Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Do me a favour , please .
  • singletrackmind

If you get a spare 5 mins . If you are male and 5ft 11 , give or take 1/2″
    Can you possibly measure your seat clamp to bar distance . So the distance from where your seat clamps on to the seat post , middle ish . Measured to the front of the stem in the middle on the bar clamp.

Trying to work out if i feel perched becuase all my bikes are slightly too small for me.

Road bike 66cm, quil stem 80ish on a straight seat post

Short travel xc 67cm with a 90stem and offset seatpost

long travel xc 67.5cm with 100 stem and layback seatpost

I know most people are different sizes , and some correction can be made with seat posts and stems, but the stems effect handling and i dont want to go to a 120 stem as it pushes weight forward and makes a big difference with the steering.

I dont know if ‘large frames ‘ 70 stems and straight posts would make me feel less tottery ( new word)

many thanks

Onzadog
    Free Member

5’10” with a long body.

Road, 56 cm 90mm stem offset post
    HT, 59 cm 70mm stem offset post
    FS, 59 cm 70mm stem, inline post

Sorry, just reread your post. I measured from the middle of the saddle clamp to the stem cap centre so you’ll need to add my stem lengths on to those numbers.

richen987
    Free Member

5ft 10.5

19in hardtail – 100mm stem straight up post – 68.5cm
    18in full sus – 100mm stem, laybak post 68.5cm

i thought they would be different but bizarely they are not.both feel right and not perched at all

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure how that measurement helps but:

Mine is 65cm on an 18″ Inbred with a 70mm stem and a 15mm setback post (but the saddle is pretty far forward). I’m 5’11” and a 1/2, with long arms and legs.

The angles will probably play a big difference in how the weight is distributed across that length.

Onzadog
    Free Member

warpcow has a point. Wouldn’t the horizontal distance from saddle tip to bar centre and the drop from that line to the stem be more useful?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

5’9 3/4″
    two hardtails –
    commuter 66.5 cm 80mm stem, slight layback seatpost
    xc bike 65 cm 80 mm stem inline seatpost

lipseal
    Free Member

I do the forearm check, elbow on the nose of the saddle and middle finger should be in the middle of the stem cap, works for me.

warpcow
    Free Member

lipseal – Member
    I do the forearm check, elbow on the nose of the saddle and middle finger should be in the middle of the stem cap, works for me.

Never tried that before but it works for my Inbred 🙂 My commuter, an old Kona, is about 7cm too long by that measure though.

singletrackmind

I know about elbow to stem cap, but that takes no account of length of stem , and length of saddle. I have a Gobi , and thats certainly longer than my SDG Bell End.
    From a token sample i am pretty much in the middle of scale.
    Onzadog is a little less , and Richn987 a little longer , but we are only looking at 1cm or so .A few more numbers would be helpful, maybe its actually because i am just clumsy and unco-ordinated . I know this because i cannot throw or catch or walk on a balance bar

Kahurangi

I’m 5’10 1/2″, slightly long in the back.

Centre of seat clamp to centre of bar distance (so you don’t need to know what stem and seat post I’m using, people seem to be getting confused 😛 )

Geared Long Forked HT – 695 mm. When I change stems for ‘race/trail mode’ that will become 715 mm.
    SS LF HT – 690 mm
    Drop bar commuter – 665 mm.

So given the stem lengths that you have, your frames have quite short top tube lengths. You might do well to try a frame with a longer TT and maybe also a shorter stem, see how that feels.

p.s. what’s the difference between an offset seatpost and a layback seatpost ❓

singletrackmind

One has the clamp set back immediatly beneath the saddle, and one is bent in the middle .

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

5’10”

XC race bike: 71cm (90mm stem, inline seat post)

Trail bike: 68cm (75mm stem, inline seat post)

I’m sure it has as much to do with flexibility and riding style as it does with height.

TimS
    Free Member

I’m 5’10 and a little bit…
    Full susser: 675 with a 70mm stem and 25mm layback seatpost.
    Roadie: 705 with a 100mm stem and 25mm layback seatpost. Frame is 18.5″

Might I suggest that if you feel like you’re perching on the bike, you try dropping the seat 1cm? I find that if I set my seat a little too high, it all just feels wrong.

iainc

all 4 bikes between 685 and 695. Rock Lobster HT is 685, 5 is 685, Bad Boy is 695, Jake the Snake is 695

oh, 5ft 10.5, with longish back

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Do me a favour , please .’ is closed to new replies.