Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Cycle to work Scheme – Being turned down!!
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

The 50% of commuting to work allows you to ride to for example ride from home to the train station and get in to work on the train for a shorter journey and vice-a-versa.

You can also use the bike for exercise during your lunch hour, this is classed as acceptable useage.

These are the guide lines set out in our companies handbook anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

What annoys me most about the scheme and many other schemes that the Government run is that they are only available to employees if the employer takes it on.

Yep, and the employers who won't sign up also probably pay less and treat their workers worse than the ones who do.

Child care vouchers should at least be mandatory.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It's fair to say there are advantages to working for a huge company, we get all sorts of vouchers from child care to health care and shopping discounts i.e. you can buy say £400 worth of Sainsburys vouchers before tax so you pay less for them if you know what I mean, like bike 2 work for food – but you don't have to give it back. 😆

tracknicko
    Free Member

you can buy pre tax shopping vouchers? surely not…

kelvin

My commute is 25 miles each way. Only do it occasionally, but the bike I do it on is used almost exclusively for this. Not bought on the scheme, but it shows that it would be reasonable to buy a bike on the scheme for this use I feel. Living more than x miles away from work shouldn't exclude you.

rootes1

My commute is 25 miles each way. Only do it occasionally, but the bike I do it on is used almost exclusively for this. Not bought on the scheme, but it shows that it would be reasonable to buy a bike on the scheme for this use I feel. Living more than x miles away from work shouldn't exclude you.

I have had my brompton for over 4 years and use it in combination with the train to get into london from woking – it was not bought on a c2w scheme.

just got a single speed road bike on a scheme and plan to use it once a week to ride in all the way – done it a few times so far approx 30miles each way adds 50mins on the train/brompton combo

ourmaninthenorth

Back to the tax point, presumably the company can write down the value of its asset on whatever basis it likes (subject to GAAP etc.)?

miketually
    Free Member

Pre-tax supermarket vouchers? Surely that's not legal?

cynic-al
    Free Member

backhander – Member
    Poke that, HMRC are welcome to come and value my bike if they want.
    I will not be volunteering to pay them anything.

Wow, get you! You won't be keeping the bike neither!

druidh
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    Pre-tax supermarket vouchers? Surely that's not legal?

Why not? It's simply another form of remuneration, upon which tax will be paid on the Benefit in Kind.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Cycle to work Scheme – Being turned down!!’ is closed to new replies.