Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Do compression layers work?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Read some 'interesting' claims about recovery etc… I can't see how it would make any difference tbh. Anyone use them and think they improve things?

Flaperon

Never noticed benefits in recovery etc, but the thin ones really helped avoid the feeling of dripping sweat when I was working in 48C plus temperatures last year. Only used the Under Armor heat gear tops though. If you get those, they do seem to stretch slightly over time so plan ahead. Also work as a good base layer in winter.

flyingfox
    Free Member

love them. Was the biggest cynic ever but they bre genuinely great.

DrJ

the thin ones really helped avoid the feeling of dripping sweat when I was working in 48C plus temperatures last year

How does that work (askin', not contradictin')? – sounds like tight clothes in hot weather would be torture 🙁

speed12
    Free Member

How does that work (askin', not contradictin')? – sounds like tight clothes in hot weather would be torture

The fabric wicks sweat off your body and out towards the air so it can evaporate. You still sweat, but a decent wicking baselayer/compression top means you should never really have any sweat on you. The tighter the better in that respect actually as you want as much fabric to skin contact as possible.

I'm a definite convert as well.

iDave
    Free Member

i'm a convert. always use skins as a baselayer, even in the heat, and run in skins shorts

Flaperon

DrJ – skin is naturally oily so sweat beads on it. Low surface area so not as efficient at evaporating. Base layers suck this straight up into a huge SA so it evaporates, and hence cools, a lot better.

HTTP404
    Free Member

compression layers are supposed to help prevent the build up of lactic acid in the muscles – so helps prevent aching muscles after exercise.
    they can be worn during and after exercise.
    the alternative is a cold shower or ice-bath.

some people use both.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Is there one that hides middle age spread and sculpts moobs into buff looking pects?
    Cos there's a potentially huge mtb market:)

IainGillam
    Free Member

Just started trying them out this week, I've got a set of linebreak stuff and so far it seams to be doing the job, I deffinatly feel less sore after using them might be the placebo effet coupled with not wanting to have wasted lots of money though! However, I will be buying more of the stuff so make of that what you will.

Iain

Edric64
    Free Member

s there one that hides middle age spread and sculpts moobs into buff looking pects?
    Cos there's a potentially huge mtb market:)

Mine sucks my gut in a treat its very stretchy and looks like it wouldnt fit a 10 year old.

walla24
    Free Member

so whats a good make/brand to be looking at? im interested in giving it a go

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Skinz are about the best you'll get.

Dougal
    Free Member

Been using a pair of TRP Elite compression tights for two months now, recovery only. Was a cynic till I tried them, they really make a difference to your recovery.

I also like to have an ice-bath after a hard session, though I can see why that isn't terribly attractive to a lot of people.

walla24
    Free Member

hehe link to where i can buy skinz from please?

googled skinz and came up with some skimpy swimwear company! 😯

iDave
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

CRC seems to be best price , do pay attention to their sizing charts – and if border line go smaller …

im a large in everything but skins make me a medium ….work just fine – great bits of kit when doing excessive milage continuously !

mrelectric

Got some from Aldi recently and really notice the cooling effect and like the support (and flatter moobs..yeah ok). May upgrade some time. Recommended.

willsimmons
    Free Member

Skins = emperor's new clothes

Little to no peer reviewed scientific evidence to support their claims that they improve recovery. Plenty to suggest otherwise though.

walla24
    Free Member

hmm i dont get it, how can something which squashes your crotch ever be comfortable?
    i dont even get on with bike short liners, but im well tempted by a compression top, the wicking business does seem to make sense.
    thanks for the link btw

Northwind

"might be the placebo effect"

Nothing wrong with that tbh, a placebo that makes you feel better is still working 😉

DrJ

hmm i dont get it, how can something which squashes your crotch ever be comfortable?

Less uncomfortable than your cobblers bouncing around, IME

walla24
    Free Member

chuckle….true

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i've had a pair of skins long tights since march and love them. only use them for recovery, but they make a huge difference. wear them after running, cycling or weights and recovery is so much better, and no DOMS either. love mine so much i'll be getting another pair to run in for winter – they are too hot to wear at this time of year.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Like nipple clamps it doesn't have to be comfortable to be enjoyable 😉

HTTP404
    Free Member

I bought here – http://www.subarmour.co.uk/
    Which has fitted well and performed well.

http://www.underarmour.com/ and the Canterbury brand seem to be on sale at discount at http://www.mandmdirect.co.uk.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Do compression layers work?’ is closed to new replies.