Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • DH wheels: converting a 150×12 hub to 142×12. is it possible? How?
  • johnny

Seeking a techie bodge solution.

I’m looking for some cheap DH wheels for my trail bike, to be used on uplift days. My bike has a 142×12 rear bolt through, but i’ve found that most sets of wheels i find second hand with suitably meaty rims, tend to be either 150×12, or pricey.

Are there some 150×12 hubs which can be converted, or are there any suitably ghetto/hacksaw inspired solutions out there…?

greeble
    Free Member

don’t think so.

best bet would be to get a 135mm pro2 with a rim like an ex721 rim on it.
    even if its qr or 12mm it can easily be converted to 142mm

johnny

Yup, have seen a few 721 rim combos around… there are plenty of hope/superstar builds which work and are convertible. i just don’t know why the 150mm hubs can’t be converted the same way? am i missing something?

Northwind

You could possibly get it to fit in the frame, with a bit of machining, but getting the chain and disc alignment right isn’t likely to be so easy.

Greeble’s spot on, 142 rims are still rare but convertible 135s are easier.

greeble
    Free Member

disc/cassette spacing? I’m not sure. I’ve not seen any 150mm hubs that can be taken down to 142mm
    but alot can be taken from 135mm to 142mm

we need another standard to standardise these standards!

I’m not sure but this video will help explain
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/12×142-explained.html

johnny

hmm, thought as much- I guess i’ll have to wait for the right rims on some hope/superstar hubs to turn up… It’s a tad irritationd as there are plenty of 150×12+ 721/729/spank spike/subrosa combos for sub £100 about!

johnny

Aha; from that PB article-

“Whereas 150 mm rear hub spacing requires the use of an 83 mm bottom bracket shell for proper chainline, 12 x 142 mm produces the same chainline as a standard QR rear wheel and works perfectly with any variation of B.B. that you’ll find on modern XC or AM bikes”

i think i might have got my head around it. Ta for the reference!

greeble
    Free Member

no worries glad to help

honourablegeorge

johnny – Member
    Yup, have seen a few 721 rim combos around… there are plenty of hope/superstar builds which work and are convertible. i just don’t know why the 150mm hubs can’t be converted the same way? am i missing something?

142 hubs are 135 hubs with longer end caps.

150mm hubs have a hub body that’s 15mm wider than the 135s. (there’s a wider end-cap version of them which is 157mm)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘DH wheels: converting a 150×12 hub to 142×12. is it possible? How?’ is closed to new replies.