Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cyclemter app oddness post ios5
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Any users of cyclemeter app experieced strange readings in the ascent/descent figures?

My usual ascent figure for my commute to work is just under 500ft, after the ios5 update the app recorded 949ft. On the return journey which is a different route to my ride in its gone up from around 1000ft to just under 1800ft.

Has something been done to make these figures more accurate on the phone? I know cyclemeter has had a ios5 update which I’ve got.

Gary_M
    Free Member

anyone?

njee20
    Free Member

How long is your commute? Does it feel more like 500ft, or 1000ft!?

scaredypants

they’re all out at the phone shop just now

Gary_M
    Free Member

commute is 20 miles. Dunno if its feels like 1000ft or 1800ft, there is a lot of climbing on the return route though.

😀 scaredypants

njee20
    Free Member

1800ft in 20 miles is pretty hilly, I’d call that a hilly ride, 1000ft less so.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ll run another app with elevation figures and compare the two, does seem a bit strange though and thought maybe the new ios had tweaks to improve the elevation tracking.

njee20
    Free Member

Seems a bit odd, it must have done something to the algorithm. The iPhone uses GPS altitude, which is inherently innacurate, but it usually over estimates, not under. Have you ‘drawn’ your route on Bike Hike or similar – they give you altitude, but again, can be inaccurate.

scaredypants

seems odd that it’s almost doubled – might it be combining gain and descent ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

It doesn’t really matter but would be nice to know I’m climbing 1800ft rather than 1000ft, that would explain why I’m totally **** all the time 😉

njee20
    Free Member

That’s still not that much really!

Know anyone who’s got a computer with barometric altitude? Ride it with them!

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s still not that much really!

Five days a week sucker!!

legolam
    Free Member

Mine seems to have read a slightly higher ascent/descent on the way to work this morning. Looking at the graph, it looks like it is recording the same elevation but more of the ups and downs during the route. I’ll report back on the total figures once I get home tonight.

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe it’s increased the sampling rate, thus making it less accurate as it’s picking up more differences in the GPS height.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve exported the stats and on my route home I climb from 73ft to 1012ft with a few ups and downs in there but nothing significant – then drop to 301 feet so it is definately over 1000ft of climbing although not sure if the small ups and downs would add up to another 800ft.

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t Endomondo et al do this? Or does it just take the figures from the phone?

Gary_M
    Free Member

No sure Endomondo shows elevation but I’ve got motionx-gps and sprint gps so I’ll try it with both of them and compare.

njee20
    Free Member

I meant the uploading bit, ie does it cross check altitude with it’s own figures, or just use those from the device? Not sure it would really help though!

legolam
    Free Member

Well, my commute along the pancake flat river Tyne has gone from a believable 300ft total ascent to 1300ft …

Odd.

njee20
    Free Member

Sounds wrong then! Rivers tend not to climb 1300ft in short distances!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cyclemter app oddness post ios5’ is closed to new replies.