Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Dangerous Drivers – ever worth complaining?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

…and if so,

to their face ,

or to the Police…?

kerv
    Free Member

No and definitely no

rkk01
    Free Member

That’s pretty emphatic…!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Yes and to the Police if you consider their actions to be that reckless/dangerous or a puposeful act. You may end up preventing someone a serious injury or worse still a death. Dont get involved in any actions that could lead to road rage/confrontation. Many forces will send out a questionaire type form for you to fill in. It may be there there are other reports concerning the same vehicle that will add to any evidence.

smell_it
    Free Member

IME no, no and no.

rkk01
    Free Member

You may end up preventing someone a serious injury or worse still a death

Well that’s the way I was looking at it…

Wasn’t sure whether to knock on the guy’s door or just report.

ampthill

suprising amnount of support for reckless drivers!

Suggsey
    Free Member

In my experience repeated dangerous drivers tend to be that arrogant anyway that they never think what they are doing is wrong so knocking on his/her door will only lead to direct confrontation. And it does seem like there is as in so many other ways too many people who will just not get involved with anything which is why the country is going the way it is.

ampthill

Not supporting speaking to driver directly. But if some one is consistently poor I have seen the police act…..

hora
    Free Member

Yes, most definitely. Only two things can stop a dangerous driver, Police or someones death.

Its called a section59. Call your local station and ask to be put through to someone in traffic. Don’t let desk handle it.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Absolutely yes. How one does it is a judgement call: if you can stay calm and make your point intelligently, then do it yourself. If you’ve got a raving lunatic screaming and bawling at you, then take details, video if you can, and inform the police.

Not everyone who does something stupid in a car does so out of malice. I’ve had encounters with several people who just didn’t realise that they’d put me in danger. Remind them in a level-headed way and most respond apologetically.

dan1980
    Free Member

I reported a dangerous driver after he had a go at smearing me all over the pavement. Greater Manchester police said that they’d keep the record on file and if he ever had any further driving related issues, it’d be bought up.

swisstony
    Free Member

i’d say yes, i reported a driver who was daft enough to do it in a works van. I phoned the number and reported it to them thinking that was the last i’d hear but a day or so later the MD phoned to say they take this sort of thing very seriously and the driver had been disciplined.

hora
    Free Member

Ah yes- reminds me of the truck driver I reported. 7am driving in dark shades. Almost took me out and a girl further along. His work called me straight back with two follow up calls.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Last year I reported someone who I was convinced was absolutely blind drunk turned out she was 97 or something, they revoked her license. I felt bad but safer.

project
    Free Member

Twice about 20 years ago reported 2 drivers one cut a corner turning right off amin roiad and nearly hit me, he said i shouldnt be on the road, made a statement etc, police turned up on his birthday a few days latter to take a statement off him and give him a caution, he was not happy said the police officer, but was so funny he said.
    second one car reversed out of bay frosted windows due to cold, i called him a masturbator, he chased after me slammed on brakes in front of me,jumped out of car and chased me down road, he failed to put the handbrake on, his car rolled down hill hit wall.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Nice one Project lol especially the guy chasing you while his car rolling into a wall lol brilliant!

😆

Oh and just ignore them OP unless a collision was involved.

kerv
    Free Member

Couple of weeks ago I had one try to take a mate out right in front of me, then jump on his brakes making me swerve to avoid him. When I gave him the international hand signal he proceeded to drive down the road, stop in the middle of the road, grab a golf club out of his boot and come at me with it. The boys in blue were not really interested. So as I said earlier “no and no”

bassspine
    Free Member

report it. There was one driver who was threatening cyclists on the same road regularly a few miles from here. After four or five people reported him, he got a visit from the police and ended up with a caution.

stavromuller
    Free Member

If you ever get hit, feign injury and demand an ambulance, that way the police have to be involved and your case is stronger No injury and the police don’t want to know

rkk01
    Free Member

It was on the road into our estate- so could easily have been one of the kids…

… There’s me riding along, signals right, moves to right. Check over shoulder and there’s a car coming up behind. As I come up to my right turn I hear the car go left of me, up the inside. Great I think, a driver who actually knows what they’re doing – he’s going straight on…

As I make my right turn I see him coming around right as well – overtaking me on the left, as I’m turning right, forcing me into the oncoming traffic.

He then turns right again into his road… ****’tard

Fuming

andyl
    Free Member

Yes – to the Police or if in a company van contact their company.

I had a tosser in an X5 pull away from a curb while using his phone causing me brake last week. I beeped, as anyone would, and he turned round and followed me. He then tried to ram his car into the side of mine in the middle of the town centre.

I was passing the plod station in town so called in to see if they had it on CCTV. Woman on the desk went through the CCTV for ages trying to get his details (and a nice pic of him on the phone) but sadly couldnt. Makes you wonder how useful CCTV is. But she was definitely willing to follow it up if I saw him again and got his full reg.

Xylene
    Free Member

Heard a car hoofing it down the street a few months bac, sound of a largish diesel enigned absoltuely booting it.

A local council security truck drove by going way in excess of the 20mph speed limit, he had to brake hard for my neighbour who was about to cross the road.

I conctaced the council with the vehicle number, and pointed out I knew it had a GPS unit and telemetrics attached to it and would be able to show that it was traveling faster than the 20mph.

Council contacted me back to tell me that I was right it was over the speed limit, wouldn’t say how much, and the driver was on holiday for two weeks and would be interviewed when he got back.

Hopefully he lost his job

hora
    Free Member

Personally I think you have lost the moment to approach him. I also think you’re best off (frustratingly) chalking it upto experience. I witnessed someone change lanes on the motorway with no signal and almost caused a pileup (spectacular avoiding move and ripple effect) when I got alongside the woman she was wrapped in conversation with two children. Just one of those things.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Either report to the police or if in a logoed up company vehicle report to them, I have spoken to two transport managers about being tailgated and about being cut up by lorries and both times they seamed to be interested and said they would have words.
    I have reported a coach driver for driving on the pavement and clipping a cars mirror and smashing it and the transport manager accused me of making it up !.
    Some fleet managers take complaints seriously, Telewest drivers lose their bonus if they get 2 complaints in a month.

JRTG
    Free Member

operation crackdown, google it!

chiefgrooveguru

I’m taking great delight in this Operation Crackdown. Yesterday a large Ford pickup loomed up in my mirrors and it looked like the lady driving had a compact in her steering wheel hand and was applying make-up with the other one. Moved over once I’d finished passing a slower car, had a good look and she was. Details taken, will be reported.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no point confronting them anyone know anyone who thinks they are not a great driver? Either that or they are a bell end and just wont care
    Police yes if excessive

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I contacted a local Central Heating company after one of their drivers nearly involved me and several others in a five-car pile up on a morning commute. Yes, it was within a second or so of happening. I told the telephonist they could have full details (number, road, time) when the boss phoned me back. Which he did shortly after, apologised and assured me he took it seriously. And I never again saw that van on that commuter route. Maybe he bought an alarm clock.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Dangerous Drivers – ever worth complaining?’ is closed to new replies.