Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DIY electrical work
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Some advice needed –

Had a room created in our loft. We notified Building Control before any work started, paid the fee based on the overall project value , and they inspected the build as it progressed.

We were discussing what was needed to comply the whole house from the start but, after the builder had completed his work and been paid, the BCO has added further requirements on each visit.

We knew either fire alarms or fire doors were required and after t5he main work was complete I fitted the alarms which were sited in accordance with the manufacturers instructions and the locations through the house in accordance with the BCO’s requirements (every room and every landing). He OK’d positioning and that they were working correctly. He then asked us make further additions (fireproofing attic, cellar and kitchen doors) that had not been mentioned before and when he came to inspect those asked for a certificate for the fire alarms. It was never going to be possible to run a separate circuit for the alarms (this is a victorian house and the rest is fully decorated) and I’m sure I OK’d with him that the alarms would be run from the lighting circuit.

He’s now asking for an electrical certificate for the fire alarms which of course I don’t have.

wwaswas

I think you need a certificate for all new electrical installations now – contact the builder – they may have a freindly electrician who coudl inspect and certify your work.

Surprised that the original requirements for fire alarms/doors wasn’t made clear to you (and that your builder didn’t know).

alfabus
    Free Member

If you are doing electrical installation as part of a building notice, then I don’t think the Part P certification stuff matters. The building inspector should be signing off your work at first fix and providing the certificate on completion.

Who does he think is going to give you the certificate?

Dave

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

No, we knew we needed either alarms or doors but the BCO didn’t mention that, even though we had alarms, we needed to fireproof the doors to the attic, cellar, and replace the glass in the kitchen door with fire glass. There were other little things that he added each time he came throughout the build that were not asked for at the start.

I think you need a certificate for all new electrical installations now

http://www.partp.co.uk/partp.aspx

My reading is that if it’s a standalone bit of electrical work this is an alternative to calling in Building Control but if BC are already on site and paid for then it shouldn’t be a problem

thehustler
    Free Member

Any changes to a ring main (this includes adding in the fire alarms) requires part P certification, dont be tight get it done, your house insurance is invalid without it!!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Any changes to a ring main (this includes adding in the fire alarms) requires part P certification, dont be tight get it done, your house insurance is invalid without it!!

Do you know that or is that a guess? Lots of info on the web that says extending an existing ring main (by adding a spur) is not notifiable under part p. ie fine to DIY

And again, notifiable work simply means you must either let BC know (and pay for them) which we’ve already done in this case, or pay someone who is PartP accredited and they inform BC (so you don’t have to notify and pay yourself).

Dudie
    Free Member

Any changes to a ring main (this includes adding in the fire alarms) requires part P certification

No it doesn’t

Details on what is or isn’t notifiable under Part P here:
    Clicky linky

richsmith
    Free Member

If you alter the characteristics of a circuit which you have done,you need a minor works certificate for that circuit. Smoke and fire alarms can be supplied off a lighting circuit or a seperate circuit at the consumer unit. You also need a certificate for the alarms showing activation levels of sound,heat and smoke.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If you alter the characteristics of a circuit which you have done,you need a minor works certificate for that circuit.

Eek – no-ones mentioned that before. linky to find out more? what is this, who, how much etc.

You also need a certificate for the alarms showing activation levels of sound,heat and smoke

really? Is this from the manufacturer or are you saying they need to be tested somehow? Does this really apply to domestic?

Next question – anyone know a ‘tame’ sparks in London?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DIY electrical work’ is closed to new replies.