Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Do LG make good TV's ?
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Been looking at TVs today at John Lewis. There are a couple which are in my sort of price range. One is a Samsung 46″ LED and the other is an LG 47″ LED 3D one for about the same price.

A bit unsure about the 3D, I kind of think if it’s not much more then why not, but I guess if you’re compromising the quality then I’d rather leave it. I does sound a bit cheap for a £D TV. Any experience of these makes / TVs?

I have it the back of my mind somewhere that LG’s aren’t as good?

donsimon
    Free Member

Go for the Samsung.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Have a look on homecinemachoice.com and avforums.com – loads of stuff on there. LG pretty good imo

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

LG actually make the panels for loads of other manufacturers, so you’re probbly getting a better bargain buying an LG than paying extra for a ‘better’ braynd.

tails
    Free Member

As Elfin says LG make a lot of LCD panels, that being said I still think Sony and panasonic still have the better internals. Although you’ll be very unlucky to get a dud from any brand.

v8ninety

LG; spot on. LCD panel industry leaders, I’m lead to believe.

tonyd

No idea on the quality of LG, but they seem to be doing well and the little I’ve heard of them seems to be good. The one thing that would swing it for me is this:

http://www.plexapp.com/medialink/files/index.html

I use plex at home as a media centre, running from a Mac Mini. It also streams to AppleTV. LG apparently now have the client native to the TV. If I were getting another TV it’d be one of these just for the Plex capability.

grantway
    Free Member

As above LG make most of the panels
    Got to say all our TV’s are LG.
    Very simple menu operating system even my Nan at 101 could use it.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

They might well do, but the one they made that I bought was totally crap and went back to Amazon rather quickly

Actually bought it after seeing a recommendation on this very board, thanks very much for that 🙂

cheez0
    Free Member

Yes

jon1973
    Free Member

so may as well go for the LG 3D then at virtually the same price?

what exactly do you mean by ‘the panels’?

mrben100
    Free Member

I always prefer sony, but recently TV knackered and we’re a bit skint so did a bit of research and ended up getting an LG – more than happy.

After I got over the snobbery of not having my wonderful Sony tele any more the qulity is actually pretty damn good.

Plus my better half’s initials are LG which obviously had no affect on the decision. 🙄

prettygreenparrot

Panels=the actual LCD bit. Sony take the chunk of the Samsung production that meets their specs. Not sure which other manufacturer’s panels they might take. Talk of ‘LED’ TVs is premature & has been addressed several times on the forum already. ‘LED’ usually refers to the backlighting for the LCD panel. Older systems used fluorescent tubes. Newer ones use LEDs. LED offers lower power consumption than fluorescent. LED also offers the opportunity for switching on & off of parts of the backlighting to give ‘blacker’ blacks than was possible with continual fluorescent backlighting. Not all LED backlighting has ‘dynamic switching’. There area very few ‘true’ LED panels that have genuine, glowing, LEDs to make up the picture elements. These still cost stack and are relatively small (Sony, 26″ OLED etc).

BTW 3D TV? At least the LG ones don’t need expensive active glasses.

jon1973
    Free Member

BTW 3D TV? At least the LG ones don’t need expensive active glasses.

yes, that’s a huge plus imo. £60 odd for glasses is a deal breaker for me on other makes. I think the LG comes with 6 sets or something.

Thanks for the information.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I’m watching one right now, it’s fine.

It functions perfectly well as a television, the cat is entranced by it and it hasn’t set the house on fire or exploded.

Someone will be along in a minute to tell you that LG are rubbish and you have to pay £17,000 for some ultra-niche audiovisual orgasmatron 4000 series, but you don’t.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Are LG industry leaders in LED panels as this is what the guy is asking about, NOT LCD.

retro83
    Free Member

I’d go for the Samsung personally. had a LG and the speakers/case got rattley.

chudly
    Free Member

LG had one load of junk

Drac

i’m using a LG display right now on my iMac but their TVs aren’t the greatest, cheap though so if your budget fits.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I have PC monitor and TV, been really reliable and are better value for money.

imnotamused
    Free Member

My 50″ 1080p plasma LG is great, picture is perfect, sound is fine. £445 two months ago. What’s not to like at that price?

iain1775
    Free Member

Had a cheapish 47″ lg plasma for 2 years and it’s great no probs at all picture and sound spot on, matches stuff I see now at twice the prIce
    Only issue (and it can be a pain) is that the remote is not very responsive, needs pointing very precisely
    Currently trying to talk myself out of buying a 37″ lg 3d led for the other room (very expensive at the time Sony CRT on way out after only 6 years) their 3d looked fantastic in the shop, for some reason the only 3d one I could view properly

Samsung – the PQ on my 40″ is stunning

iDave
    Free Member

You have to pay £17,000 for some ultra-niche audiovisual orgasmatron 4000 series

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Do LG make good TV's ?’ is closed to new replies.