Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Digital photo album
  • aracer
    Free Member

Was thinking of getting mum a digital photo frame for her birthday (pre-loaded with pics of grandkids etc.), but my sister suggested rather than something to put on the mantlepiece, how about an album she can carry in her handbag. I presume this requires not only an internal battery with decent lifespan (which goes to standby to save batteries), but also a cover to protect the screen when being carried, and a degree of sturdiness. Any suggestions, bearing in mind she will be 80 and doesn't have a computer herself, so I'm also after something extremely easy to use? Spotted this, but would prefer something a bit cheaper.

Alternatively any suggestions for a normal digital frame given above requirements.

aracer
    Free Member

Nobody any ideas?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Seriously – who on earth would want a digital photo album in their handbag? Why not get a traditional book-bound album made up – we had one done by Snapfish of our honeymoon pictures and it is really nice (and much easier for someone of her age to use).

stumpy01

You can get fairly small screen keyring photo frames that are good for about 100 pics or so.
    A google search should bring them up though….

Not quite sure about the 'album in your bag' idea though. One on the mantelpiece would be a better idea, I reckon (unless she's Mary Poppins?).
    I'd try & view the one you want to buy before you actually part with your cash. My parents have got me one that's hi-res but doesn't have a great viewing angle. The angle it sits at with the supplied stand means you can barely see the pics when sat on the sofa – I've had to prop the stand up to make it more visible.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Whatever you do, beware of things like the one you linked that are widescreen, unless you are providing all the photos, and you take your photos in widescreen aspect ratio (which you probably don't). You get a choice of either chopping off anyone at the edge of the picture, or having ugly black lines at the sides of the picture. Get something that is roughly the same aspect ratio as the camera that you are using. The one you link looks great in their pictures where they cropped everything to perfect size, but will suck with pictures off a normal camera.

I'd think a digital picture frame is complicated enough, I would totally avoid something you have to charge up, and that requires user interaction – the reason picture frames are neat for non technical people is that you can just bung pictures on it when you see them, and they just need to keep it plugged in, there is no need to navigate using fiddly controls or rubbish like that.

Also, the album, whilst they say it weighs the same as an apple, it is 400g (which is a darned big apple, more like 2 or 3 apples in reality), pretty big and thick, plus add the weight of the case , the charger, cable etc. and it only lasts for 3 hours between charges, which is crazy.

Joe

b17
    Free Member

I totally see your point aracer, and I think the others may be writing it off too quickly.

The digital photo frames are nice for at home, but if you can I would go for something a bit bigger.

A lot of people are already carrying around digital photo albums in convenient sizes…. i-phones, and other mobiles with decent screens. I use my phone as an album too.

My mum (early 60's) got a 'media player' from Aldi which is about the size of a mobile, and has a decent screen. I put a bunch of photos on it for her, and she likes to show them at work. She is pretty tech savvy though.

I would suggest such a media player (check out things from Creative) as a portable, and a bigger frame for home.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Seriously – who on earth would want a digital photo album in their handbag? Why not get a traditional book-bound album made up – we had one done by Snapfish of our honeymoon pictures and it is really nice (and much easier for someone of her age to use).

Loads of people. My parents have one and love it, and they can carry a few cheap memory cards with a selection of photos should they wish to show people different things, without ever needing a computer or to go and get new photos bound and carry the book with them. Theirs is about a 4" screen, about 10mm thick, runs off its own battery and comes in a nice leather (possibly fake leather) case.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Must be just me then 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks for the help – ended up going for something which isn't really handbag portable, but has a battery so she can put it in the car to go and show her friends.

krag
    Free Member

Bit late now, but o2 are doing this joggler thing which is a digital photo frame (amongst other things): http://shop.o2.co.uk/joggler

aracer
    Free Member

o2 are doing this joggler thing

For an 80 year old? 😯

dr_death
    Free Member

My Joggler arrived yesterday…. piece of piss to set up, will hold approx. 250 photos and also does google maps, digital radio, youtube, the news and weather and a calender all for 50 squids at the moment…. far better res than any digital photo frame you'd get for the same money and does much more (if your ma has a wireless network!).

Without a wireless network you could pre set it up to run as a photo frame and it would still be cheap as chips as they are reduced at the moment.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Digital photo album’ is closed to new replies.