• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Death Maps
  • donald
    Free Member

Cyclist casualty maps of Great Britain 2000 to 2008.

http://citybeast.com/cyclingsafetypage.html

I'm not sure what you can learn from this but it's a start. I think if there was some way to correlate these incidents with the number of cycle journeys on each section of road then you'd get a very good idea of which routes were the most dangerous rather than just the most popular.

Also being able to show the changes in incidents over time would help us work out if things were getting better or worse .

retro83
    Free Member

That's horrible. 4 serious injuries in my tiny village in the last few years and 2 fatalities within a couple of miles 🙁

Garry_Lager

Thanks for posting that donald – fascinating, if morbid.

There's a main road into the university where I work that looks certain to add to those statistics next term when the students are back – One of those roads where residents park their cars on just one side of a road, presumably to allow traffic to pass both ways. Then someone goes ahead and breaks the tacit parking agreement and suddenly you've got the road completely bolloxed by parked cars on both sides – only room for one file of traffic, everyone stopping and starting and students weaving in and out on their bikes. Blackford Hill in Edinburgh for those that know it.

clareymorris

I'm fairly sure that link contains a trojan – steady on when opening it.

clubber
    Free Member

Wow, accident on my road though 7 years ago.

MrAgreeable

That's horrible. 4 serious injuries in my tiny village in the last few years and 2 fatalities within a couple of miles

It's the other way round for me – just 3 fatalities over the past 8 years in my city.

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, was suprised that it's so low in Bristol actually. Is it definitely comprehensive?

warpcow
    Free Member

Interesting, if a bit morbid. 1 death in the village where I grew up, and exactly where I expected it to be.

Is it me, or does it only show motor vehicle related accidents?

clubber
    Free Member

No – I spotted one where a bike fatality had occurred without any other vehicles involved.

nickjb
    Free Member

I was thinking Bristol seems pretty safe considering the number of riders. I'd be wary in Bouremouth

tiger_roach
    Free Member

One near me – would like to know what happened here:

31/12/02 Tuesday 20:24
    Male Going ahead
    No other vehicle

eckinspain
    Free Member

tiger_roach – Member

One near me – would like to know what happened here:

31/12/02 Tuesday 20:24
    Male Going ahead
    No other vehicle

and on New years Eve?

ourmaninthenorth

I'm fairly sure that link contains a trojan – steady on when opening it.

IE started running v slowly when I openend it, and asked me if I wanted to disable a script.

Nothing has shown up via work virus checks.

Any idea what it might have been?

vinnyeh

Interesting map. Clicking at random on London deaths shows more female riders than I would have expected.

D0NK

"male going ahead car" seeing a lot of that altho 1 "male overtaking nearside" hmm…

Was going to say is T_R's example self inflicted or when they didn't catch a driver?

ski
    Free Member
    dmiller
    Free Member

I have found my blue dot! 🙂 Anyone else found themselves?

David.

dmiller
    Free Member

Interesting map. Clicking at random on London deaths shows more female riders than I would have expected.

http://www.movingtargetzine.com/article/8th-female-london-cyclist-killed-by-lorry
    http://www.movingtargetzine.com/article/guardian-story-on-lorry-makes-serious-error

London sounds like death on a stick to be honest.

D0NK

Just found one nearby I remember "male going ahead car" pretty sure they've no idea who or what hit the poor guy

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Death Maps’ is closed to new replies.