Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • do roofbars damage your car (long term)
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

i've had mine on about 18 months. They clamp down the side of the roof where the door closes as theres no gutter or mounts on the roof. I've noticed the rubber trim on the doors is distorted a bit, but just wondered if they are on long long term eg 3 or 4 years does this get any worse, or anyone ever had the trim split?

Just wondering as i'm looking to change my car and if they can cause damage long term i might look at one with roof rails

coffeeking
    Free Member

You'll probably be left with slightly distorted rubber that'll take a while to return to shape. And may have paint worn through where grit gets under with vibration. But other than that I can't see much of an issue.

DickBarton

They do return to normal but take a bit of time…I've got a similar situation…problem I've found is if the roof isn't spotless then when you clamp the mounts down and remove them, they leave a few marks…

pitduck
    Free Member

yes they do

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I guess you guys must use them continuously for work otherwise you'd be mad to leave them on permanently as they increase fuel consumption by about 10%

snaps
    Free Member

Which car?

DickBarton

I have only noticed a 0.5mpg drop in my average fuel use, so I've no issues leaving them on…

Rich
    Free Member

Mine actually dented the roof of my Corolla Verso, they are an expensive make too, Atera I think it is.

Its not as if I clamped them down.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ours have been on 7 months and the computer still shows we are doing exactly the same average consumption.

5lab

the 10% figure is for a roof rack, with some crap on it

I only loose ~15% tying 8 surfboards (total hight approx 2', full width of the car, overhang front and rear) to mine, so I doubt very much you'd get 10% with 2 small bars.

DickBarton

I'd agree with the scratches under the footpacks if left on for ages…I've noticed a couple of scuffs…I've got some touch up paint so I'm going to fix those and then probably stick some helicopter tape over where the feet sit to help prevent that again.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

BTW – Our identical consumption is for the bars AND the box (160l jobbie) on permanently to lug baby things around.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I know Seat had to replace some Ibiza models a few years ago after their own brand roof racks left creases in the roofs of some cars.

gonefishin
    Free Member

BTW – Our identical consumption is for the bars AND the box (160l jobbie) on permanently to lug baby things around.

Well either your car's computer is wrong, your car had rubbish aerodynamics to begin with, or your driving style has changed to be a bit more smooth as if all other things are equal that simply should not be possible. To be honest I'd suspect the latter as your driving will almost certainly have changed as a result of having kids.

Driving style makes a huge difference. A few months ago I had a long drive with bikes on the roof which normally seriously compromises the fuel economy. The route I ended up taking was pretty heavy but flowing traffic which reduced my speed to 50-60mph. My mpg was much higher as a result.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘do roofbars damage your car (long term)’ is closed to new replies.