Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Do you look after your grass verge?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Most of my neighbours keep theirs fairly trim but they are retired and always looking for something to do. I leave mine for the council to cut when they come around as do most in my street but it looks OK really. However there are some with verges that are in a right state – patchy at best. Do you care about how you and your neighbours look after the verges or does it not bother you at all?

Cougar

Most of your neighbours keep theirs trim, yet most of your neighbours don’t and wait for the council?

chvck
    Free Member

What grass verges?

Solo
    Free Member

psling
    Free Member

chvck – Member
    What grass verges?

I think it’s something they have in suburbia.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I keep mine tidy and one of my biggest bugbears are people who park all over them when they are wet turning them into muddy rutty messes.

I’ve had words with one of or neighbours over it and they now use their drive to park their cars… Who’d have thought of such a crazy concept.

Stoner
    Free Member

The cows do it.

IHN

I keep mine tidy and one of my biggest bugbears are people who park all over them

People who park on pavements are on my “up against the wall come the revolution” list.

emsz
    Free Member

Alan Carr

It’s important to keep things trim and tidy, never know who’s coming to visit.

/Alan Carr

piemonster

Verge, we have to pay for a private road. Stupid bloody cobbled mini roundabout, don’t even use the damned thing.

theotherjonv

Most of your neighbours keep theirs trim, yet most of your neighbours don’t and wait for the council?

Most of my neighbours keep theirs fairly trim

I leave mine for the council to cut when they come around as do most in my street

Maybe the OP lives in a long street, where most people can’t be arsed, but the people immediately around him can, thus making him look lazy, despite being actually no different than the majority of the street

(yes, i am in a VERY boring teleconference at work)

trail_rat
    Free Member

i do mine along the edge of my garden

only because its teh ditch and if i dont keep it clear its prone to backing up and flooding my garden.

matt_outandabout

mudshark
    Free Member

Maybe the OP lives in a long street, where most people can’t be arsed, but the people immediately around him can, thus making him look lazy, despite being actually no different than the majority of the street

Yep it was pretty clear really wasn’t it?! Funnyish thing is my verge is partly outside one of my neighbours and he cuts his part every week leaving the rest looking more and more rough until the council man comes. We’re very friendly so surprised he doesn’t do the lot – I explained to him it’s a pain for me as I would have to take my (heavy petrol) mower up and down a foot high wall as my lawn’s at a higher level than the drive.

maccruiskeen

Did you take that photo in a phone box in Kings Cross Matt?

marki3boy
    Free Member

Is this thread about pubic hair?

binners

matt_outandabout

Did you take that photo in a phone box in Kings Cross Matt?

Ballachulish in the highlands…It is an innocent place still.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

All the verges on my street look OK. A lot of people have got rid of them and have entirely block paved their driveways.

Ours just get’s a mow when it needs it, but we have some more grass out of the front of our house that needs doing so it just gets done at the same time. My car gets parked very close up to the grass so don’t think the council mowers would manage. Not that I’ve ever seen a council mower.

A few of the neighbours seem to do each others for them…

fasthaggis

Mudshark

Thick verges are good if someone in your club can’t ride very well 😉

matt_outandabout

A few of the neighbours seem to do each others for them…

😯

psling
    Free Member

marki3boy – Member

Only if yours are grass (according to the thread title).

binners

aracer
    Free Member

We’re the chavs in our road. Front grass is fairly neat and cut short, but has a kids football goal on it (with a kids toy box and a couple of kayaks just behind).

The cows do it.

Interesting thought. Might be able to entice the sheep in the field behind to come and sort out the back garden, but I suspect the front would get a bit awkward.

mudshark
    Free Member

Once I’d started that possibly crossed my mind….

Thick verges are good if someone in your club can’t ride very well

Hmmm, maybe a muddy mess would be even better?

All the verges on my street look OK. A lot of people have got rid of them and have entirely block paved their driveways.

Must be a different sort of verge is most are owned by the council surely? Those people that live on corners might have a garden that goes along one road whilst their house fronts onto a different one. There could be a lot of verge to look after if they choose to do so. There is one like this near me and also there’s a grassy slope going up to their garden wall and they look after that though presumably the council own it as it’s not on inside their wall.

project
    Free Member

If there is yellow lines or waiting restrictions on the road parallel to the verge, then you are not allowed to park on it unless you park in your own garden, or driveway.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I prune back the trees and strim our verge, it’s a rewarding job. What really annoys me is we rent out some land and the farmer thinks it’s ok to use the drive as a shortcut, his tractors are much wider than the car tyre tracks and it makes a mess when it is wet. Must have words with him.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Do you look after your grass verge?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM