Only had it happen commuting tho never at a trail centre.

I will not allow anyone to follow close to me bike, motorbike or car. Its my safety

rossi46
    Free Member

I only ever tailgate when im playing the old ‘getting the mud off my front tyre using your rear tyre’ game with friends.
    Then they seem to gang up on me to do the same before it all gets out of hand with bikes/ bodies strewn everywhere 😆

Tailgating in cars is a crime and the offenders should be shot…..

rossi46
    Free Member

Heading up hill or on the flat – drafting (draughting?) and perfectly acceptable

And that. Thats perfectly fine 😆

bigyinn
    Free Member

rossi46 – Member

I only ever tailgate when im playing the old ‘getting the mud off my front tyre using your rear tyre’ game with friends.
    Then they seem go gang up on me to do the same before it all gets out of hand with bikes/ bodies strewn everywhere
    This +1!!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

simple answer is to ride faster if it pisses you off, maybe they are not tailgating, maybe you are riding to slow and dangerously so they cannot get past?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No – plenty of room for them to get passed – anyway thats no excuse for riding on your wheel.

donsimon
    Free Member

cruz slow down / swear at them / stop /ride them into a tree – whatever is appropriate. Only had it happen commuting tho never at a trail centre.

And you’re happy to injure another human being? Day by day it gets more difficult to take you seriously…

yunki
    Free Member

draughting = **** roadie behaviour..

edit: so folk nudging your rear wheel is fine but nudging them into a tree in return is worthy of ridicule..?

it gets harder to take you seriously every day DS.. 😀

rob-jackson
    Free Member

tj – if you have anoob riding downhill infront of you wobbling and weaving all over the show then wtf are you menat to do, same up hill. I REALLY want you to come down and ride with us in teh Peak to test your ability (and brake pads) just to see also if you are really a **** or just a WUM

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Whats that wooshing noise Don – the point flying over your head as usual?
    🙄

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

And you’re happy to injure another human being?

Watch out TeeJ – it’s a trap.

IanMunro
    Free Member

If he wore a helmet he probably wouldn’t be so anxious at the possibility of a crash.

donsimon
    Free Member

Whats that wooshing noise Don – the point flying over your head as usual?

Go on TJ, which bit of ride them into a tree went over my head?

it gets harder to take you seriously every day DS..

I wouldn’t waste your time trying, it’s a pretty thankless task. 😛

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cruz – hang on – I was talking about if folk did it to me – I aint a newb tho I ain’t that fast. I always ride politely and allow faster folk to overtake

If its a newb then stop or ride a decent distance behind them if you cannot overtake safely

Riding close to someone you don’t know is at best impolite and at worst dangerous.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cruz – I’ll give you a shout next time I am down that way 🙂

mintimperial

Just shout “Squirrel!” and then slam your brakes on full. They’ll give you plenty of space after that.

Personally doesn’t bother me at all on the bike, so long as they take a turn in front if it’s windy. Rarely do it myself, only if it’s windy and I know the rider is ok with it. People who tailgate in cars, under any circumstances whatsoever, should be shot in front of their families.

atlaz
    Free Member

But intentionally trying to have them injure themselves seems a little harsh, no?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Yesterday I wasn’t able to ride faster as there was someone in front of me. All he really needed to do was say ‘on yer right’ and come past when he was able to and not tailgate/draught/wheel suck/be an idiot.

I’m inclined to agree with TJ, I also think it’s bad manners.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Did you wave him through at all?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Perhaps he thought you had rearward facing GoPro and wanted to get into the edit ?

mintimperial

But intentionally trying to have them injure themselves seems a little harsh, no?

Er yes, I was kidding. I don’t think anyone is seriously advocating that sort of thing are they?

I’m deadly serious about tailgating car drivers though.

mogrim

draughting = **** roadie behaviour..

Or an intelligent way of minimising energy use while climbing or riding on the flat. Assuming we talking about fireroad type climbs, or road sections of course – if there’s any real risk of the person in front falling off you’d be an idiot to draught.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

some people are waaay uptight on their rides

joao3v16
    Free Member

an intelligent way of minimising energy use while climbing or riding on the flat

Why type all that when “lazy” would suffice?

😉

tonyg2003

Just give them the flick to come through.

It’s always a bit odd to have someone you don’t know (and know their level of riding skill) sit on. If you are hassled by it just slow down and let them come through.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cruz – the point is I do not want someone compromising my safety therefore I will not accept someone riding on my wheel.

mogrim

Why type all that when “lazy” would suffice?

🙂

Not quite the same though is it? If there’re 3 of you, and you take turns you can save a fair amount of energy. And if one of you has bonked, it’s a pretty good way of helping him/her home.

Not to mention it’s fun on a road bike.

mogrim

Cruz – the point is I do not want someone compromising my safety therefore I will not accept someone riding on my wheel.

If you don’t know them it could be compromising your safety, but on a road bike ride with mates / in a club, it’s not really dangerous…

BoardinBob

Wouldn’t do it to, nor expect it from, a total stranger, but if I’m riding with friends we’ll ride close together on a climb. If I’m behind I like pacing myself with a similar rider in front and if I’m in front it gives me a little challenge to see if they can keep on my tail.

Would never do it on a descent though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Do you tailgate?’ is closed to new replies.