Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • depression and counselling
  • xcgb
    Free Member

I have had recent experience of this a year ago

I was terrified of anti depressants but as it turned out it was just what i needed, made me feel worse for a few weeks but then suddenly its like a lightbulb is switched on in your brain and you can see the bigger picture.

I also had CBT and started yoga which i highly recommend (Yoga that is CBT didn’t seem to work for me)

One really important thing to realise is that you can and will get better, it does take time though.

I started a thread some time back if you fancy a long read,one thing it shows is that you are not alone by any means!

Good luck and stay with it

Link

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/depression-why-dont-we-talk-about-it-your-experiences-please

daftvader
    Free Member

So work have come through for me and have sorted out some counselling which starts on thursday. I have been to the dr today and after a brief but frank chat with him he didn’t immediately reach for a prescription. Instead he has sent me towards a new mental healt program called Italk who I will be calling tomorrow as soon as I finish work. Things are still shit some days and great the next but I do feel like, now I hae got off my arse, the light isnt an on comming train……. further information as events warrant.
    Cheers everyone

slackalice
    Free Member

Good man. I’ll be interested to hear how you find Italk.

Life is a sine wave, for me it’s about managing the peaks and troughs as best I can, without living a flat line 🙂

Thoughts are with you DV 8)

daftvader
    Free Member

Cheers slackalice….

footflaps

Well done, sounds like things are starting to move in the right direction!

scaredypants

I’ve heard that italk are sometimes a bit slow in setting things up, so be prepared for a short delay – use it to read some of those books and use the work-based counselling to clarify your thoughts a bit

Well done for seeking help, and good luck

hodge

At the moment I’m in a middle of a 15 session coping skills group based around mindfulness set on a DBT biosocial model. Technical stuff aside this does seem to be the best course of treatment so far, but the old black dog is always nipping at me ankles. For me it will be change what I can, accept what I can’t, learn from the past, enjoy the now and look forward to the future. I cant change what or whom I am but I can learn to cope in a more positive way. Hard work and along slog for me, always and happy to chat and support, just give me a shout

bensales
    Free Member

Disclaimer, I’ve not read anything in the thread other than the original post.

OP: I’ve been where you are. Personally, I didn’t get on with the drug method of treatment, I found it just disguised the problems, rather than removed them.

I had great success with CBT, to the extent that four years on, when I feel the triggers happening, I can run it through again by myself and head the problem off at the pass.

But… everyone is different, and I’ll never say what works for me is the only way to do it. But do it you can, and there are plenty of people around to help.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘depression and counselling’ is closed to new replies.