Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • define freeride
  • alpin
    Free Member

was out with a mate earlier for a pootle up the local hill.

me on a dialled alpine and him on his 6″ FS Giant. me a normal bike helmet, him a full face with shin/knee pads. we found a few spots to jump from, riding and flying off the edge and landing a 2-3m downhill. nothing too silly. he wsn’t ‘out’ jumping me and i wasn’t neccessarily out jumping him.

mate starts to refer to everything as freeride. “ah, i love this freeride man”. really just riding, isn’t it?

3-6ft drops aren’t freeride, are they? think matey was surprised that the HT could take it, despite the fact he started on about a 200mm FS…..

where does freeride begin and riding end?

MrNutt
    Free Member

where does freeride begin and riding end?

at the Gnar dude, at the Gnar.

singlespeedstu

Does it really matter?

Like you say it’s all just riding.

No point trying to dress it up.

Smee
    Free Member

Were you hucking your meat? If so, then thats freeride.

thomthumb
    Free Member

it’s only freeride if you describe it terms that your mother wouldn’t understand.

alpin
    Free Member

“we rode up the hill and then back doing some jumps on the way down after getting stoned” nah, she’d understand that. might not be so stoked

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s freeride, your just not very good :p

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Freeride is just riding whatever you come across. If that includes drops, jumps, etc then all well and good but it doesn’t have to … the clues in the name really 😉

singlespeedstu

What?

Your mom rides uphill, downhill, over jumps and get’s stoned.

In that case you’ve got a freeride mom.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its only free ride when you dont pay for it.

jedi

its riding your bike in a non competetive enviorement

mikey74
    Free Member

Freeride = putting no limitations on your riding, and by that I mean, riding up, down, across, jumping, Northshore, drops.

The original definition of freeride was to ride somewhere where there is no pre-defined trail and riding whatever you come across.

carlphillips
    Free Member

3ft hucks..elbry would call that fookin gnar of gnar to the power of gnarly sick freeride mofo whoop whoop barp barp

to me tho its all pissing about on bikes with my mates

djglover
    Free Member

6ft drops on a hardtail, bet there aren’t many on here that do that. Or maybe your ‘freeride’ tape measure needs recalibrating.
    😉

alpin
    Free Member

6ft. with a sloping landing. certainly not onto flat.

djglover
    Free Member

Pics 😉

jedi

loads of hardtail riders do double figure drops

dasnut
    Free Member

about 6 on the rad-o-meter

neil853
    Free Member

ffs 🙄

dasnut
    Free Member

anything below 6 is freeride lite, below 4 is agressive XC and below 2 is jeyboy XC

surely everyone knows this?
    you really should know which pigeon hole you fit in…..

Stu

YOU CAN’T LABEL FREERIDE!!

dasnut
    Free Member

I can, I did, I have NEXT!

nickegg
    Free Member

Surely Freeride doesn’t really make sense when applied to bikes?

I mean, i have been snowboarding since the early 90’s. I remember first seeing the term “Freeride” applied to the quys who were taking freestyle tricks out onto the off-piste areas. With snow you can just about ride where you like, the same can’t really be applied to a bike. Trees, bushes, fallen trees etc would get in the way of just riding along.

Everything we ride on is on a predefined trail of some sort, no?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I always understood freeride – be it biking, skiing, snowboarding – to be ride whatever you want, wherever you want, on whatever you want and wearing whatever you want. In practice you’re more likely to be laughed at by a freerider over your choice of riding style/colour of bike/baggyness of shorts/brand of bash guard etc etc than any other cyclist. Maybe it’s just my unfair perception, but it is based on experience.

I take as much pleasure “freeriding” in lycra as I do overtaking people on the ups in baggy shorts, knee pads and full facer.

GW
    Free Member

don’t think I’ve ever used the word “freeride” other than taking the piss.

😳

upsidedownflyboy
    Free Member

freeriding is a term adopted by the mags and industry to lure in lifestylers to sell more gear, get people hooked on new brands, and encourage people to part with there hard earned cash. it’s worked.

it’s all just riding a bike, the niches are there to make us all think we need more.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

cynical but oh-so-true 🙁

MrAgreeable

its riding your bike in a non competetive enviorement

Except for the Pepsi Max Rampage. And all those competitions where they do rubbish BMX tricks off big bits of scaffolding. 😉

MrAgreeable

Can I also say – to all the “I outrode a full susser on my hardtail/I overtook a downhiller wearing my lycra” people. There’s a new forum rule being introduced, whereby you have to offer independent corroboration (eyewitnesses preferably) that what you did impressed anyone other than yourself. 😉

jedi

mr agreeable, thats not freeride as i said

grumm
    Free Member

To me its from snowboarding, riding off piste and doing jumps, drops and tricks etc – I suppose some of the stuff from mtb videos where there is no distinct trail is kind of similar.

lowey

Riding when not in prison.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘define freeride’ is closed to new replies.