Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Diagnose this wheel problem please
  • Garry_Lager

Hopefully a simple one…

Took the whippet for its first ride tonight (from new) – coming home on the paths the back wheel shit the bed a wee bit. I noticed I couldn’t take a backwards pedal stroke as the cassette wouldn’t turn backwards and the chain would just hang. Filthy night, but get the wheel off and it looks like the freewheel is binding to the axle (if they’re the right words) in one direction can can’t be freely turned by hand. Stick it back on and ride it – feels awful but get it home.

The wheel is one of those on-one xc affairs – never used one before. Is it just a case of the hub being done up too tight maybe and needs the locknuts backed off a bit? Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers.

FOG

I had this problem with a road wheel and it turned out to be locknuts too tight so I guess that would be the 1st thing to try

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Sounds like the freehub bearing has gone stiff,you can strip and clean/regrease the bearing, but its probably best to replace it,also change the seal between the hub itself and freehub if it has one.

sometimes they can free themselves off, but water and crap getting in is usually the first stage of a bearing deteriorating ime,..hth 😕

oh eck…just seen the “from new” bit…bit stumped now 🙄

Garry_Lager

Thanks both. I can’t be ersed dealing with it the noo, so will check it over in the light of day tomorrow. Be disappointed if it’s a bearing problem – the wheel is new.

alexpalacefan

Send it back

APF

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Diagnose this wheel problem please’ is closed to new replies.