Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Dark Side Tyres – I know nothing – Can you help?
  • sam_underhill

I’ve got a borrowed road bike (GT series 2) which I’m going to use for a sprint Triathlon in 6 weeks time. The tyres on it look like they’ve got a hefty tread pattern once you get off the centre line.

Should I be looking for something completely slick to replace these with? I think I want reasonable puncture resistance as well. I don’t want to loose out to my friends who I’m racing against due to a flat.

Anything else I need to think about?

warton
    Free Member

Continental road bike tyres are probaly what you want, probably GP4000s?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

They’re all much the same. Get some 23mm slicks at a price that suits. You don’t need any tread at all, but try finding some without any …

Puncture protection will be heavy. At risk of jinxing you, punctures are rare on the road if you don’t ride in the gutter.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What tyres are on there?

Speed more opr less = light weight for road tyres – no one races wit hpuncture proof tyres. 200gm is a good benchmark fo decent tyres, I guess that would be £20 a tyre or so?

sam_underhill

light weight slicks it is then.

ta.

DrP

For fear of breaking from the norm…will having lightweight tires really affect your performance?
    The reason for asking is that the continental gatorskin tires may weigh a bit more, but are hard as ****! I substituted ‘light weight’ for ‘ toughness’ as ride my road bikes on all roads, to and from work. Ice literally pulled chunks of glass out of the tyre, without a puncture!
    Think about it!

DrP

nedrapier

will having lightweight tires really affect your performance?

Nice story here about Time Trialing on a Pashley Guvnor. Badass berm action pic, too!

http://www.guvnorownersclub.com/founders-notes/guvnor/blast-from-the-past/

uplink
    Free Member

Those Conti GP4000s tyres certainly feel fast and stable, puncture free for a good while now too

not too bad at £50/pr either

fisha
    Free Member

That picture is amazing.

trickydisco
    Free Member

schwalbe Ultremo’s.. these baby’s are very fast

£22 from je james as well

sam_underhill

Thanks all, plenty of food for thought.

edhornby

fifty quid gets a pair of michelin prorace3 from merlin

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Dark Side Tyres – I know nothing – Can you help?’ is closed to new replies.