Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Damp cellar / under house bit
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

A couple of years ago we had a "flood" and the space under the house collected about a foot of water. As a result the house has been quite damp for some time and has been smelling like old socks which is quite unpleasant.

This space under the house is about 2-3ft deep and I can happily crawl around into each room which is quite enjoyable in a strange adventuring kind of a way although I have to squeeze through a small hatch which reminds me of the Great Escape – sort of expect to find loads of POWs with spoons down there.

Anyway, I've cleared the space of all the crap which was down there and removed some of the loose soaked earth and it is drying out in most parts except two areas (right where the water would have entered the house and where it would have collected) which are soaked and look like they will take a long time to dry. I've checked pipework (as they are all visible) and no leaks so I assume it is just from the flood.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to dry it out quickly?

I've got a fan and a dehumidifier down there on for the majority of the time and I take some of the floor boards up when the kids are out to aid circulation (along with clearing the air bricks out)

I've thought about chucking some dry cement down there to soak up the moisture and form a sort of barrier but not sure if this is a good idea in the long run.

dartmoor_rocks
    Free Member

is there natural ventilation from outside as this should dry it out.

This is the purpose of the gap, to let the air circulate and remove moisture.

If you create more holes to the outside this would help otherwise perhaps replace the earth with sand.

I think moisture will rise through concrete and is the reason all houses have a damp course which I think is a plastic layer between brick work.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'd probably not go with the cement idea as could create havoc if it doesn't work.

2 years seems like a long time for it not to have dried out though… ❓ Sounds like you might have a ventilation problem. Check for airbricks front and back of house and that they haven't been blocked.

How old is the house?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah, there is ventilation except in one of the bits in the centre of the house which doesn't have an external wall as I suppose you wouldn't expect it to get wet. Not keen on makign any more holes than I've already made.

If I put sand down won't that just get wet? or will that get wet without the smell?

I might put the cement down, wait for it to soak up the moisture then take it out – might speed up the drying time.

Thought about putting a heater down there but not sure if this is a good idea.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

shit loads of silica gell

Bushwacked
    Free Member

House was built in 1850. Airbricks are all unblocked – did it a few weeks ago.

Think it hasn't dried out as we've not really had a hot summer for 2 years – they've all been very wet and not very warm 🙁

dartmoor_rocks
    Free Member

The sand is the opposite to your concrete, it wouldnt hold the moisture so would try out quicker.

is there a material which would soak up moisture but wouldnt solidify, clay ?

myheadsashed

High water table?
    Natural Spring nearby?
    Blocked sewer nearby?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

myheadsashed:

Maybe…
    No.
    No.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Damp cellar / under house bit’ is closed to new replies.