Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dark Peak Mountain Bike Challenge 2009
  • kona_uk
    Free Member

Anyone done or doing this event ?

I see they have 3 routes….just wondering if its worth having a go…

barca
    Free Member

£30! Cripes! Maybe it's because they're local to me and fully available all year round that makes it seem very expensive to me but in a word, no, I won't be participating.
    I am aware of my own double standards though having paid a similar amount to do the SDW Randonee to BHF.
    Maybe that's it though. Those who don't know the routes will pay it?

Kramer
    Free Member

I might be tempted.

theflatboy
    Free Member

when is it?

theflatboy
    Free Member

oh yep, cheers. may do, will see about drumming up some support.

kona_uk
    Free Member

Any one know what the routes are like….?

I am thinking of doing the advanced route, approx 23 miles

barca
    Free Member

Hilly and rocky. Not being trite but that's what the Dark Peak is with some peat type bogs thrown in if it rains a bit before the day.
    I'd say that anybody who rides a few times per week could make their way around 23 mile Peak route. Even if you went for the bigger ride and bailed, it's easy enough to find your way back to Edale although there may be a hill of fair distinction in between you and the car park.
    I'm reading between the lines and I reckon the intermediate route could be out of Edale to Jacobs Ladder. Then South Head to Roych Clough, round to Mam Nick and then across to Dirtlow Rake and Pindale then Roman Road to Hope Cross with Jaggers Clough back to Edale.
    If that's the case, then my money is on the hard route doing the same with a descent from Hope Cross to the A57, across the road and over to Lockerbrook, Fairholmes and up to Whinstone Lee Tor. Then across Yorkshire Bridge and back to Hope Cross and then down to Edale via Jaggers.
    I'm not sure on the mileage though, I suspect it would be more than they say it is so maybe I'm typing out of my arse?

Kramer
    Free Member

barca, I'm with you on the routes. I reckon the easy route will be Hollin's Cross, Rushup Edge, Roych Clough, Mt Famine, and then down Jacob's Ladder. Seems a bit tough for an easy route, but there isn't any easy bridleway around there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dark Peak Mountain Bike Challenge 2009’ is closed to new replies.