Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Disc scraping.
  • OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

This is something that I'm getting quite a lot. Never used to happen with my Kooka cable brakes but with Hope hydraulics, seems to lightly touch most of the time, despite best efforts to stop this by centing pads and jigging around with mounting the caliper centrally.

Is this something that's generally ignored until it gets really loud?

Also, if the cause of this is a slightly warped disc, is this something that is trued up as and when needed?

TIA

uplink
    Free Member

Too much fluid?

chvck
    Free Member

No matter how much I fiddle with mine and get them perfect in the workstand they rub slightly when i'm sat on the bike. I just ignore it!

walla24
    Free Member

? open yer bleed nipple slightly and push pad back into caliper…make sure you close the nipple before you release pressure on the pads giving them chance to 'rebound' and suck in air though

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They shouldn't rub at all – None of mine do.

The seals might need lubing but the most likely is not centralising properly – You do not centralise by loosening the bolts and putting the brake on – the correct way is in this vid. The slotted mounts are to centralise the caliper not the pistons

http://www.hopegb.com/page_mep_force_39.html

mike_check
    Free Member

Walla – better off opening the resevoir cap and pushing the pads back, won't risk air getting in that way.

walla24
    Free Member

mike_ ahh never though of that, good idea 💡

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Unfortunately the bleeding theory doesn't work, as the next stroke takes up the slack. 🙁

Think I'll become all anal, buy a disc trueing spanner and jiggle about for hours with it!

Also, I'll try and get the facing on the frame done – never had any of this with cable brakes!! 😥

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have you centred the pistons as in the hope vid?

Are your discs straight?

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Yup, done all that.

Discs may be slightly warped (see above) but to me, there's too small a gap between disc and pads and that doesn't seem to be adjustable.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The clearance should be tiny – a couple of tenths of a mm on mine. This is not adjustable – its the rebound of the seals that pulls the pistons back

/try resetting them from scratch – push the pistons right back in and reset according to the hope vid

Any bend in the discs will lead to rub

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Disc scraping.’ is closed to new replies.