Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Daily low dose asprin
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m going to start taking low dose asprin as I’m 49 this year and the evidence of it helping prevent a number of illnesses is very positive. A very close friend is an oncology consultant and she says that it’s a complete no-brainer as the risks are low compared with the benefits.
    Anybody taking it already?

MSP

I thought the advice was now that the risks outweigh the benefits unless you are specifically at high risk.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nope and IIRC some recent evidence seems to be against it. Ill effects re low however ( but not non existant)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17445676

theteaboy
    Free Member

I heard a really good piece on this on R4 after the recent research (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17443454)

They interviewed the lead academic and a CRUK person. The final question was ‘do you take aspirin daily?’

The scientist (in his 50s) said that he’s taken one daily for about 3 years. The CRUK girl didn’t take one as she was in her early 30s and the research suggests that the benefits only outweigh the risks from late-30s onwards.

sharkbait
    Free Member

TJ, the evidence regarding cancer patients seems to make it worthwhile. To be honest I think I’d rather trust a consultant’s advice over something on the BBC!
    My sister has a masters in Pharmacy and her job involves advising doctors in medication use – she also advices taking asprin.
    Interesting seeing conflicting advice though.

sharkbait
    Free Member

research suggests that the benefits only outweigh the risks from late-30s onwards.

Yep, my consultant friend (early 40’s) said she’s not going to take it yet but undoubtedly will when she gets to 48/49.

ton

dont know if it is of any interest, but i take warfarin, to thin my blood.
    asparin is the same kind of drug i think??
    since i have been taking warfarin, i do not suffer from headaches at all, and if i do any exercise, i do not suffer from muscle ache or stiffness.

any idea why anyone?

qwerty
    Free Member

dont know if it is of any interest, but i take warfarin, to thin my blood.
    asprin is the same kind of drug i think??

Warfarin is an anti coagulant (or X Men superhero!)

Asprin is an anti platelet

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Daily low dose asprin’ is closed to new replies.