• This topic has 28 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mos.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Dinglespeed, double singlespeed
  • miranmtb
    Free Member

Anybody using a dingle setup?
    What it is like? How annoying it is to change ratios.
    Show me your pics.
    Thinking of 32×20 for off road (sometimes) and 34×18 for road, city, kids, errands (most of the time)

edhornby

it’s the stop-faff-messyhands-reset chain that puts me off, and the complexity of having to get two working chainlines that are the same chain lengh…if you have a high gear for road it may be too much for a big hill, or still being dropped by the guy with gears..

I considered it but came to the conclusion that I would either have a derailleur or a SS

ianfitz
    Free Member

Sturney archer do a two speed kick shift hub…

wiggles
    Free Member

Or get a hammerscmidt…

PhilO
    Free Member

I ran this arrangement for a year or three, until dicky knees forced me back to gears. If your rides involve a long flattish section to get to/from the hills (my rides generally feature 8-10km of canal towpath at each end) then it’s a good solution.

Changing ratios is a slight faff, but not much more than refitting a thrown chain.

Chain line is easy; just use two cassette spacers between the sprockets to match the spacing of the chainrings. Ratios are also easy. I ran unfashionably large chain rings, and used ratios of 44:18 and 40:22. But as long as the total tooth count is the same for each ratio, the change in chain tension is small enough for it to function in both ratios without adjustment – there’ll be slightly more slack in the lower ratio, but not enough to cause any trouble. Your suggested ratios, being only 2 teeth different in ring size, should work even better. Although I’d question whether there’s any point in having gears so close together. Depends on your riding – the above ratios worked for me in and around the South Wales valleys and Brecon Beacons.

Don’t consider the Sturmey two speed. Kickback gear change is a PITA on a road bike, and would be a nightmare off road (I had one on my Moulton, and replaced it with an Sram Automatix). They also have (literally!) zero sealing.

Rickos
    Free Member

And the Hammerschmidt idea isn’t great because the direct drive is the bigger gear, so you end up with loads of drag in the gear for the hills. Something like that anyway. Some chap on Dirt Rag(?) tried it and came to the conclusion that it was frustrating.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

White indutries make a special kit for this but i not sure i could ever be bothered to change. When riding the ss kn the road i just accept i have to spin at 110 rpm Or more.

MrTricky
    Free Member

I run exactly that combination and the change in chain length works fine for me. Find I mainly use the 34 x18. However, is does clog up with mud more readily front & rear (Wiltshire clay). On-one sprockets are what I use as you can adjust chain line a little with them.

kelvin

[video]http://vimeo.com/5512351[/video]

epicyclo

I use it. It’s no more hassle than using a flip flop hub.

It’s not intended for folk who want to change gear a lot, more for a long haul on the road (higher gear) to a trail and then flip the bike over and change the chain over. You don’t have to touch the chain, but it’s worth carrying a bit of paper towel just in case.

TiRed

I run 34×17 and 34×15 on the same Hope freehub using two Surly sprockets. Changing gears is a two minute job moving the back wheel forward and backwards. I chose this setup for singlespeed cross races where I can ride a practice lap and select an appropriate ratio. I also have a 16T so could put all three sprockets on the freehub.

Other than carrying a small extra weight, there are no downsides.

I thought dinglespeed needed a bigger tooth ratio change front to rear;

36×18 (2:1) and 42×12 (3.5:1) would be proper dinglespeed. That would be a high top gear to ride, even on the road.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yep, not rear though – I use a 17T sprocket on the rear and 34 and 24 on the front on my Cove Hooker. Sprung tensioner (a necessity on an FS bike) means that it’s easy to take up the extra slack too. Dropping the chain to the granny ring takes seconds and pushing it back to the middle ring not a lot longer. Most of my rides are done purely singlespeed but the bail out option is welcome for the Cafel climb at Cwmcarn.

thepodge
    Free Member

The double front single rear is something I’ve often considered but I’d probably go with a front mech and thumb shifter.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Schlumpf?

Superficial
    Free Member

Why would you call it dinglespeed? It’s doublespeed if anything.

PhilO
    Free Member

Because it’s single speed in the sense that you can’t shift ‘on the go’, so while riding you are stuck in one ratio. But you have the option of one of two ratios which you can set your single speed in. So dual single speed, if you like.

