Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Do you have any HMV vouchers? You might want to spend them ASAP
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Can’t see them lasting too much longer…

http://news.sky.com/story/1036367/hmv-sale-price-cuts-ahead-of-bank-deadline

To be honest, I’m surprised they’ve not already gone the way of Comet

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Or the way of Jessops

I hope they don’t go, but it’s looked grim for them for a while now. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

Drac

You didn’t warn us.

hora
    Free Member

I hope not. They will close Fopps too. No 🙁

Drac

What’s Fopps?

hora
    Free Member

A brilliant little Entertainment store chain taken over by hmv

p7rich
    Free Member

Not in the least bit surprised. I buy shedloads of music but rarely anything from HMV, despite visiting regularly. Generally too expensive and very narrow range.

Drac

I was in HMV today, yeah as crap as I remember it and expensive agreed.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Oh FFS, we gave our childminder a Jessops voucher for Christmas, and I got HMV ones in my stocking!

RichPenny
    Free Member

If you’ve broad musical taste then they’re OK on price, you just need to be prepared to buy music 6 months after it’s been released. 4 albums for £18 last week 🙂 All 2012 releases too…

Dark-Side

I hope not. They will close Fopps too. No

It’s just Fopp.

CountZero

I doubt if the Fopp shops would close. The ironing is that Fopp overstretched themselves and got bought out by HMV, and then proceeded to actually make money, compared to HMV, who don’t seem to have the foggiest idea about selling music. HMV’s prices are ludicrous, it’s little wonder Amazon hits them hard. I go into the Bath store, and frequently see cd’s I’d like, but they’re £15-16, while a quick scan with Redlaser shows the same disc available elsewhere for half that.
    Even HMV’s online prices suck, I’m just looking at the results for the David Byrne/St Vincent album I scanned in Bath, the shop price I can’t remember, but I think was well over £12, HMV online is £10, Amazon is £7.07, but base.com is £13.29!

PrinceJohn

Be a shame it’s the nearest thing to a record shop round our way. The only other options are super markets selling the latest x factor Weiner.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member
    Oh FFS, we gave our childminder a Jessops voucher for Christmas.

#

I can think of better presents!

hora
    Free Member

Countzero theyd go straight down like Jessops odd star stores did. Like a collective on a bad balance sheet.

Jamie
    Free Member

I can think of better presents!

Bag of hindsight?

thegreatape
    Free Member

So can I, but from someone for knows f all about cameras, to someone who’s right into them, it seemed like a good idea. And she got flars and wine as well.

footflaps

HMV’s sales figures were dreadful over Xmas run up / New Year, significantly down on last year, so they’re drinking in the last chance saloon.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I never understood why they didnt have terminals where an mp3 player could be plugged in and an album purchased and downloaded…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

coolhandluke – Member
    I never understood why they didnt have terminals where an mp3 player could be plugged in and an album purchased and downloaded…
    POSTED 13 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

It was popular in Japan for a while and trialed in some London stores around 2002 but the British public were slightly sceptical and the MP3 players not yet standardised so a variety of connections was needed. Before any long term money was invested in europe it was thought MP3 players would eventually connect to mobile networks and downloads could be made this way. Sony (who own lots if music wrights) were keen to push their Walkman phones and it never really took off. iTunes was the final nail in the coffin.

I had my own record shop and worked at HMV too for a while. What people want in a record shop is a broad range of CDs at good prices. However CDs are graded on popularity something like an xfactor release would be grade 1 then slip down grades with age. Dark side of the moon for example would be a grade 5/6 slow selling but always popular. Having grade 12 to 20 cd’s isn’t viable as the rate they sell is too slow. HMV is expensive online but it does have those shops to prop up. I can’t see it lasting viably in its current trading model. Keep a few key locations for high grade CD’s and move online while the brand has value.

slowmart
    Free Member

the music industry is desperate for HMV to be successful and has been a pillar of support without which the company would have gone into administration.

BTW HMV’s chief exec joined last year from guess where? Jessops.

The key will be the suppliers and banks outlook. it’s the last high street retailer for music and film and that carries a hell of a lot of weight behind it, at least for the music and film industries.

Is the company dead, no but it is on life support and it could be argued that it’s the modern day equivilant of King Canute standing on the beech commanding thenseanto turn back.

kimbers

the last few times ive checked them out online theyve been pretty competitively priced

Bez

but from someone for knows f all about cameras, to someone who’s right into them, it seemed like a good idea

I probably shouldn’t say it, but it’s equivalent to buying Halfords vouchers for someone who’s into bikes.

jon1973
    Free Member

I’m surprised people give vouchers at all given the present climate on the high street.

ericemel
    Free Member

Jessops and now HMV guess that means 2 more restaurants on my high street that I can afford to go to with the money I’ve saved shopping online.

simmy
    Free Member

Sky News have just Tweeted to say the Administers have been called into HMV

steveoath
    Free Member

Glad I spent my vouchers today 🙂

stumpyjon

FT

Who’s next?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Debenhams. Far too many sales/offers all the time

headfirst
    Free Member

Argos I reckon. Pure speculation.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Who’s next?

How much is that going for now? Don’t have much of their stuff.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I can’t see it being debenhams-my wife likes to shop there and it is always rammee whenever we go. Argos maybe. Or ones of those naff shoe shops that always seem to open on a new retail park. Is it Brantanos?

druidh
    Free Member

I’m struggling to think of any other companies that always have some sort of “sale” on, either through issuing discount codes to everyone or just advertising it on their website.

I’m sure that if I think long and hard enough about it whilst browsing this site, something will pop up.

footflaps

Most of the obvious candidates have gone now.

Possibly a kitchen retailer or furniture company next as house sales are still suppressed.

EDIT: Thinking about it I never worked out how WHSmith and The Edinburgh Woolen Mill stayed in business even pre-recession.

postierich
    Free Member

Please let it be the Edinburgh Wollen Mill to go next!

LMT
    Free Member

Wonder what we happen to the Hmv venues, we have the institute in brum that was rebranded Hmv and I’m sure the academy is as well?? The old dome night club is an O2 venue now. Lots for them to sort out!

druidh
    Free Member

The EWM serves it’s own “niche” customer base – mostly the well-off elderly. I reckon they are safe for a while – especially as the pensions are going up.

convert

With 4000 odd HMV staff kicking their heels soon the world of online Dungeons and Dragons will never have been so busy!

footflaps

HMV venues was sold off a few months back to raise cash.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/dec/03/hmv-live-music-assets

aracer
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Debenhams. Far too many sales/offers all the time

Well given the accuracy of your previous tip, cheesyfeet, I’m off to short sell Debenhams. What’s next after them?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Do you have any HMV vouchers? You might want to spend them ASAP’ is closed to new replies.