Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Do you fold your wing mirrors in…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…either by hand or automated ?

Surprising amount of people that don’t and then probably moan that their mirrors get hit.

I’m a yes at all times

Over to you…

andyl
    Free Member

Car does it automatically. It’s a wide car and I have seen the price of the driver side auto dimming mirror glass (£300) so I am not stopping it from doing so!

I also fold them in manually at certain points on my drive home after having idiots clip them coming onto my side of the road round bends too fast or not giving way when I already in a narrow bit

OH doesnt bother with the freelander. Old car, none-painted mirrors that you can pick up cheap on ebay and one already with cracked glass and a dodgy motor (from being hit) so she would prefer someone clipped the mirror than went down the side of the car. And it is a manual operated electric fold so she would forget anyway.

convert

The mirrors on my next car will fold in automatically and also do that thing where they point to the kerb when reversing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Auto fold.

andyl
    Free Member

The mirros on my next car will fold in automatically and also do that thing where they point to the kerb when reversing.

my E class does that. Just one of the little things that car does that I love.

But you do have to have the mirror on that side selected on the adjuster for it to do it. Remembers the position for each seat memory setting too.

Another little thing is the steering wheel raising up when you take the key out to let you get out easier.

theworm
    Free Member

I always fold mine in, there are to many people out there who don’t respect other people’s cars especially when parking

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Never thought i would, but current (lease) car has electric, heated, auto-dimming, puddle light, indicating mirrors whic i imagine would cost the same as my entire previous car to replace. for the sake of a “long plip”, yep i fold them in when parked!

Typing this has made me think 2 things – superficially – its annoying that the puddle lights dont come on when theyre folded. Secondly – whose idea was it to put some much tech and potential expense into the most sticky outy and vulnerable part of the car?

pondo

Company motor does it itself so yes.

Previously, when it had to be done manual like, no.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I’m no fan of unnecessary complication in a car or of a car that’s too big. But mine does have electrically folding mirrors which are very handy for the narrow lanes round here because of the cars’ excessive size, oh bugger..

mightymule
    Free Member

Yes, because I don’t trust other people not to bloody hit them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Never had one hit (saying that I’ll get them all smashed off now )

Very rarely fold the ones on the big van in.

The new partner auto folds. Can take it or leave it

Junkyard
    Free Member

in all my years of driving i have lost one wing mirror not clipped in and that was in the last few months to act of vandalism – a kick judging by the mud

Some tape sorted it as its so old it has linkage to the inside to adjust it so it broke the plastic not the entire thing

IF i could automatically probably manually not a **** chance

mightymule
    Free Member

Having had one clipped by a dumper truck recently, I can assure you that replacing glass in a heated mirror involves much swearing. And elastoplasts.

dovebiker

I clipped mine once and found it wouldn’t power-fold, the motor kept turning. Dealer wanted £200 to replace and no spares available for just the motor unit. Took it apart to find a small plastic pinion gear that was glued to the motor spindle was turning – reglued and sorted.

bongle

Some bell ends round here in Stockport are kicking them off (whole streets done on Christmas eve). So yes we’ve started folding them in sadly

alric
    Free Member

just to say, as a delivery driver, it is appreciated, when things get tight.the rest of my customers dont want me to be late cosI had to spend a half hour finding a mirror owner and sorting insurance.

winrya
    Free Member

Both mine and the wife’s car autofold but I rarely folded them in in the past. My wife likes them because she knows if they’re folded the cars are locked

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Waiting for Deadlydarcy to reply*

houndlegs
    Free Member

I always fold mine in. And I’m also surprised at the amount of people I see driving with them folded in. Don’t they use their mirrors 😕

slackalice
    Free Member

lazlowoodbine – Member
    I’m no fan of unnecessary complication in a car or of a car that’s too big. But mine does have electrically folding mirrors which are very handy for the narrow lanes round here because of the cars’ excessive size, oh bugger..

😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

I like to see video footage of them kicking off the wing mirrors on the van…. I reckon it would break legs if they could get that High

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nah, mine are motored but it makes it hard to get out on busy roads safely and without dooring cyclists.

