Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • decent lightweight 8 speed set up? and other weight loss advice needed………
  • moniex
    Free Member

I’ve just bought my son a Norco bline 24 to use in the alps. It is the 2007 model and near enough new (bargain at 299!)

All is original like this:

http://www.norco.com/2007bikes/templates/model/enlarge.php?id=139&view=&deets=2

but I would like it to loose some weight…

My son is 10 and weighs 4.5 stone, so he won’t break anything. On a budget, so I was thinking some leightweight tubes and tyres (I run some on my hustler and ride the alps ok) and maybe new cassette (as it is really heavy).

Any advice on a lightweight 8 spd set up on a budget!!

Any other weight loss advice??

Thanks
    Simone

br
    Free Member

My son also has a B-Line, and it needed a serious weight loss weighing nearly 38lbs to start with!

Racing Ralph 2.4’s – saved 900g
    Normal inner tubes – saved 800g
    9-speed road cassette – saved 200g
    105 rear mech – saved 80g
    I-Beam seat on post – saved 200g
    Recon air fork – saved 1000g

And originally I also had it fitted with the lightest coils front and back as a part of the deal – as he’s so light.

All in including various other cast-off items and new buys I managed to get it down to just over 30lbs.

nickf
    Free Member

Depends on what you’re intending to do with it.

My son’s the same age and rides the same bike in the Alps as a DH bike. Given the use, I’ve tinkered with a few bits (lighter pedals, carbon bars/post, lighter tubes, different saddle) and ensured that the fork (I’ve got a Nixon) and shock are set for the right weight, but to be honest I’d rather he didn’t puncture, so I’ve kept DH tyres (but the lightest I can find)which I’m running at 12ish psi. Probably taken 3-4lbs out of it, but it’s still heavy.

My lad has no problems on the flats, and even on shortish steep climbs, but given that he’s in a full-face lid and wearing full armour he’s looking to go down rather than up. We just make sure we do lift assist for the first climbs and don’t go mad on the rest of it; he then flies on the DH runs.

He’s got a 14″ On-One Summer Season for for XC duties and jumping things.

moniex
    Free Member

so can i run a 9 speed road cassette on a 8 speed mtb hub??

Simone

coatesy
    Free Member

Yes, but it’ll need a 9 speed shifter to work. 8 speed cassettes are starting to get a bit thin on the ground, with a lot of the higher-end stuff being discontinued, but you can still get certain road cassettes if you want to go that way.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘decent lightweight 8 speed set up? and other weight loss advice needed………’ is closed to new replies.