• This topic has 47 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Dear Chipps,
  • ro
    Free Member

It's 7 am here and I've only just opened your emal. As you haven't included a 'reply to' address, I'll reply here.

Were I a forum 'owner', the first thing I'd do on receiving a complaint is to check the topic activity listing for said complainant. If I found they're been following one individual around, getting increasingly upset with each post they made, then I think I'd quietly and politely suggest to them that the raison d'etre of a forum is that it contains a wide variety of opinions, and if they didn't open that individuals post they would have no reason to become enraged. It's rather like willfully hitting yourself with a hammer and then complaining to the manufacturer of the hammer about your pain.

If on examination you found the complainant had merely stumbled on a post but was incensed by its inflammatory content, then you have a more difficult decision to make. You have to determine what's inflammatory and what isn't. And I'm happy to abide by your decision on this; it's your forum and your call.

My opinions are predictable to a degree. The language I use in my posts and in my responses to posters is moderate, considered and hopefully amusing. I try to avoid ad hominem responses, though even I find some individuals need a metaphorical slap from time to time. One particular doctor springs to mind…

I hope you'd agree that if a forum is to be vibrant, live and real, a level of righteous indignation emanating from some individuals can only be viewed as A Good Thing. People will learn to live with me, and one day some interesting conversations may emerge. At least I hope they will. And I'm sure you do to.

Kind regards,

Ro

zaskar
    Free Member

Ro, Don't take the forum so seriously.

It's a forum of some nice and not so nice people (mainly nice and funnny, wind you up etc from my experience).

What you just typed will give people ammo to wind you up.

Write to Chipps privately-he'll reply soon enough.

Chipps earlier today:

😉

Seriously if you want sound sensible intelligent conversation topics-don't look on STW unless you are laid back and have a sense of humour with a bullet proof ego. I just chew on carbon fibre personally.

ro
    Free Member

I don't take the forum seriously. I do take Chipps seriously. He has concerns, he's expressed them, I've responded.

You've got to remember that Chipps is primarily a businessman, not your big brother. He operates this forum for sound commercial reasons, and it will remain in operation for as long as it those commercial reasons are not jeopardized. If a poster drives a significant number of people away from a forum without dragging in a whole new group, it loses some of its marketing potential, and that's not good.

So he has a balancing act to perform. Do you censor the new guy in the hope of retaining some forum regulars who find this new approach unacceptable, or do you let the forum drift with the new guy hoping he'll tap into a different group of users?

It's a hard choice.

zaskar
    Free Member

I see your point too. But I predict what will happen is that you eill get moaned at with the rest of forum and I think it is with emailing Chipps rather than discuss it openly here.

I'm sure he won't ignore your emails.

Hope it all goes well.

user-removed
    Free Member

There goes the article 🙁

user-removed
    Free Member

🙂

ro
    Free Member

zaskar:

As certain forum individuals have created this issue by choosing to put pressure on Chipps rather than ignoring my posts and moving on, I think it's entirely appropriate that – in the interests of transparency – forum matters should be discussed in the forum, don't you?

The demographic here is probably reasonably close to the Singletrack purchaser demographic.  So if a style of writing is unpopular here, it's likely to be unpopular in the magazine.  But things evolve…

When I first started reading Singletrack, it was the ONLY articulate, in-your-face, opinionated and stylish mtb magazine out there.  To an extent it changed the market, or rather it gave voice to a certain sector of the market.  And this was good, because these people had something to say and they said it well.  But, of late, it's begun to settle into a comfortable middle age, hasn't it?  The edginess, once so sharp, has dulled perceptibly.  These things happen when you become too comfortable, less inclined to push the boundaries..

My style of writing represents an opportunity to peer into the abyss of change, too see whether there is anything of substance there to interest you, the reader.  Maybe there's isn't, in which case my posts will soon have a response rate of zero.  But if it doesn't go that way, if being strongly opinionated – passionate almost – represents a writing style some find interesting, then leave it be see where it takes you.

