Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Disaster averted
  • bish

Yesterday i managed to strip the thread in the post mount on my forks. 🙁
    After much shouting and swearing i decided that i didn’t really want to buy some new forks so decided i would try to helicoil it.
    Just finished it now, only took half an hour and was a lot easier than i expected.
    I am now a very happy boy. 😀

lucien

Good for you and thank you for sharing your hapiness

Shorty121
    Free Member

Did the same last week 🙂

james
    Free Member

The joys of IS mount ..

I keep worrying Ill strip the thread in my post mount lowers.
    Nice to know I won’t have to pay £££ for new lowers if I do

endorphinix
    Free Member

YO,

Just stripped my Fox Fork Lowers Disc Mount… What size helicoil did you use, where did you buy it and how did you do it!!!

So pissed at myself,only reason it happened was that i was prepping bike for Scottish champs tomorrow, when my pads fell out of my Stroker trails front brake, along with the piston / pad connector pin. So i dug out my wife’s old juicy caliper onto my Stroker lever and it worked, went to put the caliper onto the forks and it was a bit of a fiddle as Juicys are, to get aligned. I tightened and loosened too many times and stripped it! completely my own fault.

What makes it worse is that I just put brand new 2012 Xt’s on my wifes bike and she came home two days ago with it in bits in her pocket having come off and obliterated the right lever on some rocks! So were not having much luck here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Helicoils are available from many sources – think brake mounts are m6 but not sure.

You might get away with using a longer bolt for now if there is unused thread at the bottom of the hole. Its a bodge tho and not one I would rely on other than emergancies

Whereabouts you based? I have an m6 helicoil kit here in edinburgh

The-Duke

I did the same on a set of fox forks, managed to fix it with some threaded rod and a nut as luckily there was some undamaged thread further in. Lathered the rod with threadlock and ran it like this for a few years with no issues, part of reason I bought a torque wrench though

endorphinix
    Free Member

I’m Central Fife,

Does the heli coil kit include a tap and the tools for the job then,
    Also do people drill out the hole with a hand power drill or do you have to be more precise and use a jig.

Going to race tomorrow then take caliper off and have a better inspection, I doubt theres much thread left as I tried using a longer bolt but it just span freely. (I did a proper job of it)

endorphinix
    Free Member

Just answered my own question by looking at the link for the kit above.

I’ll pop in to my local mechanics early next week and see if they use this type of thing as a lot of links refer to use on cars, Cheers

endorphinix
    Free Member

Just an update to say I bought the kit from the link above. Thought a first about buying the more expensive ones (up to £45) but decided to take the risk.

Glad I did, kit arrived in post this morning and was fitted in less than 10 minutes. Cleaned up my bolt and it goes into the little spring in the newly drilled and tapped hole perfectly!

Awesome fix, for a completely heart sinking moment when I felt the threads give way!

Thank to all who posted and helped me fix this problem!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

They seem extremely cheap compared to genuine Helicoils…what’s the catch?

endorphinix
    Free Member

Judging by the quality of this kit it obvious that there must be a ridiculous mark up on the more expensive ones. It came in 2-3 days of ordering from good old Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PIECE-THREAD-REPAIR-KIT-8-0mm/dp/B007AUWSVW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1338669775&sr=8-4%5D

If you were to use this tool day in day out you might find the drill bit might wear or the tap part blunts a little. I have no experience of this as I have and “hope” to only have to use it the once! For a mtber who maybe uses it a couple of times its absolutely perfect.

Mountain biking is one of those hobbies where mistakes often expensive so its refreshing to have a minor catastrophe and fix it for just over a tenner!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Disaster averted’ is closed to new replies.