Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Dispute with hosuemates (one for the moral amongst you)
  • speaker2animals

I'd definitely be trying to see if the original retailer would cover it under warranty anyway irrespective of who owns/watches TV. If A hardly uses TV then don't bother getting another. If B and/or C want one they should buy one.

If I was A and couldn't get the repair done under warranty I'd probably get it repaired (if economical to do so) and maybe just mention the cost to B & C and say that I would be grateful if the others would contribute toward the cost.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In case anyones still hanging on for a thriling conclusion I'm B.

I've proposed I 'buy' the broken TV for £135, hosuemate C chips in £60, we buy a replacement off ebay for £195 (plenty to chose from), I buy an AVreciever for my new house and everyone is at least on speeking terms if a little unhappy with the whole sorry mess.

I hate house prices, lets face it when 3 people earning ~£30k each can't afford to live independantly there's something wrong!

meehaja
    Free Member

simple, as a group go out and get very drunk. then come home, try to "fix" T.V, give up, throw it out fo bedroom window until it explodes. cheer.

surfer
    Free Member

Who was holding the remote control when it broke!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

psychle is right. Take it back to the shop. Even if the warranty is out, EU regs state 2 years, the reason we do not have 2 years is because we have the 'reasonable' expectation category and that is more than 2 years. Check with CAB. If the shop refuses to fix (which is very unlikely) go see CAB

Pook

thisisnot[b] A [/b]spoon fixes it and gets on with life with two mates still being mates. Life's too short for stupid things like this.

IHN

Contact the shop/Samsung. They're notorious for the sound going, Samsung can provide a software update to fix it (happened to a chap at work)

Or, to answer the question, if A never uses the telly and it's now broken, he say's "I never used it anyway, and would therefore never use the replacement, so if you want another one, buy it yourself".

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

just to re-iterate, I'm B (a few people nor reading the whole thread before replying)

Pook

I said A

😛

donks
    Free Member

Oh house sharing days were great…I had a right crack dont get me wrong but as i was the one who owned everything…TV, Stereo, vinyl, bikes, food, dope, beer…everything got eaten, drunk, broken, scratched or borrowed so unless you draw up some kind of agreement on shared items from the onset or it is blatently obvious that someone was to blame you must suck the mop my man.

Cougar

B has essentially told A to go back to the shop he got it from and pusue them

Then you'd be right.

A buys an expensive TV, then promptly gives it to his mates to watch. TV breaks. A is liable for sorting it out as he clearly has more money than sense.

As others have said, A's best bet is persuing warranty claims. I see no obligation for B and C to contribute towards repairs, however if a replacement was to be bought then I'd expect B or C to be buying the replacement as they're the heaviest users. A obviously isn't going to want to buy a second TV if he never watches it.

That said, depending on circumstances, B or C might want to help finance a replacement / repair, which would be a good thing to do, but if A is being arsey then I'd be arsey right back.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You're B? Good job – you can tell A to go swivel.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Warranties aside:

The TV is A's responsibility and property, he chose to put it there with no consideration to cost of replacement etc. He put it in a common space and allowed others to use it. While he has no responsibility to replace it if he doesn't want to, if he does then he bears the cost (though the others may contribute). The point is that if A buys another TV and B and C contribute, A cannot then take that TV when he leaves as it is part owned by B and C, who may ask for a portion back.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

…lets face it when 3 people earning ~£30k each can't afford to live independantly (sic) there's something wrong!

Is that supposed to be a joke?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

All chip in for the repair.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I would take it that person a owns the tv, it broke, then it's his responsibilty, unless there is an agreement in place already.

In my house I provided the washing machine, fridge freezer, tv, sterio, blah blah blah.

I live with one other person, we both agreed, that I would just leave all the stuff for any one to use, providing that if it broke, then we would share the cost of the replacement but it would still be my property.

steve-g
    Free Member

I think what you have suggested sounds fair, fixes the issue of the lack of tele, and then if A gets the cashback on the dodgy tele then you both get your money back and he is 105 quid richer

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is that supposed to be a joke?

Nope, they joy's of living in Reading.

For what we paid per room, guys doing the same job as us, but on marginaly less money were renting 3 bed houses in Manchester 🙁

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Nope, they joy's of living in Reading.

