Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DIY Divorce Question
  • JCornford

I'm doing it all myself and was wondering if any one else had done this?

Am I right in thinking that if you have seperated for more than 6 months before you do the divorce that you can't state the cause as Adulterey? It sounds a bit odd to me, but I'm sure i've read that.

Thanks

marsdenman
    Free Member

Hi JC
    I did the whole thing myself.
    Given that ours was an amicable, if painful separation, there was no bickering for solicitors to get involved in.. saved a shed load of money…

IIRC – someone advised me that I could 'do it myself' so I looked it up, went to the local courts to get the paperwork – 2 or 3 forms which all had to be hand-written with the same info and sent off…. the rest was just down to time for the courts to process things and send out / chase up the relevan decrees at the relevant times….
    Don't recall the '6 month' clause ref adultery though, worth a phone call perhaps to clarify if that is going to be your 'grounds for'

Hope that helps

Chris

Cooroo
    Free Member

No, I'm 99% sure there is no 'statute of limitations' on adultery. I divorced my husband about 15 months after he left. It was just a matter of filling in the form, and he was happy to do his (he wanted to get re-married so in his interest). It was cheaper than the one, 'free' consultation I had with a solicitor!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    firestarter
    Free Member

i did it myself took a couple of months but went smooth it was slightly more drawn out as my ex lives overseas so everything had to go via her mother

AndyP
    Free Member

kevonakona
    Free Member

Systems are different in Scotland and England. Done it in Scotland and basically if you both agree AND the money side is settled then fill in forms and send off money to Sheriff court (oh and only one of the parties need be resident in scotland). They will then contact other half and jobs a good 'un. If they cannot find other half then there is a time lag.

You can even find soliciters that will do the notary thing for a contribution to the charity box (tho i think the system was changing last time i did it).

JCornford

All the money has been sorted, house sold et6c, it's just the paper work that needs sorting out. Cooroo, thanks for that as my paper work implies that it has to be done within 6 months, but we had only been married 5 so ahd to wait another 7 before we could do anything about it and then we decided to sell the house and clear the all the monetry issues first and with the current climate the house took over a year to sell, so it's coming up to almost 2 years down the line now.

iDave
    Free Member

having been through this myself 6 years ago, the main things to consider are – is she a looker? does she ride? what's her number?

JCornford

This is what it says in the paper work I've got
    "if you can prove that an extra martial affair has taken place, and you want to petition on the grounds of adultery, you must do so within six months of the affair taking place [note: this is not of your becoming aware of the affair, but of the affair happening"

iDave
    Not as good looking as my new 19 year old girlfriend.
    Nope, never has never will.
    Don't know, I "lost" it when I got a new phone.

iDave
    Free Member

still may be adequate
    good
    ask her solicitor?

seriously, i did the whole thing minus solicitors and everything could be classified as unreasonable behaviour.

JCornford

Cheers, i'll get the pen out and start form filling tonight. 😀

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If you've been separated for 2 years, or you are both prepared to say you have been and it doesn't contradict any significant dates…. like the wedding!, then this is grounds enough to grant the divorce and it should be a very straight forward exercise in paperwork.

As a DIY divorcee myself, my only other comment is to be prepared to be treated like a piece of sh!t by the counter staff of the courts office… or maybe that was just the staff at the Bath office….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DIY Divorce Question’ is closed to new replies.