Personally, I hate the term ‘dingle speed’, though. I always called mine ‘twinglespeed’ 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

I did it so I had a road commuter and off road bike at weekends, can’t remember the exact ratios but think it was 32/16 and 38/13 the maths was one tooth out for matching but in practice because of the wrap round the bigger chainring there was no slack to be taken up. Swapping over was a very quick job, changing the tyres took longer.

epicyclo

PhilO – Member
    Personally, I hate the term ‘dingle speed’, though. I always called mine ‘twinglespeed’

I’m not keen on dinglespeed either, but twinglespeed sounds too much like the enhancement setting on a lady’s enjoyment toy.

And come to think of it, dinglespeed can conjure up some associations too. 🙂

But how to come up with a suitable name?

A preface of “Bi-“? Nup, binglespeed sounds like a clumsy jump bike, and could be mistaken for blinglespeed, the name for those unfortunate bikes with those dangly road chain manglers.

Maybe we should have a competition for the best name for a dual chainline singlespeed.

miranmtb
    Free Member

Great, glad I am not alone thinking about this. IHG and other expensive/complex solutions are out, want to keep the ss simplicity.
    Thinking about Alfine 8 if for any reason would want gears in the future, but not now.
    The bike is an older Inbred 29er ss 34×20, normal cassette freehub, Don’t want a big difference in high and low gear.
    Can climb most road stuff with 34×18 and 32×20 is great for off road and steeper stuff.
    Not planning to change ratio mid ride very often.
    The cotic video is what I am after, looks simple enough.
    Maybe have to just try it as it is not that expensive.

epicyclo

On a bike like an Inbred with trackends you have a bit more leeway. I used a moveable clamp and simply carried a few spare cogs. Procedure, loosen wheel, slacken clamp, slide cog into line with the front ring. tighten.

I used this setup when I was intending to ride to the SSEC in Ireland. I needed a road gear but didn’t want to carry the tools needed to do a cog change when I got there. As you can see, all I needed was a 2.5mm allen key.

_tom_
    Free Member

Have you heard of this thing called a derailleur? They’re not very niche though so you may not be interested.

epicyclo

_tom_ – Member
    Have you heard of this thing called a derailleur?…

A rapid wearing abomination invented by Satan for lycra wearing drug taking roadies, not fit for purpose on a proper offroad bike.

When I want to change gears, I use a proper gearbox like an Alfine or Rohloff.

🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

I used this setup when I was intending to ride to the SSEC in Ireland

Intending to as in never did it? I remember briefly speaking to a guy who did this, rode the whole SSEC with a rear rack on his bike… I say speaking to, calling him mad is more accurate. Was that you?

rusty90
    Free Member

On a bike like an Inbred with trackends you have a bit more leeway. I used a moveable clamp and simply carried a few spare cogs. Procedure, loosen wheel, slacken clamp, slide cog into line with the front ring. tighten.

A certain Signor Campagnolo had a similar idea but took it bit further. With some quick release clamps and a splined axle he got it so you could change gear whilst riding.

http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2010/4/26/the-cambio-corsa-campagnolos-early-masterpiece.html

thecaptain
    Free Member

You could upgrade to three speeds with a sturmey archer hub, and not have the fuss of moving the chain manually….

epicyclo

rusty90 – Member
    A certain Signor Campagnolo had a similar idea but took it bit further. With some quick release clamps and a splined axle he got it so you could change gear whilst riding.

Yes, I’ve seen that. An obvious scam for unscrupulous Bentley driving bike shop owners to sell delusion bling seekers expensive quickly obsoleting jewellry for their road bikes.

Surely you’re not suggesting fitting such finely engineered dangly bits to an offroad bike where it will be dragged through the mud and grit, or torn off by passing shrubbery?

thepodge – Member
    Intending to as in never did it?…

DIdn’t do it. Had a wee medical emergency the week I was leaving, so ended up going by car. Mad enough to ride there? – you were probably talking to Andy (Uistboy?) or Tom, – although after drinking with the Slovenians, my definition of mad has changed boundaries.

benw
    Free Member

Dinglespeed,it’s what Burnley folk ride..

somafunk

I had the White Industries Double/Double set-up on my Peregrine, it worked but there was always a compromise in the chain lengths, if you set it up perfect for the high gear then the chain length was rather tight for the low gear and vice versa.

It did look very nice though, and it only took a few seconds to swap gears.

I sold it to someone on STW, it was a lovely bike but too big 🙁

mos

So that’s where Rockshox got the Tulio name from.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Dinglespeed, double singlespeed’ is closed to new replies.