For sh1ts and giggles I searched rightmove.com and within a minute got over 10 pages of 1 and 2 bedroom flats for around £700/month. Not cheap, I agree, but easily done on a £30k salary.

Grimy
    Free Member

As Psychie and Charlie have already said, you should be able to get the tv repaired or replaced by the retailer. My brother had a 37" toshiba from Commet which broke after about two and a half years. Called commet customer support, quated the sale of goods act 1979, provided an engineers report that cost him £20, and got 80% of the original cost of the TV back.

Gave the same advice to a work collegue, 18month tv broke, used the same legislation and had it replaced free of charge.

If A cant be bothered to pursue this course first, then B and C shouldnt feel any guilt in walking away.

just for referance: –

Your legal rights

Many people assume there is only a legal warranty for one year. Further confusion was caused in recent years following reports on EU law, which offers a two-year warranty.

However, the UK Sale of Goods Act (1979) state actually gives you greater rights and therefore takes precedence – a warranty of up to six years in England & Wales. If an item fails within six months, the obligation is on the retailer – not the manufacturer – to repair or offer a partial refund. Beyond that, the onus is on the consumer to prove the goods had an inherent fault at manufacture which has caused them to fail.

But consumers can also turn to the EU law for cover up to two years. The European rule does not require the buyer to show the fault is inherent in the product.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Three fish, are they in either

Baisingstoke Road, whitley, (usualy refered to as 'south reading' by estate agents)

Or Oxford Road (refered to as west Reading)

Or anywhere else in 'Reading'

It's probably sh**/dangerous to live there/both

£800 would be a flat with a garage in an area you might not get knifed in. £1100 if you want a 'nice' (nothing special) flat somewhere 'nice' (not a characterfull village with easy access to the stations, just a newbuild estate).

Three_Fish
    Free Member
    Farmer_John
    Free Member

it's still covered by the EU mandatory warranty that manufacturers have to offer for two years on electrical items, so get the retailer to fix it for free.

Xylene
    Free Member

Colonel Mustard in the living room with the rolling pin

skidartist
    Free Member

Any reasonable person would expect a TV to last longer than 14 months.

Really? – It was once quite reasonable to expect a decade or so out of a telly, a friend of mine dropped a trinitron three stories and it kept working. I wouldn't hold out those kinds of hopes for an LCD telly though. I used a batch of 4 of them for an exhibition I built a couple of years ago, One had packed up in the first month, after 14 months we'd swap out dead TVs six times. I then had a contract another show that had two LCD tvs in it, over 12 months they both had to be replaced.

Wouldn't spend my own money on one.

edhornby

it's a shared house, A should know that anything used communally will get trashed but B and C should chip in, good on you Mr B for holding your hand up. get a really cheap sh1t one off ebay it will force you to watch it less, or even better, see how long you can go without one, I had a 2 yr tellyfree existence at one point and I did so much more with my time

sharing is great, I did for a good few years and the last house I lived in was ace

tree-magnet
    Free Member

skidartist – Member

Any reasonable person would expect a TV to last longer than 14 months.

Really? – It was once quite reasonable to expect a decade or so out of a telly, a friend of mine dropped a trinitron three stories and it kept working. I wouldn't hold out those kinds of hopes for an LCD telly though. I used a batch of 4 of them for an exhibition I built a couple of years ago, One had packed up in the first month, after 14 months we'd swap out dead TVs six times. I then had a contract another show that had two LCD tvs in it, over 12 months they both had to be replaced.

Wouldn't spend my own money on one.

6 years out of my Sony LCD so far. I seem to remember as a kid in the 80's that the TV repairman earned a few quid out of those big colour TV's…

Buttons were better though. ITV? Cerlunk.

konabunny
    Free Member

Let me ask a question: did each housemate end up contributing something to the house or was it only the TV?

Did A also bring a washing machine, B brought a dishwasher, C brought a microwave etc? Cos if it were like that, I'd be tempted to say that it's unlucky for the TV owner but really all of you chipped in "hardware" and you all probably used it in different amounts and any of it could have blown up for no reason at any time.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Dispute with hosuemates (one for the moral amongst you)’ is closed to new replies.