Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Dentistry charges …. HOW MUCH?!!!
  • Aus
    Free Member

Just returned from the dentist. Saw him last week and he said a filling had chipped on an upper right back tooth (UR6). He drilled out the old filling, popped in a temporary filling, said come back in a week for a permanent filling. £70.

Went back today, drilled out temp filling, said there was decay near the nerve so needs a root canal and crown. I asked if I could have the tooth out and he said not a problem, would talk to me about it once he made the tooth comfortable.

Charged me £171 for today. Wants £620 for the root canal, £620 for the crown or £140 for removal. Frustrated that he charged me so much for today and wouldn't remove the tooth whilst I was there, anaesthetic done, etc.

So, has anyone had similar treatment and are these costs the norm?

And anyone had a rear upper tooth out … experiences?

Ta

thegreatape
    Free Member

And anyone had a rear upper tooth out … experiences?

Check up/X-rays
    Scale and polish
    Two wisdom teeth out

£24

Aus
    Free Member

How come??? … apparently I / my tooth can't be NHS

AdamW
    Free Member

Recently had a filling: £173. The dentist suggested that he wanted to 'take a look' at another tooth (read: another refilling at £173). I had to cancel the day before (after sitting in the surgery for an hour before being sent away last time) and they said I would have a charge of £25 because it was 23 hours before appt.

I told them to stuff it; am now looking to find another dentist!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I don't know. I was amazed when they told me. It's an NHS dentist and it's in Scotland. Does your dentist do NHS and private then?

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Welcome to the land of private medicine. You never see a poor dentist do you.

STATO
    Free Member

Welcome to the land of private medicine

ie. Your free to go and get a quote elsewhere.

Ive had a lot of work done (didnt go to one for quite a while!) and my dentists prices have always been very good, never more than £50-60 for a filling (silver, white filling is more ££). When i needed 2 root canals he referred me to a dental hospital where i got the work done by a NHS specalist for free, only condition was i had to let a student assist (ie. watch). In addition i can get an appointment almost any time and have never waited for more then 5 minutes.

Happy days :0)

mieszko
    Free Member

Last time I went to the dentist I paid about £80 for a root canal, and probably something over £100 for a crown. That was all with NHS. I was quoted once around £500 for a root canal in a private clinic…

Went for a check up 2 months ago, x-rays, scale and polish as well and the total came to around £12.

That was in Edinburgh, Craigmillar Dental Centre.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I spend £550 in total for 4 visits, root canal tx, temp crown and £300 porcilin crown 1 year ago. Seems very steep to me ! Shop around I would say – that seems bloody expensive!

plumber
    Free Member

Try canada – it'll make your eyes water

uplink
    Free Member

NHS all the way for me the charges are capped ['scuse the pun] AFAIK

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1781.aspx?CategoryID=74&SubCategoryID=742

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Dentist fees ? cost an arm and a tooth 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I went to my dentist a while ago & had 2 (two) fillings, he advised me he'd have to take a tooth out so he could fill & save (?) another, at a later date. After I'd had the 2 fillings i went to pay for that days treatment & was told, 'that'll be £325 please'
    I was shaking as I wrote the cheque out, & haven't been back.
    Top of North road in Durham, under the viaduct.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you need to have a tooth removed, don't forget to ask for it back then leave it under your pillow – then you will get a small rebate from the tooth fairy.

epicyclo

All the more reason not to drink sugary drinks etc…

simon_g

NHS all the way for me the charges are capped ['scuse the pun] AFAIK

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1781.aspx?CategoryID=74&SubCategoryID=742

Good luck finding an NHS dentist who'll actually do root canal work – they get the same payment as for doing an extraction but with a huge amount of extra work, which unless done carefully and methodically will have you back to them in pain a short while later.

monsta
    Free Member

Similar situation for me too: went to dentist with 'prices similiar to NHS', was given temp filling, charged £54 and told to come back 3 weeks later. Did so, was told temp filling needed to be removed, and root canal required for squillions of pounds. Got very angry cos didn't see how he thought 'a filling will do' and then three weeks later, 'oh actually mate, you need root canal surgery.' Went to a different, proper NHS dentist and got teeth polished and the filling replaced properly and an aditionally repair for £30. Definately worth shopping around!

uplink
    Free Member

Good luck finding an NHS dentist who'll actually do root canal work

My current one does & the one before that did – I've never had any trouble finding a good NHS dentist
    People just presume they either wont be able to find one or if they do, they'll be crap.
    Call your local PCT & ask them for a list

tonyg2003

To find a NHS dentist go to http://www.nhs.uk/Pages/HomePage.aspx and search.

I went to a local private dentist two years ago and had a crown and some fillings £600 (this is deepest Surrey). Staight away I put myself on the local NHS dentist waiting list and as I got accepted both the crown and the fillings came out (6 months later). I had 2 crowns and a filling done by the NHS guy for £170ish (max single payment). The NHS dentist is in a crappy looking little surgery and he's the grumpiest polish guy on this earth, but he's a bloody good dentist, which is the main thing. His work has been much better than the private dentist. Plus the NHS don't push you for the rip off – dental hygienist polish and clean – in fact they specifically have posters saying that you don't need it.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

A couple years back I took a 2 week holiday in Mexico and had my major dental work done…. All paid for inc the holiday and still cheaper than if I had it done in the UK!!!

TN
    Free Member

Aus, you asked whether anyone'd had an upper rear tooth out and how it went?
    I had the very back one removed about 3 weeks ago because it was still coming through and was causing a lot of nerve pain in my face. The dentist I saw said I would have to give a very good reason for him not to take the tooth out – I just wanted it gone but expected them to refuse to remove a healthy tooth. He said there was no reason from a functional point of view why he could not remove that and the tooth in front of it, if needed, rather than persevering with a tooth that was causing pain.

It was (as dental visits go) and very pleasant experience. Dentist did not over anaesthetise me, no 'knee to the chest' pushing and pulling and the tooth was out very quickly. I went straight back to work and apart from a slight ache the next morning it was fine.

Cost about £45 which surprised me (I am not sure why but I've not had a tooth out for ages and it didn't cost me anything last time because I went to the dental hospital, but it seems that's the standard NHS fee for an extraction)

lodious
    Free Member

Those prices are quite high for the root canal and cap, I think I paid c. £350 for root canal and similar for the cap.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i'm shagging a dentist and i still have to pay!! 😮

5thElefant
    Free Member

Wants £620 for the root canal

I paid that for 2 last year, which took about 6 visits in all.

i'm shagging a dentist and i still have to pay!!

I'd rather pay!

mudshark
    Free Member

I'be not been to a dentist since I was 15 – 23 years ago…saved a fortune I think?!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Dentistry charges …. HOW MUCH?!!!’ is closed to new replies.