Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Dangerous workers
  • bruneep

Why we need H&S to protect them form their own stupidity.

igm

Nah – that’s why we need Darwin; so the next generation are slightly less stupid.

maccruiskeen

Looks more like one doozer of a stag weekend to me

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    timber

thank-god I’m not incriminated in any of those, hoped to gain some pointers even, but nothing new 🙂

highclimber
    Free Member

you couldnt make some of them up!

atlaz
    Free Member

I saw someone cleaning the windows of a hotel in Tunis standing on the outside window sill on the 10th floor without a rope or anything. Pretty much everything I’ve seen on articles like that seems reasonable by comparison.

samuri
    Free Member

Holy Crap!

Cougar

You’ve all seen the video of the guy climbing the aerial mast, yes?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4Xk1mEwmI[/video]

bedmaker

😆 😆

roger_mellie

That mast video has made me feel quite unwell.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The guy at the firing range is probably the safest in the link. Idiots like that are the reason we’re not allowed to use a kick stool without a standby-man.

grum
    Free Member

Good that he’s got someone to hold the bottom ladder in order to make it safe.

CountZero

Wonderful, just think of it as evolution in action. Nature’s way of culling the terminally stupid. Everytime one kicks it, the overall intelligence of the human race goes up by a minute fraction of a percent.

molgrips
    Free Member

Someone please post up the pic of the man standing on a forklift being lifted by another forklift?

EDIT: oh, it’s on that list:

uphillcursing
    Free Member

No..unable to watch that mast video. Its not for real is it? No safety rope?

Liftman

Theres no safety rope because if you fell off there is no possibility of rescue at that height.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

No safety rope because he’s an idiot. Yes safety gear slows you down but at least you have a fighting chance of self recovery in a fall.

tazzymtb

I’ve seen a lot worse in many UK industrial sites

yossarian
    Free Member

+1 for tazzymtb

The risks taken at British refineries, particularly when there’s been a problem that’s postponed production and is costing money, are horrendous.

wrecker
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mClQxVvA0ic&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

bikebouy
    Free Member

That last vid should be in the Grow Up thread.. hilarious.

maccruiskeen

Nothing wrong with that – he’s wearing Hi Viz. Safe as houses.

br
    Free Member

My dad ran a car factory and one day as he walked around he found a guy inside the cardboard compactor, with the safety button ‘overridden’ pushing the cardboard in.

Guy – it takes too long by itself
    Dad – do I pay you by the job or for the day?

DezB
    Free Member

I still haven’t got over this trusting wife!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M7mr7CK7zEk[/video]

Then there’s those Empire State Building workers

from here

D0NK

how many are shopped? I’d assumed the fork lift one was

nobody is that stupid right?…..right?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

To be fair, a lot of those situations are cos the employers are scumbaygs and don’t issue the proper safety equipment to their workers who cannot afford to provide their own.

This is rife throughout the bicycle manufacturing industry (and many, many others) btw…

NewRetroTom

When I worked in an office on Rose Street in Edinburgh there was a guy who used to come and clean the windows of the Travelodge opposite.

Here

His technique was to climb out of a 3rd floor window and then traverse the building on the 3 inch wide ledge stepping up onto the windowsills to reach up the windows. He even went round the corners of the building where there was nothing for his hands at all!

It was compelling viewing as everyone expected him to splat onto the tables outside the bar below at some point.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Yep, me too! Remember when I started work as a teen, the boss said to me “most of the job is just common sense, but you’d be surprised how many people lack any at all”. Over the years, I’ve worked in or had to visit, so many potentially dangerous work environments, and some of the stuff I’ve seen beggars belief.

(latest was a 14 tonne excavator working 10cm from the edge of a sheer sided 3 metre deep unsupported hole in soft ground – with 3 guys working in the bottom of the hole, and bits of the top edge of the side falling in!!…(site supervisor just watched completely oblivious….t**t!))

IME, most of the people that come up with the ‘Health & Safety gone mad’ comments work in nice safe office type environments, and have no appreciation of how bl**din’ thick some people are.

GrahamS

Pah! You want to see the German forklift drivers:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVssz2VMJVM[/video]

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

That mast video has made me feel quite unwell.

I feel sick.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Strewth, there’s two scenes in the German forklift vid that remind of a couple of ‘amusing’ (er…not for the persons involved!) incidents that I’ve seen 😕 Bloke wandering about in shock with a piece of industrial sawblade sticking put of his forehead, and (one of my all time favourites) the time when my boss took his hard hat off for a couple of seconds to scratch his head, then with hat off, turned round and smacked his head on a steel girder and decked himself – oh, and the foreman had warned him to watch his head on low girders about 30 seconds before 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Dangerous workers’ is closed to new replies.