Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Designing a custom 29er – what would you recommend?
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Hi folks

I’m looking to have a Ti custom 29er built as I’ve struggled to find an off the peg one with rack mounts and decent standover clearance. I’ve tried several different 29ers but would be interested to know folks thoughts on what works best for them. My eyes tend to glaze over normally when it comes to fork length, rake etc but as I’m no expert on 29ers, any advice would be greatly appreciated (other than don’t get one, they are the wagon wheeled bike of the freak minority!) 😀 Also, what rigid forks would folk recommend? The Surly’s look great vfm but I have no idea how they ride.

The basic spec I have so far is Ti frame, strong and comfortable, rack mounts to take a child seat and that’s about it. Would you recommend a frame brace a la Cotic Soda 2010 for the disc side? What about frame strengthening gussets etc?

Cheers

Sanny

TooTall
    Free Member

Take the bits you liked from what you tried. Discard the bits you didn’t like. Make up the in-between bits.

ton

ssstu is in the process of waiting for such a frame i think.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Most kiddie seats clamp round the seat tube. Do you really need rack mounts?

Sanny
    Free Member

The rack mounts on the dropouts and the seatstays are a given. The only flat bar 29er I’ve found that might work is the 2011 Karate Monkey but the top tube clearance isn’t great hence the custom option. I was considering just getting a SIR 9 and using it with a trailer instead but there are no dealers in Scotland so that rules the Niner out as Jungle only supply dealers who carry stock. For less money, I can get a custom Ti Burls so it’s hard to say no to the custom option.

letmetalktomark

Crud catcher mounts.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Three top tubes and a built in Frying pan browning the mince.

Lionheart
    Free Member

See if you can chat to Bonesetter, but here is his thread about having one made:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=62371

Turned out well but not as expected, I had a frame made years ago in another life, with a similar experience/outcome. Needs some really good communication/agreement.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I’ve just been through the same process

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/one-of-those-cheap-chi-ti-frames

Drop me a mail

singlespeedstu

ton – Member

ssstu is in the process of waiting for such a frame i think.

Ton.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. 😉

100_1051 on Flickr

No rack mounts though. I’m not that old yet.

kelvin

Karate Monkey doesn’t have enough standover clearance? Really? What size?

firestarter
    Free Member

the karate monkey has very low standover tbh

Sanny
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the medium and large Karate Monkeys. The medium matches my large 5 Spot for top tube length with a LOT of seatpost showing whereas the large is pretty rangy compared to what I’m used to. I fancy custom to get standover of about 31 inches or even a bit less if that’s possible but I guess it will all come down to the numbers!

Lionheart

Can you check that link?

Didn’t take me to the right place.

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Another quick question. For a given size, why do the top tubes on 29ers always seem longer than the 26 equivalent? Is this a given to accommodate the bigger wheels or is it doen to improve handling (dear lord, I’ve turned into a person concerned with geometry….argh! :lol:) Do folk tend to ride with shorter stems to compensate for this?

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Firestarter

That’s a braw looking machine.

Cheers

Sanny

Lionheart
    Free Member

Lost a ‘1’ in the process try this

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=623711

interesting but I like the process / cost of Scholargate’s

firestarter
    Free Member

No idea what braw means lol

For info I also ride a med five spot with an inline post and a 70mm stem and the monkey is a small with an inline post and 90mm stem and the reach on both is identical mate

stever
    Free Member

I’d ask a frame designer, rather than a forum. They’re paid not to glaze over when talking about rake and reach. I’ve seen bikes designed by committee, they can be very bad things 🙂

singlespeedstu

stever – Member

I’d ask a frame designer, rather than a forum.

+1. That’s what you pay them for.

Ring and email a few builders you’ll soon find one you can work with and a few you can’t.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Stever

Yup I’ll be doing that but always interested to hear from STWers and draw on their experience.

Firestarter

Braw – a colloquialism of the scots variant, denotes a favourable apprearance or other positive affirmation. ie sweet ride, dude! 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

Ah rite lol cheers

stever
    Free Member

Oh, I’d be interested in what stw says too. But I wouldn’t listen to a word I’d say for example, utterly opinionated and untrustworthy!

thomthumb
    Free Member

For a given size, why do the top tubes on 29ers always seem longer than the 26 equivalent?

are they? my on ones are the same.

rootes1

I’m looking to have a Ti custom 29er built as I’ve struggled to find an off the peg one with rack mounts and decent standover clearance.

have you spoke to Sam of Singular – he allows for tweaks and requests on the Ti Pegasus frame.

dRjOn

sanny: what braces/reinforcing is needed should be sorted by the builder…as it varies between what tubes are used.

as for top tube lengths…i suspect some of that might have been from the dim and distant past when 29″ers used the same head angles/offsets so that toe overlap was reduced. top tube lengthened out pushes the front centre out too…reducing chance of overlap.

the major differences you will generally find with 29″ers is the chainstays are longer, and you have more bb drop than on a 26″er all else being equal. this increased bb drop gives more stability in general and is why, often, they feel so ace to corner. but it also generally makes them a touch harder to wheelie/hop.

in terms of what geometry you want, it probably has a lot to do with what you want to use the bike for. ive owned various geom’s and they have their strong and weak points. if you want a bike for general riding, but not too steep and gnarly, i would seriously consider giving sam a call at singular. he knows his beans and his bikes are top notch. i dont know where things stand for how much alteration can be done on the ti frames he does. be aware ti *might* end up too flexy with a kid on board as well.

if you want full bhoona custom you either need to start riding lots of them to work out what you like and take that to a builder or trust the builder to work out what you like from the things you like about current and past bikes. then if you want ti, its worth knowing a little about who is using what grade of ti and getting a feel of their skills in working the metal…again, in general, 29ers require more forming to get past tyres and chainrings if you want a decent length stay if done badly in ti, this could be a weak point or offer up minimal clearance.

as a general comment, most 29″ers these days are moving away from steep front ends and using increased fork offset to bring the trail back to a more normal number instead, making the steering less tuck prone on steep trail. downside is that if you dont get reasonably short stays you get a truck like wheelbase for a given reach….

Jerome
    Free Member

I would base it on something you like, otherwise too big a risk you waste a whole load of moeny. I have an Indy Fab 29er based on a well known frame, drop me an e-mail if you want to discuss – l live darn sarf..

tk46hal
    Free Member

Mate of mine built up a Salsa Dos Niner and loves it. Check them out!

AdamM
    Free Member

2011 Surly Karate Monkey has a lower TT for increased standover…

I bought a standard 29er frame recently and the only thing I regret is the lack of a split chainstay or seatstay.
    If I was designing a custom frame now, I’d make it belt drive compatible.

Sanny
    Free Member

Cheers for the info guys. Much appreciated. Lots to think about now!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Designing a custom 29er – what would you recommend?’ is closed to new replies.