Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dean Titanium?
  • Gordymac
    Free Member

Hi thinking of streamlining the fleet so

Anyone got a Dean colonel? What do they ride like? Would it do as an only bike?

Gordymac

BigDummy
    Free Member

Would it do as an only bike?

Yes, until you buy another bike. This is an iron law. 🙂

Norton
    Free Member

Owned a Dean Scout for a couple of years – beautifully made and at the time (2004) very reasonably priced for US built Ti, but it didn't have the "magical" ride quality all the mag articles led me to expect from Ti – in fact it was pretty stiff and rode pretty much like an alu frame. I have ridden other Ti frames that do have that elusive all day ride quality though.

Gruenermoench
    Free Member

I bought a DEAN Colonel X-Lite back in 2004. The frame was very well built, and the welds were as good as any of the other boutique builders out there, Moots included. However, the ride quality was poor and the frame felt very flexy (especially around the bottom bracket under heavy pedaling)due to the fact that the front triangle was constructed out of butted tubing. I ended up selling the frame to an Italian guy who weighed 2 stone less than me (I weigh 12 stone) and he had no problems whatsoever.

I'd have no problems ordering another DEAN, they are great value for money, i'd just be sure to order a standard model with straight gauge tubing for that proper Ti springy ride feel.

psling
    Free Member

Anyone got a Dean colonel?

Yes. In SS specific build, manufactured for me in 2003.

What do they ride like?

The rear triangle is built pretty stiff (as Norton says). It is a beatifully made frame and the stiff back end suits my single speed needs. It's not built flexi-light but can still be built up fast if required [fast is outside my capabilities!]

Sorry, don't understand the question… 8)

IMO Dean make some of the nicest frames out there. I just happen to have two of them 😀 They are a good company to deal with but are notoriously famous for not meeting delivery dates. Stupid thing is, their actual delivery dates are quite reasonable, it's just that they tell you, for example, 4 weeks when in reality it'll take, say, 12 weeks! The guys that work there are cyclists and I believe that comes across in their work. I also have an old Litespeed and an IF, both of which ride differently. The Deans are up there with IF in build quality.

EDIT: having just read post above, mine is NOT the x-lite. I weigh over 15 stone 😕

Gordymac
    Free Member

Ok currently i have a Turner 5spot which is a fantastic ride and a Chromag Samurai which is also a fantastic ride in a different steel hardtail way.

So what im asking is would getting a Dean colonel be a good substitute/ compromise over both the Turner & Chromag or would i be as wel sticking with waht i've got? Does that make sense?

Having never really ridden a ti bike do they offer the magical ride that they are marketed to have?

have ridden other Ti frames that do have that elusive all day ride quality though.
    Norton, Which ones?

Gordymac

psling
    Free Member

So what im asking is would getting a Dean colonel be a good substitute/ compromise over both the Turner & Chromag or would i be as wel sticking with waht i've got? Does that make sense?

Yes, makes sense. I was answering the 'only bike' question tongue-in-cheek because I've got so many bl00dy bikes! I wouldn't want to compare the Colonel with the 5spot. They are totally different rides and if you love the ride of the 5spot then I would think the hardtail Colonel will not be a single bike alternative.

The magical ride isn't just down to the material, it's how that material is worked and put together. My steel old skool Orange P7 is a more comfortable all day ride than any of my ti bikes. Unless you prefer hardtails, I can't see any being better as a single bike than the Turner (which is a great bike!).

Not a lot of help really, am I 😕

Norton
    Free Member

have ridden other Ti frames that do have that elusive all day ride quality though.
    Norton, Which ones?

Spent the majority of my riding time in last year on a 26 wheel Matt Chester Ti s/s which really does give that "legendary" springy, responsive, all day comfort ride. Radically different ride feel from the Dean, but I guess different geometry too

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dean Titanium?’ is closed to new replies.