Sometimes in life you have to make a choice.  And whatever Chipps does next, he can't ignore the fact he's making a choice which reflects not only policy on this forum, but which indicates the direction Singletrack magazine is taking.

I'm as interested as you in the outcome.

Woody
    Free Member

The language I use in my posts and in my responses to posters is moderate, considered and hopefully amusing.

Amusing is not a word which can readily be applied to any of your posts. Not that my opinion, or anyone elses for that matter, is of the slightest interest to you. You seem to view this site as a playground to prove your 'superior intellect', however, most of your posts are dull, inflammatory, rather predictable now (in a very short space of time) and designed to pander to your enormous ego.

TooTall
    Free Member

A rather egotistical view of oneself – especially to think that your 'writing' is anything other than than wanting to raise an argument. Most of your postings have had nothing to do with mountain biking and yet you perpetuate with your 'raging against something'. To what end? I'm sure you are not doing this for the good of STW magazine or to increase your own knowledge of the sport we all enjoy – indeed you have strongly hinted at your own limited future here and an intent to raise hell however you can.
    It baffles me.

rOcKeTdOg

Were I a forum 'owner[/b]

You're not, Mark and Chipps are, end of thread

spooky_b329

As you haven't included a 'reply to' address, I'll reply here

Does your email browser not have a 'Reply' button?!

ro
    Free Member

indeed it does. but why would i press it when the footer to an email reads:

Please do not reply to this message as it will not be received.

adeward
    Free Member

reading anything ro has written is like driving past a car crash you know you shouldnt look , but just have to take a peek,,, then instantly regret it

i'm sure he will get bored of us soon and go off into t'interent and find another forum to impart his knowledge on

spooky_b329

There is a link on every page… http://www.singletrackworld.com/singletrack/contact-us/

Thread closed, goodbye 🙂

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Attention whore.

Stoner
    Free Member

What Swift said.

And it's not like we havent got enough of them in here already.
    Cant we have a quota system or something? TJ on Monday's and thursdays, Ton on Tuesdays and Fridays, ro on Weds and Sat, and on Sunday god can rest.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

ro – all the best posters get complaints made against them and end up getting banned. Place is full of thousands of uptight people with around a dozen decent folk on it at the very most.

Drac

Ro it was me that reported you from your infamous donation thread and your attitude on their. Combined with your many other troll like posts and general attitude you have nothing but a negative attitude on this forum deliberating stirring responses. This very thread you've started us evidence enough, you have chipps' contact details after all you've posted that you've discussed writing an article with him.

They seemed to have given you a chance yet you continue you childish behaviour. All you had to do was be sensible listen to their requests but it's impossible for you to do that. Your do much like our other troublesome forum dweller of days gone, for now, talkmeda.

bullheart
    Free Member

… and hopefully amusing

This, I fear, may be the problem.

Honestly? I have no issue with you ro. You're obviously a smart fella with values and an opinion. But every post appears bitter and a smiley at the end fails to alleviate that.

Chipps is a good bloke though. I'm not sure an open response on here will aid your cause, but I'm sure the STW admin team will find a solution.

yunki
    Free Member

Is ro the only supercilious and acerbic clown on here?
    Should we complain to the teacher every time?
    Apart from his one or two distasteful remarks on a sensitive thread ro has kept himself to himself and doesn't jump onto others threads with his caustic wit.. (which is more than can be said for alot of the folk with comedic leanings on here)

He has a different conversational style to some of the guys here and his banter is more intelligent and involving and so I understand that an angry mob has gathered and are wanting to move in for the kill.. but really!?

rOcKeTdOg

Says obi_twa, member for one week 🙄

backhander
    Free Member

Wow.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Will someone please deactivate Drac's Report Post button, or at the very least take it away for a service.

Rocketdog – that's one of the funniest things i've read in a while.

