Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Do they really work!!! Average speed cameras in contraflow
  • greenboy
    Free Member

Why does it seem that I'm the only one doing the correct speed in contraflow (during roadworks on the M1). Everyone else seems to either ignore the speed restriction or not notice. Do the the average speed cameras really work?

Stoner
    Free Member

we did this one a few weeks ago.

but I'll let you off while the search function is borked 🙂
    pffft. not that borked
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/average-speed-cameras

coffeeking
    Free Member

Plenty of people get caught, but I think they often set the triggers fairly high so people push it and push it on successive days, and only slow down again when they get caught.

Always makes me laugh, In my younger days I've been known to cruise through speed cameras at an indicated speed above the limit and "play chicken" with the camera for the sake of 1-2mph, even so far as watchign it to see if it flashes, almost willing it not to. One day I stopped and thought "there's absolutely no point in doing this" and now tend to stick to the limit on my needle instead of pushing it up to the edge of my guestimated % error 😀

Pook

M1 ones don't work.

mike_p
    Free Member

I've never been caught (yet… last two weeks not included!) and I think I push my luck, so the threshold must be set pretty high

lookmanohands
    Free Member

threashold is about 57mph ish….i wouldnt try it though 😯

uplink
    Free Member

For the 50mph ones on the M1 I set the cruise to an indicated 60 on the speedo
    My Roadangel & satnav has it at 52

oldgit
    Free Member

A mum at our lads football club got done, but she genuinely thought she only needed to slow down for the cameras.
    I always just sit there at the advised speed. I used to wonder if the drivers tanking past me knew something I didn't, but based on Mrs X train of thought I now assume they're just dim.

krag
    Free Member

Got caught last week on the M4, 58 in a 50. Couldn't have been paying attention as I do the commute 3 times a week up the M5/M4 and try to stick to 50 or just over.

With my 93 in a 70 the week before these points are totting up!

Cruise control is getting fitted this weekend, hopefully that'll help!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Speeding is not going to save you that much time here so I don't bother.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I've wondered this as I pass through average speed 50mph cameras on the M62 every day.

I set my cruise at an indicated 53 ish mph, which is about 50 on my sat nav, and you can see that is slightly faster than some, however I will still get passed by large volumes of cars going a good 5-10mph quicker than me…

lakesrider
    Free Member

how do the cameras work at night?

I assume they have some sort of IR illuminator or flash, but wont the headlights be so bright as to stop the numberplate being seen? As you can tell i have no idea how they work lol

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

"Speeding is not going to save you that much time here so I don't bother. "

I disagree. Going through the M62 road works at night when no one is working, and there is little traffic, if you can do 70mph your going to get to there much quicker !

ajf
    Free Member

I've wondered this as I pass through average speed 50mph cameras on the M62 every day.

I set my cruise at an indicated 53 ish mph, which is about 50 on my sat nav, and you can see that is slightly faster than some, however I will still get passed by large volumes of cars going a good 5-10mph quicker than me…

I will wave next time as I speed past at 60.

I bl00dy wish, I just see the average speed cameras on the M62 as an ideal wish list speed. Averaged 30 mph last night.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

drove my mate to East Mids airport once. she was hideously late. Averaged over 70mph on the proviso that she took the hit.

nothing through after 10 months!

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Yep, ours do on the A1 between Leeming & Dishforth. 50mph average for 13 miles, ouch!! 👿

br
    Free Member

I set my cruise at 55mph, which is a GPS-ed 54mph.

They are average speed cameras – the clue is in their title…

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Yes they really do work, in the dark and whatever lane you enter / leave in. And yes they "really do work" – compliance is high / violation low. As I mentioned in the earlier thread, numbers are not issued for 'tactical' reasons but I've seen the numbers for the current M4 J18-19 road works and it's in the hundreds per week – not bad considering the average flow is about 60,000 vehicles a day.

Next question will presumably be what's the threshold?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I assume they have some sort of IR illuminator or flash, but wont the headlights be so bright as to stop the numberplate being seen? As you can tell i have no idea how they work lol

The two pods either side of the camera are giant IR illuminators, the camera electronics deal with exposure and obviously headlights emit less IR-level radiation than the illuminators provide so the plates are not hidden by them. You may find they are primarily IR-based, even in the day, and contain a filter to knock out most of the visible spectrum so they don't get "blinded".

Analogue Andy – they used to put the numbers up on boards at the side of the road on the M6 (a year or so ago) "X prosecutions last month" or words to that effect, numbers were usually in the low hundreds IIRC.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

😈

retro83
    Free Member

My number plate is so dirty the cameras have no chance

molgrips
    Free Member

People are flat out ignoring the 50mph speed limit on the M4 round Newport these days. Pisses me right off 🙁

FuzzyWuzzy

The 50mph from Newport to Cardiff is a complete joke, they've made a 3-lane motorway with no roadworks for long stretches into a permanent 50mph zone. Screw that (nothing through the post yet and I average around 57mph through them).

coffeeking
    Free Member

and I average around 57mph through them).

Wow, pushing the boat out there – wait for your license to be burned in front of your face….oh no, hang on, thats bearly outside the limit… 😀

krag
    Free Member

As above, I got stung on the M4 J17/J18 average cameras last week doing 58 so be careful. That stretch through Cardiff to Newport is the worst though, I heard it some something to do with the safery barriers not being up to scratch for 70mph speeds or something?

Nick

Yep, ours do on the A1 between Leeming & Dishforth. 50mph average for 13 miles, ouch!!

Costs you about 4.5 minutes (the extra time it will take you to travel 13 miles because of this), not really a big deal is it, psycologically it feels terribly slow but it's not really.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I just lower the cruise to 50 and carry on relaxing when traveling through them. I would like to see more of them on 30mph roads as on some of them in soton people do closer to 60 and jam on the brakes for the fixed ones which is just as bad as the speeding in the first place.

molgrips
    Free Member

The 50mph from Newport to Cardiff is a complete joke

Well there were loads of accidents there, cos of all the manic lane changes all the time with those junctions where it goes to two lanes – which at 70mph could get hairy. And some of the junctions where it doesn't go to two lanes are horrifying to pull out of. I imagine it'll save a fair few lives to be honest.

They are in the process of installing variable speed limits which is what I said they should've had all along.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Do they really work!!! Average speed cameras in contraflow’ is closed to new replies.