Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cycling in wet sand
  • On a route off road to a trail centre I pass through about 300 yards of reasonably deep wet sand. I’m running x2 2.25 tyres with low pressure and my back wheel just slides around (the trail left is like a drunk) but manage to keep some composure on the front.

Had to push last time cos i couldn’t get any momentum at times and the route seems to be getting worse so any advice would be welcome

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

go round the sand.

druidh
    Free Member

You just need wider tyres

Does my bum look big in this? by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

If you fall in, don’t wriggle around. It’ll only initiate liquefaction.. Try and get yourself on your back, and use your arms to paddle yourself to solid ground.

Lol

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

mud tyres – I seem to remember my 1.95 continental edges did better on sand that my other tyres.

kayak23

…..back to the land where your clothes were stolen..
    (morrissey content)

spooky_b329

Treat it as a challenge. If you get properly stuck, the game is to see how many turns of the cranks you can get in before keeling over. (Its surprising how on the third turn the bike sometimes manages to claw forwards)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Be thankful the sand is wet, in my experience the order of difficulty increases with frozen, wet, dry sand. Just walk, it’s 300 yds, or find a detour. Even if you ride through it you’ll just throw sand into the drivetrain and suspension, doesn’t seem worth it.

elzorillo
    Free Member

About a third of my route (did it last night) is VERY sandy.. Just keeping the front end as light as possible usually does the trick for me.

loum
    Free Member

speed and a bunnyhop

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Classic STW – three posts in and the answer to your problem is another / new bike 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cycling in wet sand’ is closed to new replies.