Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dialled Alpine on NSMB Readers Rides
  • rs
    Free Member
    longweight
    Free Member

Makes me want mine to arrive 🙁

MrAgreeable

Nice kickstand. 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice, liked that bike when you posted it built up, looks even better now it’s got dirty!

rs
    Free Member

cheers guys, the kickstand is an optional extra but i think Mike only has a limited supply, pretty much the same as when i lasted posted it bar the wheels which i put on a few weeks ago.

mangoridebike

I thought I recognised it – nice one 🙂

Well done for spreading the hardtail word – and Dialled Bikes too ;0

Vortexracing

Rode mine on Wednesday night for the first time. 66sl’s set at 150mm, seems very, very slack compared to what I am used to.

I’ve also got wide bars as well, looks like I need to get used to it as well as a bit of fettling. I was impressed by the way it climbed, i was expecting the front to be lifting at the slightest hint of a climb, but it was very good.

will try it out again this weekend with the forks down a little to see if that makes difference

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, try your forks at 130mm, that feels ideal for me. 150mm is probably best if your riding steep dh courses.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I also think some people buy them and then get confused when it doesnt feel like their XC bike. Its not meant to, its supposed to be slack and short and works best on downhills.

Vortexracing

cheers davidtaylforth, will do.

Also needs a longer stem, I ended up with a 15/21 and i’m running a thomson X4 50mm on it which makes it very short in the TT. got a 65mm Vice stem to try.

did you get any 66’s yet?

rs
    Free Member

vortex, good to hear you finally got out on it, its taken a while! Just find some steeper stuff to ride and the slackness will go away, mine feels great at 140 but i’d like the option to go bigger on the downhills.

Vortexracing

Nice write up BTW rs.

Looks like a nice place to live and ride

Kieron
    Free Member

Took mine out for it’s first spin last Sunday and I was well happy with it.

It’s replaced my 456 which was a bit too long for me really and the 15/21 Alpine fits me like a glove. Ran it with my All mountain 2’s fully wound out (160mm I think) and downhill it was bloody fantastic. Felt really stable at speed and I certainly wasn’t going any slower than I do on the Heckler. Felt really checkable too and really easy to move around which is where I struggled on the 456. Felt really sure footed on a couple of 2 and a half foot drops too, so all in all I’m over the moon with it. Can’t wait to take it over to Hebden and test it out on the slow techy stuff.

Really fun bike 😀 .

rs
    Free Member

cheers, yeah its not a bad place to live 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

did you get any 66’s yet?

Yeh, I got some 150mm ones, the crown doesnt catch the downtube on mine either, even with a lowish stack headset, although there is only about 2mm of clearance.

Any pics of yours?

Vortexracing

seeing as you asked

I think crown caught because it’s short TT and hence the downtube angle is steeper. On-one smoothy plus 5mm works a treat.

Vortexracing

Just come back from a ride round Rivington.

With the forks at 135mm and the 15mm extra on the stem, it was a different bike.

Much better for ‘normal riding’, seems to have speeded the steering up just enough.

It don’t half plough through stuff with those 66’s on the front.

One very happy Alpine owner. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

davidtaylforth:

I also think some people buy them and then get confused when it doesnt feel like their XC bike. Its not meant to….

I do 50+ XC rides on mine and its great!

…but then i am a weirdo 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dialled Alpine on NSMB Readers Rides’ is closed to new replies.