Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Darkside, retro possibly for sale, advice needed..
  • Mugboo

I,ve got an Ellis Briggs columbus steel road bike circa 1980 in cherry metallic with chrome forks and stays. After much polishing it looks superb although has lots of marks from use.

I thought i would use for commuting but fast as it is i prefer my mountain bike.

I've spent at least £200 getting it road worthy
    New sprockets
    Chain
    8spd cassette
    Rear mech
    All these are Tourney/Sora spech
    New Shimano R550 wheels with Schwalbe Marathon tyres
    Original Campagnola seatpost off Ebay as i had to cut the old one out.

The bikes original spec is all good quality Campag/Shimano/Cinelli/Stronglite with Shimano 600/Mavic GP4 rims.

So the question is do i remove the new low spec parts and sell these seperately. Offering the bike for sale with the original wheels minus a chain/sprockets and cassette or sell it as the cool commuter it is and sell the sprint wheels ?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3428/3365580503_aff98f51b7_b.jpg

woffle
    Free Member

If I were you I'd strip it back to the F&F and stick it on ebay / CTC / lfgss and then flog the parts separately – more of a PITA but I think you'd struggle to make your money back + much more if you sold complete as it stands…

cynic-al
    Free Member

sorry but bikes or frames like this are ten a penny on eBay. Do a search.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

depends on the bits, 8s stuff isn't worth much, so depends if you can be bothered taking it appart for the minimal extra cash. I'd probably expect it to get upto £200on ebay though as it is, £150 is average for some completely FUBAR'ed examples!

I'd sell it complete with as many original bits as possible, then sell the r-550's seperate, but you'd be lucky getting over £35-£50 for them.

Are the wheels screw freewheel type or cassette with a locking ring? Just asking as ive an old 6speed from that era i want to singlespeed and its a freehub-hub not a screw on 🙁

Mugboo

The original wheels take a modern cassette and are tubelar type rims

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Darkside, retro possibly for sale, advice needed..’ is closed to new replies.