Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Digital cameras- small, but with enough adjustability?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m after a new camera. Currently I’ve got a small Fuji thing that was about 50 quid that replaced a Canon that had plenty of features. The Fuji has nothing and so I don’t really use it.

My old Canon had the option to change the colour style (Vivid, Dull etc.), and other more obvious adjustments. I’d like something like that, ideally that uses an SD card, that’ll help me get nice shots like this again. Ideally between £100 and £200 but if you’ve got something good (or 2nd hand!) for less to recommend let me know. Must be small enough to take on the bike, though.

Thanks in advance.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Liking my Olympus Tough TG610 here.

I paid £143 from Currys a few weeks ago.

Slow to start but speed is fine when its turned on.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Canon S95. Job done.

I fiound it too diddly and bought a Lumix lx5 but that’s a chunk larger and the lens cap is a fiddle.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

TZ8
    seems about right. I have a tz10 but is £40 more now than when I bought it. not a lot difference between them. really pleased with mine!

druidh
    Free Member

I was gonna recommend something from the TZ range too. I have a TZ7 which I’m very happy with. It was bought primarily on account of its 25mm wide lens setting as I like scenery/panoramas.

Everyone seems to be raving about the Sony HX9V at the moment – can be had for around £200

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had a series of powershots, you could go full manual if you wanted, not sure if that’s what you are after tho.

Now on M4/3 but it gets used less due to bulk…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Full manual is what I want. I like the look of that wee powershot up there.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I love my little Nikon p300 which is now the 310. Great little camera.

CountZero

There’s a Lumix TZ30 on its way, but I think it’ll be well out of your price range. Any of the Lumix range would do, it’s just a question of matching features to your requirements.

TiRed

Looking at the Canon S95 – £229 in John Lewis High Wycombe yesterday. Small and fully manual. Nice ring around the lens for settings. Pity it is a zoom. But seems to tick my boxes.

bwaarp
    Free Member

You can get LX5’s for about 250.

Philby

Another vote for the Lumix TZ range – lots of adjustability and great picture quality. You might get one of the older models – TZ10 or TZ8 – well within your price range.

tangent
    Free Member

I really enjoy using my Olympus XZ-1…and the quality seem to be excellent. It is a compact offering manual controls, and has some nice creative art filters built in too which are fun on a dull day etc. It has a lens cap, however this does not bother me.

When out riding I carry it in a LowePro Apex AW30 bag which give it a decent amount of protection, althought the fit is a little snug so packing / unpacking can be a little slow.

_tom_
    Free Member

Canon S95 for me. Slips in a pocket, does full manual mode without fiddly menus and will shoot in raw. It does have some “picture styles” as well but I only use it in manual as it tends to overexpose everything in the auto modes.

chrisdw
    Free Member

The Olympus Tough range are brilliant cameras. Perfect to just chuck in your pack. Completely waterproof (Taken one kayaking a few times).

Northwind

That’s a gorgeous pic…

I’ve got a TZ7 and tbh I wasn’t at all happy with it for cycling- it’s not small, and it feels like I could twist it in half with my bare hands. It also had pretty poor low-light capability and didn’t like getting cold or damp. Fantastic general camera though.

So I replaced that for cycling with yet another Ixus, and tbh I don’t know why I ever bought anything else. It’s smaller, it’s strong, it’s got about 1/3d the zoom on the downside but it takes better pics on gloomy days etc. Just being more pocketable is worth a lot.

If you fancy a TZ7 after my excellent review, I’ve still got it and I don’t really use it enough to justify keeping it 😉

crispybacon
    Free Member

I’ve got a Canon Powershot 220 & it’s fantastic @ £190.

It can be full manual or full auto. It’s got burst function for action shots plus super slow mo vid too. It’s small & compact and easily fits into my shorts pocket.

I’ve only had it since January so I’m still learning what it can do but I’m pretty pleased by the results so far.

stumpy01

scott_mcavennie2 – Member
    I love my little Nikon p300 which is now the 310. Great little camera.

I’ve got one of these. It’s a pretty good camera; adjustable enough for my needs. Cons so far are:

– it occasionally misses focus, even in good light, which is annoying. Sometimes it misses it by a mile so you see it and shoot again, but just as often it will miss focus by a little bit that isn’t noticeable on the display unless you zoom right in.
    – if you leave the focus to choose the subject, it will quite often completely miss the subject (person in foreground, for example) and focus on a tree in the background. Once you notice this trait, it’s easy to work around, but it can be a pain, initially.

Good bits.
    – it seems very rugged with a metal skin.
    – easy to use controls and menus. No white balance or ISO controls via buttons, but close to top of menu, so very quick to access.
    – good panorama mode
    – fast lens, particularly when shooting wide angle.
    – a good HDR mode that smooths the pic a bit but does get some good results.
    – fairly decent low light performance.

As tangent above, I use a Lowepro Apex pouch to put it in.
    It is a really effective little bag.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Digital cameras- small, but with enough adjustability?’ is closed to new replies.