• This topic has 29 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Ditching work for job interview etiquette
  • bikemonkey
    Free Member

I've managed to land a job interview for a position I really want, but they want me to come in this Thursday (found out today). Shall I call in sick (will feel guilty, not had a day off sick here in 18 months) or try to take it off as leave (will heighten suspiscion).

If I do try to take it off as leave, what's a really good last minute excuse?

doc_blues
    Free Member

why do you need an excuse? what you do on YOUR days leave is your business.

geoffj

What he said ^

mogrim

Call in sick, dodgy stomach – noone ever wants to know the details of how often you've been sick over the past 24hrs.

woody2000

Tell them it's for the final review before your sex change op

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Double post

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I currently work in quite a friendly place where we all try to manage holidays etc to avoid disruption where possible. I could take the day off and be a bit cagey when they ask, but this would be out of character, a little odd for where I work, and I may not get the job and have to stay.

Think I may call in sick with the squits, as I can't do a poorly voice.

Tell them it's for the final review before your sex change op
    tee hee

uplink
    Free Member

Think I may call in sick with the squits, as I can't do a poorly voice

call in when you're lying down, apparently 🙂

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

you 'forgot' about a dentist appointment?

bikemonkey
    Free Member

you 'forgot' about a dentist appointment?

I don't have a dentist, and proudly told everyone this a couple of weeks ago!

jon1973
    Free Member

why do you need an excuse? what you do on YOUR days leave is your business

True, but they may not let you have the particular day off that you want – which does happen with some types of job, if they can’t cover you. So if they refuse, it looks suspicious when you go for plan B and take a day off sick.

I'd take a day off sick.

crazy-legs

I'd take a day off sick.

Although when you turn up to work a week later and hand your notice in, they'll cotton on straight away as to what you got up to on your day off sick!

Haze

Take 2 days off to make it more convincing.

Attend your interview and go riding/drinking on the other.

Moses

As above, take a long weekend and it will look fine

thomthumb
    Free Member

last time i had to do this i told them it was for a ride – and fitted in a ride too – i did come clean to them when i got the job though.

organic355
    Free Member

I don't have a dentist, and proudly told everyone this a couple of weeks ago!

All the more believable that you need to go in for an emergency filling then?

jon1973
    Free Member

Although when you turn up to work a week later and hand your notice in, they'll cotton on straight away as to what you got up to on your day off sick!

I'd rather them cotton on after the interview and once I've been offered a job then before. If they get suspicious beforehand and you don't get the job then your card is marked.

If you going to another job anyway, why does it matter why they think you were off sick, as long as you don't admit it to them.

Probably agree with others that 2 day sick is more realistic than a single day though. That gives you a day to prepare, and a day for the interview. No one is sick for a day.

beaker

Take two days off…. interview thurs ride friday? The weather improves to the end of the week i think??

thepurist

Be careful with sickies for interviews – it backfired horribly on someone I knew when his new company found out that he'd lied to the old company. His integrity went out the window, and the job went with it, leaving him stuck facing an awkward situation and disciplinary procedures at his old place. Not worth it IMO.

What's the big deal about going for an interview? If your current lot are smart they'll find out what you're looking for and try to keep you (if they want to) – if you want to leave anyway, what's the big deal with telling people. One place I worked it was pretty common for people to take a day/half day to 'go and see their auntie'.

Haze

On the other hand, 2 days off might make it look like you're trying too hard… 😉

Olly
    Free Member

day off, if they persist with what you were up to, tell them.

stop looking so guilty!

ourmaninthenorth

Hmm. Am going through the same thoughts, though I suspect I can turn it into a "meeting" or "working from home". One of the advantages of workign somewhere where the bosses don't give a s**t is that they don't notice if I'm not there….

I'm later in the month though, so could feasibly organise a day off when I know which of the choice of two days it is.

Sooo hope I get it.

🙂

stumpyjon

What ever you decide if you aren't going to tell the full truth keep the lie simple. Squits is a good excuse, no outward signs and can legitimately be over and done in a day. Oh and don't tell your prospective new employers that you took a sicky.

Personally it's the way I'd go, any over elaborate lie about why you need to take holiday quickly could easily backfire if they say no, get all compassionate and say just take the day without taking a holiday (then you'd feel guilty) or just ask you about the details when you get back.

Hammo
    Free Member

I hate chucking a sickie, however, if needs must.

Maybe take two days off just to prove how i'll you are(n't.)

Chris

DT78
    Free Member

Personally I'd tell them I was going for an interview, with the reasons your looking to leave. Ultimately your boss will respect you for being honest – even if it might leave him up sh*t creek.

You never know they if your good and valued they might try to improve whatever the reason is your looking elsewhere

Haribo
    Free Member

tell them something personal has come up that you need to take the day off for, nobody ever asks what this is and if they do say its a family matter.

at least thats half way honest

momentum
    Free Member

I was going to say exactly what Haribo said – not worth chucking a sickie

mrchrispy

if you can take a 1/2 day and fit the interview in then do that…..then go back into work all suited and booted. let em know your a man in demand.

kennyp
    Free Member

If you call in sick then get the new job what's to stop your new employers finding out what sort of person you are?

Take a day's leave. Doesn't do any harm for your company to know they might have to work harder to keep you.

nuke

Yeah another vote for what Haribo said…annual leave day because a personal/family/domestic issue has arisen.

Good luck for the interview

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Ditching work for job interview etiquette’ is closed to new replies.