Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Disc pad material mystification
  • dave360

When I buy brake pads the bloke behind the counter asks if I want sintered or organic. I usually say "sintered" in an authoritative way, but really I'm thinking "fecked if I know"

So would anyone mind taking a few minutes out of their day to tell me what is the difference between organic, sintered, ceramic and any other variants that may exist? ta very much.

Wozza
    Free Member

Shimano pads say Metal or Resin on the back.

Metal or Sintered last longer and are supposed to work better in the wet and from cold.

Resin or Organic wear out quicker but are much stronger once the heat is in.

A mate sorts me out with free Shimano pads, so price not coming into it I always choose Resin.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Yeah, if I wasn't paying then I'd go for resin ones….. but they don't last very long if you're using them every day in all weathers on a commuter…. so I usually get sintered ones 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Wozza
    Free Member

. but they don't last very long if you're using them every day in all weathers on a commuter

Or in the Peaks in anything resembling rain! The original sintered stay in the tool kit to get me home!!

Stoner
    Free Member

I have found this a useful source
    http://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=8&q=compounds&

dave360

Thanks men. So red ceramic then.

mtbrDot
    Free Member

Shimano resin pads don't last at all. Once I worn them out to the metal in 20 minutes, yes, new pads in TWENTY minutes under pissing rain riding a very sandy trail and since then I will never use them again (well, I will today, on the road: too lazy to change them to sintered).

tangobravo
    Free Member

take your pick, hard compound (sintered) with lower performance or a softer compound with greater performance which wears quickly.

Then add a pinch of marketing bollox and jobs a goodun

higgo
    Free Member

I've bought some kevlar ones from a company called 'SuperStars'. I'm told they have the performance on organic but last like sintered. And all for a very nice price. I'm happy to recommend them.

thepodge
    Free Member

i found this very useful

HERE

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Disc pad material mystification’ is closed to new replies.