Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Delamere Forest
  • gillycoops
    Free Member

Anyone any idea where & when the loggings going to stop? I had a couple of hours around there today & the place is a bloody mess, I see even up by the old hospital end the trees are all marked for felling, its such a shame as a lot of the good stuff was/is up around there.

project
    Free Member

its a tree farm not a mtb farm, the trees where planted to make money, and with the demise or amalgamatiom of the FC, they want as much cash in the bucket as possible.

They will palnt new trees, take about 30 years to grow though.

gillycoops
    Free Member

Slow painters then Chap….

mccett
    Free Member

See it as an opportunity to create new stuff. I’m gonna be all over it come the winter.

gillycoops
    Free Member

True enough, only been hanging out there the last couple of years & had just about got it sussed out & now its getting trashed. Its a working forest I suppose & once this harvest is over I’m sure folks will cut some new trail in.

Whilst at the bike shop the other week they told Me that Rowan Thingymigig had been there looking at putting a trail in & the funds where approved..Be interesting whatever..

steve_b77
    Free Member

AFAIK they’re removing/felling the fir trees and letting the natural deciduous trees flourish and come through.

Also trying to restore a lot of the mosses & meres that were there before the Scandinavian trees were planted. After all Delamere is an old Norse word meaning “land of many meres”.

There’s still plenty of stuff to ride, it’s just knowing where it is, for the time being anyway.

DavidM
    Free Member

De La Mere is of the lake in french innit. There is a lot of trees gone but it should be a good opportunity for new stuff as people are saying. Is there any more to this Mr Sorrel story then?????

gillycoops
    Free Member

My French isnt too hot I know Mere is watery though. I just know Stuart from the bike shop showed him around the forest, it would be a couple of weeks back now. I don’t know any more than that sorry..

GRAEMEJONES

On the little laminated notices that were there a few weeks ago, logging was due to stop on 30th this month according to fc.
    The tracks where the harvesters have been on Hatchmere side have got a lot of potential sweepy , bermy , jumpy opportunities when they settle down a bit (ahem!).Still like riding down a freshly ploughed field at the moment though 😕
    All will come good in the not too distant future I’m sure, with the help of a few months of winter weather on it.

nickingsley
    Free Member

Every 6-12 months there is a spate of posts suggesting that Delamere needs developing with ‘proper’ trails. Me, personally, I’m not a great fan as Delamere’s strong point is miles and miles of great single track. The singletrack is easy to find as it’s all just off the main fire roads. OK it’s a bit ‘dug up’ in places as a result of fc activity but I’m sure in a few months many of the original and some new trails will appear.

If you want laid out trails then Llandegla is hugely improved with the opening of the excellent new black and red sections back to the cafe.

I for one think Delamere should remain a natural fest of cracking little technical trails – ENJOY.

Perhaps Mr Sorrell is working with others to develop a compact area of fixed trials similar to those at Healey Nab
    Anyone have any authoritative knowledge?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Anyone local tried the woods at Pettypool?? Someone’s been out the making trails… Doesn’t look to have been used recently.. But the looks to be a nice few sculpted trails there… Need to head back there without the dogs but with a bike 🙂

nickingsley
    Free Member

Not me, though cycle/run past on the Whitegate Way. Imagine quite a small area and a bit far for the Monday Night Riders. I’ll try and remember to pop in when I next pass Petty Pool cycling the ‘training run’ and check it out.

curlie467
    Free Member

Although it is frustrating seeing some of the good trails being squished, the hospital run cant be ruined because it is up against the perimeter of the forest, the run up to it will change though.
    I see it as a way of getting some good new trails using some of the routes that the digger has been and to be fair, we may not have done those routes otherwise and they may prove pretty good and like said will have berms and maybe jumps due to the depth of the tyre treads of the diggers.
    In my opinion one of, if not the best trail the forest has seen has recently been made so its all good as there are tons of trailbuilders going in there creating new routes so once the felling stops it will get better and better.

Just need mccett to get better and start building! 😀

davedodd
    Free Member

Whilst it’s irritating that some trails are being dug up at the moment, everything goes in cycles at Delamere and as has been said, new stuff will evolve. It’s still easy to get our two hour Monday night rides done without getting anywhere near the felled bits.
    And I hope someone will tell the people trying to get a “built” trail in the forest that it’s just not needed. The forest has superb riding, people just need to put the effort in to find it. It doesn’t need messing with.

nickingsley
    Free Member

Think this needs a detailed discussion on Monday over a glass of red wine 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Well said Dave.. I still love it..

Just wish I could join up again on Monday nights.. Sadly not possible at the minute…

davedodd
    Free Member

Nick,
    That sounds like a plan 🙂

Teeto,
    That’s a shame mate, would be good to have you out again.

davedodd
    Free Member

curlie467
    Free Member

Cant be there as you know on monday to discuss over wine, big shame but lots of work in the evenings!

Have a good time though!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Delamere Forest’ is closed to new replies.