• This topic has 31 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by taka.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Deer Stalking
  • Vader
    Free Member

Does anyone know how much it costs (roughly) for a days deer stalking? I have to say I quite like the idea, although i'm not sure i'd actually want to slot one. The ghillie chappy can do that, although i'm more than happy to eat the spoils.

druidh
    Free Member

Certainly a lot less if you don't actually want to shoot anything.

cinnamon_girl

That is something I would really love to do and one of these days I will 8)

I would happily eat it except it will need to be hung for a bit.

Do let us know if it pans out.

druidh
    Free Member

Do you like all your meat well hung c_g?

cinnamon_girl

Oh yes, oh yes 😉

£150 per day for red and £100 for roe in Scotland.

scaredypants

come to the forest of new – I reckon you could ride up close enough to throttle one during daylight, though a lot more skittish at night

(I think they're only frightened by fast moving things 😥 )

cinnamon_girl

Roe deer are very highly strung. Fallow don't tend to bother too much. Muntjac are a lot smaller but bark when alarmed.

marcus7
    Free Member

Mate of mine does a lot of hunting and its (from what he says) really good, however, if you are a novice then dont expect to roll up and start taking pot shots! they guy you are with will literally call the shots and that means you wont necessarily get a chance. you also will probably have to show you are a good enough shot to get a kill. He reckons the stalking is the bigger part and he loves that part. His first kill was like nothing else he has done (really into all sorts of field sports) purely due to the effort involved. couldn't be bothered me self (just go the butchers!).

Trampus
    Free Member

woof! 😯

cinnamon_girl

I think it would be so interesting to learn how to stalk, crawling around on the ground (in the right colour clothing obviously), observing how the herd goes about their daily business, the hierarchy etc etc.

One of these days …

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The cost will vary hugely depending on type of deer and location. Didn't know you could buy roe stalking. All red deer stalking is in Scotland. c_g's price of £150 could be about right for hinds (possibly at bit low?), but stags would be considerably more. Prices will vary from estate to estate. Stag season is now until 20th October, and hinds from then until 15th Feb.

thegreatape – have you done one of the Highland Safari stalks? They are about 2 miles up the road from us, and Donald who runs it is a top bloke

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Shoot as many of the vermin as you can. they eat everything in sight and are responsible for the tree free wilderness that is the highlands now. More destructive than goats.

shoot 'em!

Yes I know its more complex than that – but the overpopulation of deer is a major factor

thegreatape
    Free Member

I haven't done one, but it's something I've thought about a few times. I'm up in Lochaber and see a lot of deer when I take my dogs out. Never get anywhere near them though, (although I don't suppose the dogs help in that respect).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ, happy for me to kill foxes as well then?

😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – only if you don't chase em around for fun first and only if you can prove they do harm.

So – sneak up on 'em and shoot them with a single shot to kill if they are proven to be doing harm.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And CFH – only if you eat the fox after you kill it. It is morally wrong to kill any animal you are not going to eat.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ever seen Rentokil at work, TJ? They don't eat the rats, you know….

(Hoping I've got the right fly on for a bite this time….. 😉 _

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well they should either eat the rats or leave them alone. Honestly!

Rats make a good fricassee

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ooooh, it's nibbling at the fly……should I play it?

😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nah. Its not very tasty and catching fish is cruel anyway

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No it's not! Trout are yummy! 🙂

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Haven't been stalking in a few years, but I used to do a lot, and was a fully qualified "deer mahanagement hexpert"

The hard to explain thing is, that the kill is only a tiny percentage of the enjoyment of the stalk – and to be honest it takes a certain mindset and its hard to be dispassionate and emotional, especially when you do **** up a shot (and it will happen!)

best sport in the world, on so many levels – you really do need to research and understand the species to become a good stalker, and you cannot but form a love and respect for deer!

As for hunting Charlie boy, I'd suggest you go out and try sneaking up on one and getting a safe shot in rural Northumberland TJ 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes I know its more complex than that – but the overpopulation of deer is a major factor

If only we could have as simplistic a solution to the human overpopulation problem

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats easy DD. We tell flashy and his crew that chavs are the new foxes and let them be hunted

Smee
    Free Member

Stalking Deer for sport and not eating them is something I cant quite agree with, but stalking them to manage their numbers is something I have done. I know a Vegan that works stalking Deer – she loves her job.

Gralloch is a great word too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

On the other hand TJ, we could don camos..none of this silly "pinks" thing that Flash and his likes go on with, get on some jeeps (purely for off-road use don't you know) with mounted machine gun and go rampaging through the countryside taking the landed gentry out. It would solve problems on multiple levels and a bit of the only justified blood sport I can think of.

Smee
    Free Member

Now that sounds like a fun sport. Could we do it on quads or argos though.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Stalking Deer for sport and not eating them is something I cant quite agree with, but stalking them to manage their numbers is something I have done.

Funny, I cant really think that the animal getting 115 grains of lead at 2900fps really is that bothered about motive or who their carcass gets sold to – as long as the shot placement is good for a humane ending, then anything else is merely indulgent anthropomorphism.

(guess what, even the ones shot for sport normally go to the game dealers too)

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

"crawling around on the ground (in the right colour clothing obviously), observing how the herd goes about their daily business, the hierarchy etc etc."

Lol at CG.

Go on a shoot, san-preconceptions, learn what realy happens.

CC.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I got a restraining order last time I went stalking.

taka
    Free Member

mi dads got all of his stalking levels/qualifications end of season stag shooting is the best and cheapest if you go out with some stalkers any your a novice they set the gun up ready for you you dont even have to look through the sights just pull the trigger and bang youve shot a deer i shot one the other day by mistake thought it was a fox 😕 good thing my uncles a butcher :mrgreen: going out in an hour duck and goose flighting

annnnnnnd that about sms up my life story

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Deer Stalking’ is closed to new replies.