Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Did I do wrong?
  • warton
    Free Member

My dad died when I was young, and I don’t really have much left of his. A pair of nice gold cufflinks, his old leather chair, his red scarf from Pamplona, a couple of his old cycling jerseys.

I also had a gold rotary watch that was his fathers. It was very old fashioned and not really an expensive or collectable watch, all it did was sit in a drawer. I never wore it, i never would in the future, and it didn’t really mean anything to me (unlike his jerseys, or his chair) so I sold it. got a few hundred quid simply for scrap, price of gold being what it is. I’ve bought some clothes and a nice pair of headphones (I listen to a lot of music) and put a bit in my savings account.

am I a heartless bastard, or did i do the sensible thing. I keep on thinking I’ll regret it, but I don’t know why.

andrewh
    Free Member

Stuff is just stuff.
    Memories are more important.

RealMan
    Free Member

+1, any bad feelings you’re having now and probably just from the wondering if you have done a bad thing. You haven’t.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flip
    Free Member

Nah you did right, my Mrs had a load of gold, platinum and diamond rings that were old.

She had them all melted down and made into her own design rings, they are rad!

Junkyard
    Free Member

i keep heirlooms like that but tbh I know what you mean I have a pocket watch but what will I ever do with it?
    Your call but you still have the stuff that is priceless

dogbert
    Free Member

Im sure your dad would want the best for you and you dont need a gold watch to remember him, the chair and jerseys will help with that……..so no, you didnt do wrong

souldrummer
    Free Member

You seem to have kept what is important to you to remind you of your Dad. I kept one of my Dad’s watches, but I wear it everyday to work so it is used. My Mum also offerred me his Omega but I would never wear that so it has stayed with her.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You did the right thing

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Lost a cheap pocket watch of my granddad’s some years ago. I really miss it.

toys19
    Free Member

It obvioulsy didn’t mean anyhting to you, so no worries.

colnagokid

Im sure he would have wanted you to have something you wanted, needed or would use rather than just keep something because it was his. I know my old man would have.

warton
    Free Member

thanks for all the replies, I know I have done the right thing deep down, but sometimes its hard to let things go, even when they really don’t mean anything…

hilldodger
    Free Member

Music will sound even sweeter through those headphones knowing your dad bought them for you 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

I felt a bit sad after using some of the money I inherited from my grandfather to pay off some debt. It was the sensible thing to do, but still felt a bit odd using money he’d worked really hard for for that.

Cougar

What gives stuff meaning is the meaning that you give it. You had no attachment to the watch, so it’s scrap. Sentimental value is in the head, not the goods. I attach more value to my grandad’s chipped and battered tea mug than anything ‘valuable’ he ever owned; it’s a gentle memory every time I brew up.

Personally, I wish it was easier to sell unwanted goods without getting fleeced.

samuri
    Free Member

Our house is jam packed full with old shite that we never use, look at, utlise or even fondle. It’s all the stuff from my parent in laws. ALl the stuff we got when my dad died, we use. We have a great best tea service set and plenty of nice crockery. I have some books that I still look through every now and again not to mention some of his drawings and I’m a total bore with his old engineering documents.. (Some here if you’re interested – they are very cool).

Anyway, the stuff that’s not useful and doesn’t have massive emotional significance, move it one. Your memories will keep what’s important there.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Samuri, that animation would make a geektastic avatar 😀

Warton, stuff’s simply stuff. Surely he’d rather you were happy and remembered him your own way than keep things which don’t mean anything to you?

As said many times up there ^^, I think it’s just fine.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Did I do wrong?’ is closed to new replies.