Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Deary me…..
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

What's wrong with asking someone their 'first' name?

well my "first" name is Andrew. I don't use it, nor does anybody in my family when talking/referring to me. And it's common practice in the rest of my family to use one's "middle" name.
    Mind you, if you knew what my uncle's 'first' name was, you'd understand 😉

What really pisses me off, though, is people that don't know me call me by my "first" name because that's what they assume I'm known by. Don't assume, it leads to f*ck ups.

Especially those people that are trying to sell me something. "Mr Drummer to you please"

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And it's common practice in the rest of my family to use one's "middle" name.

😕 "middle name" ?

……don't let Slapper hear you call it a "middle name" 😐

.,…it's called a "second christian name" 8)

john_drummer
    Free Member

did I mention that I'm also "agnostic"?

although I was christened in a little CofE church near Leeds, I do not (currently) believe in a god or gods, or sons of gods. So while I technically do have 2 "christian" names, I don't refer to them as such.

They are "forenames" and a "surname" or "family name". Why can't we call them this?

porterclough
    Free Member

Are we really debating this complete non-story?

john_drummer
    Free Member

of course, it's STW 😉

rOcKeTdOg

If it's refered to as "forename" why isn't your last name refered to as "aftname"

tankslapper
    Free Member

John

I too am afflicted with the same issue, I'm known by my middle not first name. Causes all sorts of confusion!

Sorry ernie not middle its 'non-denominational secondary name used as primary title by parents who thought it was somehow useful'

rocketdog: I suppose you couldn't necessarily have a family name if you were adopted?

Who would be a policeman sorry, woman oops! Police Officer Person type thing………..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have a christian name, a middle name (quite poncey one too!) and a third one familiar to Catholics of my generation – a bleedin' Confirmation name!!

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Deary me…..’ is closed to new replies.