• This topic has 60 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Dealing with joe public.
  • Mikeypies
    Free Member

Project you are combining 2 issued into one

buying trade or retail and registering cars under a name rather than the company are totally different

Mikeypies
    Free Member

I used to work for Brown Brothers, I don’t think I’m missing the point at all.

so you used to work for a distributor, you are still mixing up 2 issues

discounts for bulk purchasing are one thing and is normal,

What is wrong is charging the customer an inflated price ,the so called retail which nobody pays.
    You can walk into a car factors and get them at the so called trade price the garage is having a laugh

alanl
    Free Member

What no-one has brought up is that trade sales are not covered by the usual consumer laws. That can mean there is no warranty at all on things you buy, and generally, means that if you buy excess stock, you get charged 20% or so to take the bits back, something that most consumers would not tolerate if they got 4 pairs of socks from M+S, then decided to take them back.

They are also there to deal quickly with people who know what they want, rather than explaining to Joe Public the parts they require, and what they look like etc.

Basically, Trade Counters are sparse, poor customer relations shops, which is fine, as the people using it know exactly what they require, and dont want to pay for a personal advisor’ to tell them which brick/pipe/cable to buy.
    Alan.

donsimon
    Free Member

so you used to work for a distributor, you are still mixing up 2 issues

Trust me, I’m not mixing anything up.
    The independant garage can charge what they want and you can pay what you want to pay, I don’t see your beef.

donsimon
    Free Member

Basically, Trade Counters are sparse, poor customer relations shops,

I like this, I wish I had thought of that earlier today. 😈

Why do you think I’m a prick mr tagger?

donsimon
    Free Member

I would like to take the opportunituy to apologise to the person that I have insulted in this thread, but having re-read my comments I fail to see anything that could be considered an insult except the use of the words ‘nob’ and ‘prick’. The moderators have informed of the error of my ways and when I can see the error of my ways I will modify my behaviour.
    I also apologise for doing whatever I have done to a sufficient level that a cowardly tagger thinks that I deserve the tag ‘don’s a prick’.

ton

alan has it the nail on the head.
    and as from monday anyone who comes in and their opening comment is ‘i am after a bit of advice’, is gonna get ejected sharpish…… 😈

Mikeypies
    Free Member

What no-one has brought up is that trade sales are not covered by the usual consumer laws.

I alluded to the above earlier

oh by the way Im not the tagger just incase figers are being pointed

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Oh and I have no beef either , :-)chickens and bees yes but no beef 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

oh by the way Im not the tagger just incase figers are being pointed

I would hope not, a debate is a debate. There wouldn’t actually be enough space if I tagged everyone I thought to be a prick… 😀
    I am, however, struggling to see anything that could be construed as an insult though, but there you go, there are sad **** everywhere. 😉

transporter13
    Free Member

just in case fingers are being pointed…im not the tagger either.

aracer
    Free Member

As a lurker on this thread I thought I should mention that I’m not the tagger either, just to clear up any confusion there might have been.

konabunny
    Free Member

A well known driving school co,mapny used or still does register individuals cars in the drivers name, as opposed to the school car,

I thought the big driving schools were all franchises anyway? I would have assumed the individual instructors were sole traders to begin with.

samuri
    Free Member

The public are all bellends. It’s bad enough having to interact with them when I don’t need to. Having to involve myself with them to earn money would have me reaching for a weapon.

How can anyone who deals with the public not hate the human race?

FeeFoo
    Free Member
    konabunny
    Free Member

Edit: and in any case, the manufacturer’s warranty on cars (as far as I can remember) usually excludes/restricts cars used as driving school cars anyway, reagrdless of who formally owns – or keeps – them. And you would have thought the extra pedals would be a giveaway.

sturmey
    Free Member

Surely not all trades people know everything about their trade? They weren’t born knowing all aspects, and when new products arrive they must surely need to sometimes ask how it works what goes with what ect. I work in a job that requires me to use plumbing, electrical, heating, cooling and mechanical skills and because of customer requirements or requests this leads me to have to ask the relevant trade counters for their assistance in what products are best suited for the application. So far I have not had a problem when asking advice and long may it continue, i’m just trying to do a job. As for trade prices, if you are not the end user of the product then you ought to be able to get a discounted price.

convert

The public are all bellends. It’s bad enough having to interact with them when I don’t need to. Having to involve myself with them to earn money would have me reaching for a weapon.

We are all “the public” most of the time. Are we all bellends, including your good self?

On topic – my father set himself up a little company when building a house as a post retirement project (he was a dentist) to get access to trade prices. Seemed to work. Also I know someone who set himself up a little company to service his (and our) bike component needs – has/had accounts with maddison and the like so it can be done.

konabunny
    Free Member

Are we all bellends, including your good self?

I know I am.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Sometimes it is us punters who drive people in trades to try different solutions, and different ideas. Plumbers and electricians we have had in have tried installing various bits of kit for the first time ever at our place. So if I want any electrical stuff I’ll always go to a trade outlet after doing some research. I never make a fuss or ask silly questions. If I choose the wrong thing, I don’t try and take it back. It’s cheaper, and they often deliver very quickly.

I’ve also found myself in the position of making good screw-ups by various trades. So don’t treat all of us like muppets. We will buy off someone else. For anything big, or anything which needs to look right, I am not going to leave it to someone else to choose/purchase the item.

Olly
    Free Member

Where do you stand on tradespeople buying stuff at the weekend to do up their own houses?

seriously.
    they are “joe public” then surely?

Money obviously!
    If i go to the trade point counter, i can get a drill bit for £2
    THE SAME drill bit in the shop is £17!

Where is your trade counter? i would like to avoid it and take my custom elsewhere.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Dealing with joe public.’ is closed to new replies.