Drac

Why obi I've only ever reported a handful of posts and maybe one or two users, all that in 9 years are so. The report post is there for a reason or it wouldn't be there.

wwaswas

ro has kept himself to himself

*splutters*

not wanting him banned but ro needs to understand that he has to moderate his somewhat grating approach himself because it does cause problems.

alex222
    Free Member

if being strongly opinionated – passionate almost – represents a writing style some find interesting

Go and write an article then, instead of trying to be smarter then everyone else. I knew you didn't have the bottle to write an article that may get turned down. So instead you write silly forum posts for instant gratification.

trout
    Free Member

not wanting him banned but ro needs to understand that he has to moderate his somewhat grating approach himself because it does cause problems.

WHY

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Drac – thanks for presenting me with the opportunity to use a unique double positive – aye right. You are always gurning because people have upset you. A lesson you need to learn is that just because you dont agree with someone it doesnt mean that they are wrong.

spooky_b329

ro has kept himself to himself and doesn't jump onto others threads with his caustic wit.

I take it you haven't tried to post anything related to brakes recently?!

Of Ro's last 10 topics, 7 have been purely to bait other forum users. Not really contributing in a positive manner!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What Swift said.

And it's not like we havent got enough of them in here already.
    Cant we have a quota system or something? TJ on Monday's and thursdays, Ton on Tuesdays and Fridays, ro on Weds and Sat, and on Sunday god can rest.

PMSL! :d

+1 for Drac and Petesgaff as well. 🙂

Drac

What the hell are you on about now? Can you please provide evidence of your claim of me always "gurninng" yes I often defend my view but I also accept others have different views.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Banter: Supple term used to describe activities or chat that is playful, intelligent and original. Banter is something you either posses or lack, there is no middle ground.

Why do post have to be constructive or benefit someone in some way?

rOcKeTdOg

Obi's posts are getting very similar to ro's….hmm makes you wonder

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

My style of writing represents an opportunity to peer into the abyss of change, too see whether there is anything of substance there to interest you, the reader. Maybe there's isn't, in which case my posts will soon have a response rate of zero.

No, attention doesn't equal interest. I think you may be suffering from deep self-delusion. It is possible that you see yourself as an acerbic outsider casting barbs from on high. Sadly you are more like a bluebottle at a picnic: whilst some may respect your right to life, most are content to try and swat you to stop you vomiting on the food.

But, of late, it's begun to settle into a comfortable middle age, hasn't it?

As opposed to a bitter and lonely mid-life crisis coupled with a desperate search for meaning? However, I don't think you quite got Singletrack 'right'; it still divides its readers (the rock-climbing article was just as divisive as the pedal cars, as samuri's drop of water etc) and it is striving to find new angles on things despite being bound by the expectations of the newstand audience. Which is fairly obvious, I would have thought. That is, of course, if you have ever read the magazine and aren't just lashing out at yet another newly perceived 'target'.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Drac – aye right. I am not going to give you direct quotes but lets just say that i've been here long enough to know what you're all about.

Rocketdog – nope.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Obi's posts are getting very similar to ro's….hmm makes you wonder

..made me wonder too. Mind you, the tinternet is a wonderful, magical place where even imaginary friends can be summoned into existence.

alex222
    Free Member

Its not banter though is it. It is niether playful, intelligent or origional.

khani
    Free Member

Apart from the sharki thread, for which he served his time, I've not seen anything offensive from ro, challenging and attention seeking maybe but not seen anything openly offensive so this being England and free speech and all that, live and let live I reckon or did we lose the war and nick Griffin win the election and we all have to conform to the norm now for fear of punishment and ridicule

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Seems pretty playful and original to me. And dare I say that if I wasnt a member of mensa then it might be pretty intelligent too.

julianwilson
    Free Member

As you haven't included a 'reply to' address, I'll reply here.

Like he is the scarlet pimpernel of the online cycling community! 😆

I *think* you could have tried chippsATsingletrackworld.com. But keep it on the down-low, perhaps he doensn't want folk to know, its not like it's in the magazine every issue and his forum profile or anything…

Ah well, if he's that bothered he'll have threads closed/deleted etc.

Nice double positive above btw. ^^ 🙂 I learned something new today and its only eight o'clock.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Dear Chipps,’ is closed to new replies.