Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Decaf coffee, can it be as good as proper coffee?
  • rOcKeTdOg

if so, recommend one for the caffetiere

debaser

Hmmm, I don’t reckon so, but I had had no idea how they actually decaffed the stuff until I read this (over a nice cup of proper coffee) just now.

I have no recommendations as such, but I think I’d be looking for some beans like these that haven’t been near any solvents, but at least the widespread use of benzene 😯 in the process has ended.

peterfile
    Free Member

Technically the answer is yes if a suitable process is used, but there is a more practical issue which means that you are less likely to find great quality decaf.

Most of the beans I buy tend to be from smaller roasters (there are so many in the UK that you can pop into a coffee shop/deli and buy beans that were roasted only a day or two ago). I’ll happily drink the Starbucks stuff, however it doesn’t really compare if you can get your hands on better stuff.

Problem is, many/most of these companies won’t produce a decaf, it’s just not cost effective.

So you’re left with the Starbucks stuff. Which is OK, but not great.

Try Whittards, their decaf is OK too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve drunk quite a bit of lovely decaf. Starbucks house blend decaf is nice, and there’s one from waitrose that I really like but I forget – it’s waitrose own though in a blue bag I think.

I’d disagree with the Whittards rec though – their decaf colombian is (or was) not very nice at all, but it’s been a while so they may have something else.

phil.w
    Free Member

however it doesn’t really compare if you can get your hands on better stuff.

so really you’re actually saying you can’t get a decaf version of the coffee you like, not that it decaf cant be good?

is there any reason why a decaf and a normal coffee from the same beans should taste any different?

molgrips
    Free Member

Phil in my experience it does taste slightly different, but still good. Not necessarily ‘worse’ as such.

titusrider
    Free Member

Ive just had a big nesspresso proper coffee and now feel like im having an out of body experiance………

It might have been a bit strong…

peterfile
    Free Member

so really you’re actually saying you can’t get a decaf version of the coffee you like, not that it decaf cant be good?

yeah sorry, i was comparing the quality of normal coffee to starbucks, but I can’t get decaf from those guys (which is a shame, because if they used a high quality separation process, it would be awesome).

phil.w
    Free Member

Cheers Mol, worse is what I meant when I said different. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I’ve only had blends in decaf form, so it’s possible they’ve adjusted the blend to compensate for the decaf-ness.

samuri
    Free Member

One of the reasons I like coffee is because it wakes me up. Does decaff do that then?

molgrips
    Free Member

One of the reasons I like coffee is that it tastes good. One of the reasons I don’t like caffeinated coffee is that I can only drink one or two before I get bad side effects.

You know you can drink normal as well as decaf, depending on if you want waking up or not, don’t you samuri?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

At the risk of cheapening this thread I’d say that Morrison’s own brand instant is one of the best tasting decafs I’ve had.

emsz
    Free Member

I don’t like caffeinated coffee is that I can only drink one or two before I get bad side effects

Really? I drink mad quantities of coffee all day and it has zero effect on me.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No. Similarly, alcohol-free “beer”, fat-free butter and chocolate-free “chocolate”…

Food Nazi nonsense.

Mike-E

No. Similarly, alcohol-free “beer”, fat-free butter and chocolate-free “chocolate”…

Food Nazi nonsense.

What he said.

molgrips
    Free Member

It affects us all in different ways 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Too much caffiene and it go on a killing spree, so better not

ton

no………..i have been on decaf since my heart got bad.
    it is crap. there is not satisfaction after you have drunk it, like there is from proper coffee.

twelveski
    Free Member

One of the first Origin Decaf coffee’s on the UK market and has won loads of awards over the years.
    Percol

rossi46
    Free Member

Decaf coffee, can it be as good as proper coffee?

No.

Decaffinated Cappuchino is the worst- tastes like chemicals! Yeeuurgh!

molgrips
    Free Member

Ton – depends whether or not you like the taste or just want the drug. I’m in the former camp usually.

Rossi46 – not necessarily.

anonymouse
    Free Member

What Woppit said.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

emsz – Member
    I don’t like caffeinated coffee is that I can only drink one or two before I get bad side effects

Try going for about 5 days with no caffeine and then you’ll see what effect it has been having! 🙂

For good decaff i was going to recommend Imperial Teas of Lincoln, but their website appears not to have any – i do know they sell it because i get it from the shop.

Also +1 for the Taylors of Harrogate decaff in a blue packet from Waitrose.

englishbob
    Free Member

Be carefull with decaf. I’ve stopped drinking coffee for a couple of years now but had two cups just before a job interview last week.

It went a bit like the interview scene in Trainspotting. I didn’t get the job 😥

I’d don’t have a caffetiere but I do like the nespresso decaffainato lungo capsules.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Decaf coffee, can it be as good as proper coffee?’ is closed to new replies.