Mate of mine used to turn his wheel out to dissuade people from getting too close to his car… new rack and wheel turned out to be far more than expensive than a new mirror.

scotroutes

Nope.

Mind you I’ve only been driving for 40 years. Maybe my turn will come.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’ve got a thing about not parking on the pavement. So on my street my car ‘sticks out’ and my mirror’s been smashed off three times. So yes, I fold them back. Or park facing the flow of traffic so if it does get hit they just fold in.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nah, mine are motored but it makes it hard to get out on busy roads safely and without dooring cyclists

Mine fold in when you press the key lock button after you got out. Handy.

NZCol

I have a ‘friend’ with a McLaren F1, his wing mirror was ****ted off by one of his drivers (he owns a biscuit company!). From memory, and with some rounding it was $18,000 to replace (this was in NZ)

I fold mine in !

nealglover
    Free Member

I have a ‘friend’ with a McLaren F1, his wing mirror was twatted off by one of his drivers (he owns a biscuit company!). From memory, and with some rounding it was $18,000 to replace (this was in NZ)

I hate to be a car geek party pooper, but the Maclaren F1 used wing mirrors from a VW Corrado,
    So that story seems a little unlikely 😆

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Caher

The car, no as it’s quite old. The MTB yes definitely, those trees take no prisoners.

stavromuller
    Free Member

I fold mine in when in car parks but I’ve had the car eight years before I found out that it had heated mirrors (saw them steaming one morning as I was scrapping the ice off the windscreen).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I never have and probably never will. But then we hardly use the car and it sits on the drive all week. When we do go somewhere we generally park in a car park not at the side of the road so it wouldn’t be any use anyway.

DezB
    Free Member

Nah, borrowed a Toyota last week that had auto ones, but I rarely park anywhere it’s worth bothering so just haven’t got into the habit. Only ever lost one when me and a BMW past each other on a narrow road just that bit too close. Broken indicator on a door mirror is bizarrely an MOT failure. Otherwise it’d still be busted.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I hate to be a car geek party pooper, but the Maclaren F1 used wing mirrors from a VW Corrado,
    So that story seems a little unlikely

I thought it was just TVR who used Corrado mirrors.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I thought it was just TVR who used Corrado mirrors.

Citroën CX.

Also seen on the XJ220.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have push button fold on the Mondeo and auto on the euroturd. Only mirror properly **** was on pavement side, make of that what you will. Mondeo got the trim cover knocked off by a school run ****.

Not my responsibility to pander to **** if you are driving close enough to clip my mirror, by my parking you are going to hit the next cars bumper.

Yak

Sometimes if it’s a tight road or they are overhanging a narrow pavement. It’s a wide vehicle, so no point making it worse in the above situations.

NZCol

I’m sure it probably did use Corrado mirrors, I think it was all the hooha around getting it replaced as every time something happened it had to be shipped somewhere and somebody sent to fix it. The mirror was probably a 100 bucks !

hodgynd
    Free Member

Manual motor on one ..completely manual on the other and very rarely do I bother …the exception being car parks with extremely tight spaces and really tight country roads where other larger vehicles are having to inch past.
    I’ve had 3 drivers side mirror replacements on narrow roads where other vehicles have been on my side and haven’t stopped …
    Also one on Haugh Lane in Hexham where a little old dear was so far over on my side due to cars parked on her side ( she should have waited ) that she knocked the shell off my drivers side….I saw it sitting in the middle of the road and when I turned at the mini r/bout to go back and retrieve it not thinking it would really be in one piece ..it was ..and snapped easily back into place ..which brought my blood pressure back to normal at the same time ..

joshvegas
    Free Member

My carlives on apretty busy main road on a bustop where the road narrow by cars parked on either side.

The narrowed road is precisely the right size for two normal cars to just squeeze past.

Never lost a mirror. Infact i only lost a fairing when a flapping lorry tie ****ted it off on the motorway to the sound of a rifle shot and me shitting myself.

mickmcd
    Free Member

I will have to ask the cheauffeur

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Do you fold your wing mirrors in…’ is closed to new replies.