Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • DMR component design – EPIC FAIL!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, so I'm building a singlespeed: No problem, I've done it before, and I've got all the bits sat here ready. The icing on the cake is a good mate has very kindly given me a DMR Simple Tension Seeker, brand new it is. Result!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the whole point of an STS is to tension the chain on a singlespeed, yes?

So, esteemed STWers, please tell me why the effing groove in the effing roller isn't effing wide enough to accept a SRAM singlespeed chain, which catches on every effing link and jams on the effing quicklink?

So, I've got to replace the brand new SS chain I've just cut to length. Arse.

TO DMR –

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Which ss chain is it though, pc1 (or whatever its called these days)?

finbar
    Free Member

From the DMR website:

Designed to run with a geared chain, this limits the cost of going single speed on your existing geared mountain bike, remove your shifters and mechs, fit the STS and your ready to ride. If you wish to use a specific single speed chain – then please consider the Tension Seeker 2 as it will work with either chain type.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

limits the cost of going single speed on your existing geared mountain bike

Apart from when you've already had the whole, brand new, drivetrain sitting in your spares box for a year or more, waiting for the right frame. Double arse.

tinsy
    Free Member

Epic freebie part in fit for purpose shocker…

You must have an old 9 speed chain laying about..

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

ha ha FAIL

psychle
    Free Member

Would sir like a slice of

for breakfast this morning? 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You must have an old 9 speed chain laying about..

I do. But that's not the point is it? **Stamps feet**

The 9sp is knackered, and I usually use 8sp chains on my SSs…..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

One question –

If you didn't already know, why on earth would it even cross your mind a SS chain wouldn't work?

psychle
    Free Member

It wouldn't… I'd be as mystified as you are 🙂 . still funny though, when the full explanation as to why is posted for all to see on DMR's website 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

still funny though, when the full explanation as to why is posted for all to see on DMR's website

Oh yeah, true enough. That's how they made it. But surely to god you'd have thought they'd make it wide enough for a SS chain, just in case, like?

Weather the info is there or not, it's still a big fat FAIL in my book. 👿

tinsy
    Free Member

Doesnt it take an 8 speed chain either then?

Lifer
    Free Member

It's your fail, they designed it to run on geared chains and the TS2 for SS.

Pierre

It may also cross your mind that with a few minutes' careful work with a file you can widen the groove in the roller and make the free part you got work like the one you should have paid for…

: P

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It may also cross your mind that with a few minutes' careful work with a file you can widen the groove in the roller and make the free part you got work like the one you should have paid for…

I was toying with widening it, but I don't want to wreck a perfectly good component for the sake of a £6 chain.

And, pray tell, why 'should I have paid for it' ????

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's your fail, they designed it to run on geared chains and the TS2 for SS.

No, it's not. How could I have known that? Why would I even think to question that a SS tensionner would not work with a SS chain? (The clue's in the name!) That's like finding bread won't fit in a toaster! 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Clearly Peterpoddy's FAIL here – FAIL for posting about it before checking the component out.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

FAIL for posting about it before checking the component out.

Quite possibly that, yes, but I'd have only worded it slightly differently, that's all. 😛

BigJohn

What chain tensioner for digging yourself a really really deep hole in?

And a big up to DMR for designing separate chain tensioners for 3/32 and 1/8 chains

wwaswas

I agree with BigJohn – better to have a tensioner designed for the width of chain you'll be running than use a compromise?

Pierre

If it had been advertised as "suitable for all types of chain" and you'd bought it and found it wasn't suitable for your type of chain, some sort of failure would have occurred on DMR's part.

If you've been given a component that you haven't properly researched and then found out that it's sold as being explicitly INcompatible with your chain and you then come on here whingeing about it somehow being DMR's fault, I think the thread title would be more appropriately "PeterPoddy planning and reasoning – EPIC FAIL!"

: P

brooess
    Free Member

I might have a spare roller from a Gusset tensioner that I ran on my DMR ok. Email in profile if you want it

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So let's imagine I'd checked the DMR site between finding out it won't work and posting this thread…. I would have written this instead –

OK, so I'm building a singlespeed: No problem, I've done it before, and I've got all the bits sat here ready. The icing on the cake is a good mate has very kindly given me a DMR Simple Tension Seeker, brand new it is. Result!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the whole point of an STS is to tension the chain on a singlespeed, yes?

So, esteemed STWers, please be warned the effing groove in the effing roller isn't effing wide enough to accept a SRAM singlespeed chain, which catches on every effing link and jams on the effing quicklink?

Why? Because an STS is "Designed to run with a geared chain" according to DMR! Why on earth couldn't they make it a tad wider to work with SS chains too?

Now I've got to replace the brand new SS chain I've just cut to length. Arse.

[/color]

It would have been something like that….. 🙂

wwaswas

but the STS is designed for use by people converting a geared bike to Single Speed 'on the cheap', not someone building a dedicated Single Speed bike?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

With a bit of care and maybe a halflink nearly all vertical dropouts can be SS'd without an ugly tensioner (the only frame I could never quite get it to work on was a Pastey Howler).

But yeah, as much as I'm enjoying the winding up of PP as a spectator sport, you'd presume a SS tensioner to fit a SS chain without having to check the small print.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you've been given a component that you haven't properly researched and then found out that it's sold as being explicitly INcompatible with your chain and you then come on here whingeing about it somehow being DMR's fault, !"

That argumnet simply doesn't stack up. Sorry.
    Why should I even think about researching it?
    SS tensionner, SS chain. Makes sense.
    You wouldn't even think about it, would you? And if you say you would, you're lying. I'll bet this is news to some if not most of the posters on this thread! 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

With a bit of care and maybe a halflink nearly all vertical dropouts can be SS'd without an ugly tensioner (the only frame I could never quite get it to work on was a Pastey Howler).

But yeah, as much as I'm enjoying the winding up of PP as a spectator sport, you'd presume a SS tensioner to fit a SS chain without having to check the small print.

S'fine. It's all in jest. 🙂

I was thinkin of a half link actually, but I'm unsure it would work, and I don't want to cock it up again…… Probbly just get a cheap 8sp on the way home I think. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

But they make 2 (or more) different tensioners – Shirley one has to ask what the difference is?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I had the exact same problem, but it was easily solved with careful use of a power drill to widen the groove.

Mike
    Free Member

Now I haven't checked this, but surely It's just the roller that's different on the two models?

GW
    Free Member

did you write the manual on these too? 😛

BigDummy
    Free Member

This apparently unambiguous Poddy FAIL is shaking my world view to its foundations. I did not imagine that such things were possible. 😀

dasnut
    Free Member

RTFM FAIL

GaryLake
    Free Member

That reminds me, the stupid headset question probably needs a bump…

carbon
    Free Member

Is this for real?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘DMR component design – EPIC FAIL!’ is closed to new replies.